2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
That will probably change I would think.

55 games left, if the Sox play .400 ball (22-33), they lose 100 games--and I think that gets them #2. Marlins would have to go 19-35 to lose 100, which could happen, but they just went 30-24 the middle 54 games, so they are improving.

I'm just as fine with the #2 pick as I would be with #1. I do think though that #3 is where the drop-off begins. Early though.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 10:30 AM)
I'm just as fine with the #2 pick as I would be with #1. I do think though that #3 is where the drop-off begins. Early though.

I don't necessarily agree with this. If the Sox want a college pitcher, maybe. If Gatewood or Jackson has a huge HS year then the Sox even at #3 would be sitting pretty for those guys. If Beede has a big year he could be there as well. There is a lot of college pitching talent in this draft. Obviously a lot can change, but I don't see the Marlins taking a HS player that high.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
I don't necessarily agree with this. If the Sox want a college pitcher, maybe. If Gatewood or Jackson has a huge HS year then the Sox even at #3 would be sitting pretty for those guys. If Beede has a big year he could be there as well. There is a lot of college pitching talent in this draft. Obviously a lot can change, but I don't see the Marlins taking a HS player that high.

If Hoffman does end up being the projected #1 and Astros get the first pick, I'm not so sure they take a RHP given their organization right now. Rondon would make a lot more sense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 09:12 PM)
If Hoffman does end up being the projected #1 and Astros get the first pick, I'm not so sure they take a RHP given their organization right now.

What do you mean? They will take an inferior player just because he's left-handed? I don't see that from Luhnow. Similarly, I'd be quite upset if the White Sox passed on Rodon if they thought he was the best player available, due to our current rotation being too left handed.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
A lot of things are going to change between now and the draft. Astros are going to have the #1 pick though.

That's true. Even if the Sox lose tonight, they would have to be 6 games worse than the Astros in the final 50 games, because tie goes to the Astros.

Just play .400 ball, lose 100 games, and we'll get the 2nd or 3rd pick.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
That's true. Even if the Sox lose tonight, they would have to be 6 games worse than the Astros in the final 50 games, because tie goes to the Astros.

Just play .400 ball, lose 100 games, and we'll get the 2nd or 3rd pick.

Less than 40 games actually.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
Astros have played too "well" for the Sox to catch them. It's game on vs the Marlins to see who gets the 2nd spot. It's definitely a weird feeling hoping the Cubs win.

I really don't even worry at this point. You primarily want a top 5 pick. The #1 pick has historically been the best bet, but there's really not a lot of variation 2-5.

What would be nice to avoid would be winning like 28 of 38 from here on out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
I've seen some experts discuss that Jacob Gatewood has not had an impressive summer and is unlikely to be a top 5 pick now. Seems like it's Rodon and Hoffman as the top 2 picks as of now.

Don't read too much into that, he is a 17 year old kid, and these guys have a full season to play before the draft so don't read too much into anything.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
Don't read too much into that, he is a 17 year old kid, and these guys have a full season to play before the draft so don't read too much into anything.

If he really is as talented as people say, hopefully he has a really bad year and falls to the Sox in the 2nd.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
Astros have played too "well" for the Sox to catch them. It's game on vs the Marlins to see who gets the 2nd spot. It's definitely a weird feeling hoping the Cubs win.

I'm more worried about falling out of the top 3 then getting number 2 at this point.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 06:20 AM)
Sox are within 5 games of the 11th pick in the draft. Please start losing games. Lots of games. K, thanks.

That would be the final kick in the a** for this season. Play just well enough in the final ~40 games to put us out of the top 10. :angry:

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 07:45 AM)
I like watching the Sox win

That's great. I like watching the Sox win when the season is not already lost. The Sox must have a top 5 pick in this draft. It just allows you to spend more $$. That is the most important thing now.