Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
Enough already. Can somebody get the Adam Dunn value debate 'the hell outta the Alex Rios trade thread?

Fine, thanks ruining all the fun.

Tyler Skaggs is probably gonna take Trevor Cahill's spot in the rotation.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/alex_rios/

By Mark Polishuk [June 30, 2013 at 6:31pm CST]

White Sox outfielder Alex Rios is drawing interest from several teams as the trade deadline approaches, and the Rangers, Diamondbacks and Giants are a few of the clubs scouting the veteran, industry sources tell ESPN Chicago's Bruce Levine. Rios heard about the Rangers' interest first-hand from former teammate and current Texas catcher A.J. Pierzynski.

"A.J. contacted me the other day and said his team was talking about trying to get me,” Rios said. “All players want to be on a winner and in our situation it has been tough to win. I love it here in Chicago and so does my family but this is the time of year teams make these decisions. We have put ourselves in that position.”

Rios has a limited no-trade clause that allows him to block deals to six teams. The right fielder said his preference would be to remain in Chicago but "if they give me a choice I will have to weigh my options.” Levine opines that if Rios if presented with a deal to a contending team, he will waive his no-trade clause.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)

All players want to be on a winner and in our situation it has been tough to win.

Rios really has a way with words sometimes, he sometimes doesn't come off well, like he's not to blame for anything. Wasn't the situation he was referring to created by the very players themselves?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
Comiskey Park Hitmen ‏@CPHSox 2h

So Alex Rios can block trades to the Yankees, Diamondbacks, Astros, Rockies, Royals and Athletics.

But not the Blue Jays?? :huh: (Not that they would ever want him)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
All players want to be on a winner and in our situation it has been tough to win.

Rios really has a way with words sometimes, he sometimes doesn't come off well, like he's not to blame for anything. Wasn't the situation he was referring to created by the very players themselves?

Well, he did say, "we have put ourselves in that position". I thought he came off very well in those quotes.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
But not the Blue Jays?? :huh: (Not that they would ever want him)

Its because his contract was agreed to by the Blue Jays. White Sox have never offered him a contract. The no trade clause and the teams listed go back to when he signed the extension with the Blue Jays a number of years ago.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
Irony.

I thought that was a good quote. It sounded like he taking ownership in saying that he's part of the problem.

I agree. I have actually grown fond of Rios. A better than league average right fielder and I don't think, statistically speaking, Hunter Pence comparisons are too far off base. I also think that, especially with the level of outfielders available and the general direction of the franchise that the Sox absolutely must trade Rios this deadline.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
I agree. I have actually grown fond of Rios. A better than league average right fielder and I don't think, statistically speaking, Hunter Pence comparisons are too far off base. I also think that, especially with the level of outfielders available and the general direction of the franchise that the Sox absolutely must trade Rios this deadline.

Rios is the best OF on the market right now. I don't think there's any question that he will not be around for the next contender, and so we need to take advantage of the fact that his value will never be higher.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
Its because his contract was agreed to by the Blue Jays. White Sox have never offered him a contract. The no trade clause and the teams listed go back to when he signed the extension with the Blue Jays a number of years ago.

That makes sense. He's not very liked up there, so I would think that would be #1 on his list.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
Rios is the best OF on the market right now. I don't think there's any question that he will not be around for the next contender, and so we need to take advantage of the fact that his value will never be higher.

He's under contract until 2015 if we want him, so I hope he is around for our next contender. With that said, you can trade him, get something real nice back in return, and spend that salary on a similar player in the offseason AND have prospects.

I think you guys are going to be surprised when Rios doesn't get moved. I still can't imagine a GM taking a gamble on Rios considering his potential for turning into crud. Remember how long it took Rios to start producing the last time he switched teams??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
I think you guys are going to be surprised when Rios doesn't get moved. I still can't imagine a GM taking a gamble on Rios considering his potential for turning into crud. Remember how long it took Rios to start producing the last time he switched teams??

40 games?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 05:14 PM)
40 games?

He stunk that entire first season with the Sox. Why haven't we traded him yet?? I still think it's going to be tough to deal him. He has a Jose Guillen type vibe to him. We shall see who is right and who is wrong re. Rios. I say we get very little for him; we'll see if you guys are right.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
He stunk that entire first season with the Sox. Why haven't we traded him yet?? I still think it's going to be tough to deal him. He has a Jose Guillen type vibe to him. We shall see who is right and who is wrong re. Rios. I say we get very little for him; we'll see if you guys are right.

That entire first season was 41 games

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 05:05 AM)
That entire first season was 41 games

But he also stunk in 2011. Seeing what we get for Rios is really going to be interesting. We're going to learn what people think of Alex Rios.

He stunk before we got him, he finally put it together here, after a bit. Well, for at least that half season.

I just went back and checked his stats and I am remembering something waaaay different. Must be the beer. Just ignore most of what is in this post.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
But he also stunk in 2011. Seeing what we get for Rios is really going to be interesting. We're going to learn what people think of Alex Rios.

Meh, I disagree. If the SOX don't get what they want for Rios, they won't move him. I think the SOX should trade everyone they can, but Rios is a guy that actually makes the team better. If they can't get what they want for him, keep him in RF through 2015.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
Meh, I disagree. If the SOX don't get what they want for Rios, they won't move him. I think the SOX should trade everyone they can, but Rios is a guy that actually makes the team better. If they can't get what they want for him, keep him in RF through 2015.

Absolutely. Peavy and Rios are the same way. They are guys that you do not have to trade. Only move them right now for a good package. You don't have to trade them yet.