Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
Imagine if Rios went there and went all bad Rios.

Upton/Rios in the same OF being bad, yikes.

Heyward has struggled mightily for most of the season, too.

Don't believe anyone but the pitching coach there will be planning on getting a contract extension anytime soon.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
Someone said Rios is a good fit for ATL... I don't about that but De Aza may be a good fit.

I know they're invested in Upton for the future but this year may be lost with him. Get De Aza in there against tough RHP and to fill a hole if they have injuries.

That might actually make some sense. They're not going to put $15 million out there extra next year as a 4th OF, but an arb-year player who can move positions could be a good hole filler.

If we trade him to the Tigers we'll never know if Rios would have been a bust with his next team. In the 19 games against the Sox next year and 16 in the second half this year he'll hit .420 with 18 or more homers (in 35 games) and about 60 RBIs. Trade him out of the division for gosh sakes. He'll kill the Sox just because he will.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
If we trade him to the Tigers we'll never know if Rios would have been a bust with his next team. In the 19 games against the Sox next year and 16 in the second half this year he'll hit .420 with 18 or more homers (in 35 games) and about 60 RBIs. Trade him out of the division for gosh sakes. He'll kill the Sox just because he will.

When people offer you bath salts, you say no

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
There's a lot of chatter about Morales and Schierholtz for Pittsburgh. That might be a better scenario for Pirates. They could get Kendrys Morales to play 1B and Schierholtz to platoon with Tabata in RF and it's still cheaper than Rios.

Schierholtz blows.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 10:56 PM)
Here's what I've been told...(one source), FWIW

- Close on a couple deals (real names exchanged)

- Sale is not untouchable

- Several guys are on their way out just to be gone (out of favor with RV)

Anything new on any of this? I'm fiending.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
He has hit pretty well this year

He's actually hit better than Rios this season. But that will happen with someone that has extreme platoon splits if they're used correctly. If a team doesn't want to give up *quality* prospects, I could certainly see Schierholtz being a good alternative.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Best news I was told is that Rick is definitely willing to send $ in the right deal to improve the return.

Good to hear. The farm desperately needs talent in all facets. Really hoping Peavy looks great before the deadline and brings back a noteworthy piece or two. Still in prospect mode after yesterday's Futures Game. Some real nice blue chips on display.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
The market for Rios is really weak right now.

He's too risky an acquisition for a GM. Rios is the kind of player who can get a GM fired. My guess is we can't move him unless it's for 2 really really fringe prospects. Agreed bucket of suck?