Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
He's too risky an acquisition for a GM. Rios is the kind of player who can get a GM fired. My guess is we can't move him unless it's for 2 really really fringe prospects. Agreed bucket of suck?

He's also the kind of guy that can get a GM and a manager an extension. Your glass isn't even half-empty, it's always empty. You talk about Jesse Crain like he's a year away from a senior discount when he's been one of the best relievers in the league.

Alex Rios is a good player who, like everyone, wants this situation resolved, but Hahn has to get scouting reports and offers and evaluate and posture, and other teams have to do the same thing, and all the while Rios is twisting in the wind never knowing where he's going to be employed the following day. It's not easy for him right now, but he's handling it like a champ. Maybe relax and let it all play out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
He's also the kind of guy that can get a GM and a manager an extension. Your glass isn't even half-empty, it's always empty. You talk about Jesse Crain like he's a year away from a senior discount when he's been one of the best relievers in the league.

Alex Rios is a good player who, like everyone, wants this situation resolved, but Hahn has to get scouting reports and offers and evaluate and posture, and other teams have to do the same thing, and all the while Rios is twisting in the wind never knowing where he's going to be employed the following day. It's not easy for him right now, but he's handling it like a champ. Maybe relax and let it all play out.

Rios has hit 1 homer the last 52 games. I don't think it's accurate to pin all his struggles on trade rumors.

I personally think he would be far better off going to a team like Texas, where he could hit 5th or 6th and being really a secondary player than going to a team like Pittsburgh where he will be counted on to be a difference-maker with a spotlight on him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)

I agree. People always say on here that this player has little value and then when we do make a trade, that they expected more for that one player. Rios, Alexei, Peavy, Lindstrom and Crain all have value to teams. I expect Hahn to make the right moves. Hopefully.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 10:56 PM)
Here's what I've been told...(one source), FWIW

- Close on a couple deals (real names exchanged)

- Sale is not untouchable

- Several guys are on their way out just to be gone (out of favor with RV)

Now that's a heck of a reason to give them away: because a manager who shouldn't be here doesn't like them.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
Now that's a heck of a reason to give them away: because a manager who shouldn't be here doesn't like them.

And if he did like the players people would say it was proof he didn't know what he was doing because they can't play. RV cannot win on this board. It's funny, posters say the Sox talent level is weak but they don't win because the manager is bad.

Personally, I would like the White Sox to put a little more weight on baseball acumen, and a little less on being "toolsy" when evaluating players. Something of a mix. Obviously they need to have talent, but not always more is better. The Sox need some baseball players, not just athletes disguised as them.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Best news I was told is that Rick is definitely willing to send $ in the right deal to improve the return.

Knowing how Kenny operated, and seeing Hahn kind of doing some of the samethings, I would guess that he has specific names he wants from each team for each player/players, and he is waiting until someone agrees to his package.

This kind of thing happens often, and a lot of times it won't be due to a player "sucking" but some sort of blatant disrespect towards the manager. If there is a rift in the clubhouse, overall team chemistry will degrade and tensions will be high, which in turn will lead to poor overall play and players that are pressing.

To me, that fits Ramirez, Viciedo, and De Aza to a T. Maybe the Sox should considering bringing in a latino coach who the players will hold in high esteem to at least have someone within the clubhouse who is capable of relating with the latino players.

People get run out of workplaces all of the time because of personality conflicts. It is normal. A boss wants "his" guys.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
And if he did like the players people would say it was proof he didn't know what he was doing because they can't play. RV cannot win on this board. It's funny, posters say the Sox talent level is weak but they don't win because the manager is bad.

Personally, I would like the White Sox to put a little more weight on baseball acumen, and a little less on being "toolsy" when evaluating players. Something of a mix. Obviously they need to have talent, but not always more is better. The Sox need some baseball players, not just athletes disguised as them.

I agree that the Sox just need baseball players. They might not be the most athletic person in the world, but knows how to play the game and is smart about it. That's the problem though, we know that Hahn and Kenny aren't looking at guys that are that, but very toolsy and raw.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)

This is so true. You loved him last year. He's the same guy. Please, everyone, admit to yourselves that you just need a scapegoat. RV should not be causing any stress to anyone.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
I agree that the Sox just need baseball players. They might not be the most athletic person in the world, but knows how to play the game and is smart about it. That's the problem though, we know that Hahn and Kenny aren't looking at guys that are that, but very toolsy and raw.

And this is why they signed Keppinger in the offseason and have had guys like Kotsay, Vizquel, and Erstad on the roster before.

It's ridiculous to assume that [all] they want [are] players that are toolsy and raw. They want talented players, they have specific players in mind, and I bet those players cover a wide range and variety of player types. They will add the players that make the most sense after risk and reward is calculated.

I'm not going to lie, I am kinda shocked so many of you are so low on Rios. Ya, he's cooled lately, but he is a damn good baseball player and I think he is definitely a nice piece to be had at the trade deadline. If the Sox didn't get something worthwhile for him, I see no point in moving him. Getting fringe prospects at best isn't really worth trading him for.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
This kind of thing happens often, and a lot of times it won't be due to a player "sucking" but some sort of blatant disrespect towards the manager. If there is a rift in the clubhouse, overall team chemistry will degrade and tensions will be high, which in turn will lead to poor overall play and players that are pressing.

To me, that fits Ramirez, Viciedo, and De Aza to a T. Maybe the Sox should considering bringing in a latino coach who the players will hold in high esteem to at least have someone within the clubhouse who is capable of relating with the latino players.

Viciedo?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
Viciedo?

He's been struggling and pressing like crazy. This is his worst season as a professional by far. There's no reason he shouldn't at least be adequate against righties, but he seemingly swings at everything.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
He's been struggling and pressing like crazy. This is his worst season as a professional by far. There's no reason he shouldn't at least be adequate against righties, but he seemingly swings at everything.

I hope it's pressing, but I fear it's just that he can't recognize pitches well enough to hit consistently in the Major Leagues.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
People get run out of workplaces all of the time because of personality conflicts. It is normal. A boss wants "his" guys.

If we had a real professional manager who was building this team for the long-haul, I can understand. But the Sox gave Swisher away because he smited Ozzie, after we paid a heavy price for him a year earlier. You can't just give players away. And if teams do that, why haven't we gotten our share of gifts?

Getting some replacement level or a little above players is fine. But we won't do anything if we don't have a couple of really stud hitters around them. This team has several of those replacement+ types - Alexei, De Aza two name two, although they have debased themselves this year with poor defense and clowning on the basepaths.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
If we had a real professional manager who was building this team for the long-haul, I can understand. But the Sox gave Swisher away because he smited Ozzie, after we paid a heavy price for him a year earlier. You can't just give players away. And if teams do that, why haven't we gotten our share of gifts?

Getting some replacement level or a little above players is fine. But we won't do anything if we don't have a couple of really stud hitters around them. This team has several of those replacement+ types - Alexei, De Aza two name two, although they have debased themselves this year with poor defense and clowning on the basepaths.

We have. Thornton, Quintana, Gillaspie come to mind.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
He's too risky an acquisition for a GM. Rios is the kind of player who can get a GM fired. My guess is we can't move him unless it's for 2 really really fringe prospects. Agreed bucket of suck?

I wouldn't say that. It's just not nearly the value the media is presenting. That could change though.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 06:59 PM)

I was watching Sports Talk Live and they were saying of a possibility of Rios going to the Yankees. I find this hard to be true, given the source.

Did that panel of fools mention Rios would no-trade veto that deal in a New York minute?

LOL I saw that and thought the same thing. That's just Cubs Talk Live