Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
With everyone, honestly.

I am hoping there will be a slew of trades in the next two hours.

Bowden said at this point everyone waits until the very end to report their trades so that their rivals don't have time to react.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 06:03 PM)
Why? Rios' value is extremely low right now, and it's not like he's a terrible playelikely hat the Sox need to do everything ingetting ir power to get rid of. Some of these deals suggesting paying a majority of his remaining contract only to get an average prospect seems like a bad deal for the organization.

Agreed. If we put in a bunch of cash, we better get a top prospect. At which point the other team has to justify giving that up for Alex Rios. Neither is likely to happen I would imagine. Not sure getting rid of Rios makes sense right now unless the market is better than we think. He does get more expensive if and when we trade him next year, but that's about it.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
If they don't move Rios, they have to start taking away AB's from Konerko. Call Garcia up and shift Viciedo to DH.

I know the Sox would never do this, but I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea to give Garcia some more time in Triple-A. He basically flew up from A+ to the majors and still has a lot of work to do on his plate discipline. He just turned 22, he's younger then basically all of our top prospects (Phegley, E. Johnson, Trayce Thompson etc etc).

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
If they don't move Rios, they have to start taking away AB's from Konerko. Call Garcia up and shift Viciedo to DH.

I don't have a problem letting Garcia tear up charlotte for another month. His minor league track record of dominance is pretty sh ort.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
I'm frankly surprised he's not a Yankee, honestly.

You don't think they have any idea how bad he has been this year? Can't hit for average or power, doesn't walk, can't run, can't field. Other than that, teams would love to have him.

Edited by Dick Allen

Why? Rios' value is extremely low right now, and it's not like he's a terrible player that the Sox need to do everything in their power to get rid of. Some of these deals suggesting paying a majority of his remaining contract only to get an average prospect seems like a bad deal for the organization.

Because we have his replacement in the organization, and other holes to fill. He should be a salary dump.

See, this is where I would argue we should have been trading pieces that had some perceived value. Keep the guys that are semi-productive that no one wants, but deal the guys that are younger and cost-controlled for better prospects.

I know the Org probably thinks we aren't that far away, but I disagree. The odds that any of the guys on this current team are going to be major contributors to future success is relatively low, IMO.

Trading Reed, De Aza, Beckham, Sale (gasp), could have brought back a slew of prospects that would form the basis of our next core.

I think that route would have been preferable to the half-ass re-tool we are doing yet again.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
See, this is where I would argue we should have been trading pieces that had some perceived value. Keep the guys that are semi-productive that no one wants, but deal the guys that are younger and cost-controlled for better prospects.

I know the Org probably thinks we aren't that far away, but I disagree. The odds that any of the guys on this current team are going to be major contributors to future success is relatively low, IMO.

Trading Reed, De Aza, Beckham, Sale (gasp), could have brought back a slew of prospects that would form the basis of our next core.

I think that route would have been preferable to the half-ass re-tool we are doing yet again.

Sale would of created a big splash, big unless you are getting a surefire young front line starter and all star position player back, it's probably not worth it. Unless you are in the camp where you think Sale is going to break down soon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
What else would Hahn say? We have to make trades and shed payroll ASAP?

I'M FREAKING OUT! I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!! WHY WON'T ANYONE TAKE RIOS!!??

Would of been more interesting soundbite