Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
The idea of a rotating DH has actually intrigued me. It allows you to play matchups better, get guys rest while keeping guys active, keeps everyone fresh in the field, and whatever other advantages you have.

I do actually believe this is for real too because he was a good hitter all his life.

Let Phegley, Flowers, and a lefty who can catch and play other positions (someone like Ryan Doumit, but not Ryan Doumit, because he's a terrible catcher) be the primary catchers. Then you can use 2 catchers in your lineup and still have an emergency catcher on the bench.

Tyler flowers can not hit enough for that to make sense.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
When do you guys think the first move is?

Here's what I've been told...(one source), FWIW

- Close on a couple deals (real names exchanged)

- Sale is not untouchable

- Several guys are on their way out just to be gone (out of favor with RV)

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)

DeAza and Flowers might be two of them for the last category.

Maybe Ramirez or Viciedo, although they seem to be doing everything possible to get Dayan to come back around and be productive.

Possibly Keppinger.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)
Post ASB. Probably a reliever.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 11:56 PM)

Thanks

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
DeAza and Flowers might be two of them for the last category.

Maybe Ramirez or Viciedo, although they seem to be doing everything possible to get Dayan to come back around and be productive.

Possibly Keppinger.

I have a feeling it's Alexei and DeAza. That closed door meeting was Rick getting RV's thoughts on the current roster and the coming shakeup.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 10:56 PM)

What teams is Hahn listening to for Sale?

What names have been discussed?

What players out of favor?

Better be one of the biggest hauls ever.

Thanks bucket. I was waiting for you or Rock to give us something. Appreciate it man.

You have to assume that the player that probably fell out of favor moreso than anyone else has to be De Aza. He has been brutal this year, which is saying something considering he has been one of the most productive offensive players on an offensively challenged team.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 06:07 AM)
Well here's something. Buster Olney tweeted that the DBacks have been looking at Peavy and that the Sox have had scouts at their games to watch Randall Delgado. What you guys think?

That would be an interesting deal. On one hand, Delgado has had decent numbers so far in his major league starts. On the other hand. I would rather get positional talent for a guy like Peavy. Would much rather get Matt Davidson out of the deal and I think he is pretty blocked.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 06:14 AM)
That would be an interesting deal. On one hand, Delgado has had decent numbers so far in his major league starts. On the other hand. I would rather get positional talent for a guy like Peavy. Would much rather get Matt Davidson out of the deal and I think he is pretty blocked.

It is interesting. I was thinking the same thing as to why they would be looking at pitching. Unless maybe they feel confident enough we can get a good return for Rios & Crain.

Honestly I would offer Peavy and Alexei for Delgado, Davidson and Gregarious and see if they bite.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 06:07 AM)
Well here's something. Buster Olney tweeted that the DBacks have been looking at Peavy and that the Sox have had scouts at their games to watch Randall Delgado. What you guys think?

I'd take Delgado.

You'd get this starting five next year:

Sale - Delgado - Quintana - Johnson - Santiago

For a rebuilding team, that's a nice start.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)
Tomorrow, for my birthday, they will have traded Lexi and Crain for Matt Adams.

I was watching a bit of the Cubs/Cards game yesterday, and my first thought when I saw Adams was "He'd be awesome on the Sox." Looks like a young Adam Dunn, but so far at least it looks like he can hit for average better. The Cubs announcers were saying that the getting him enough playing time has been a struggle for the Cards. I think the Sox could give him plenty of playing time.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 06:24 AM)
I was watching a bit of the Cubs/Cards game yesterday, and my first thought when I saw Adams was "He'd be awesome on the Sox." Looks like a young Adam Dunn, but so far at least it looks like he can hit for average better. The Cubs announcers were saying that the getting him enough playing time has been a struggle for the Cards. I think the Sox could give him plenty of playing time.

from bleacherreport.com

The Cardinals have been so successful this year that a midseason trade does not make sense. Short of trying to overwhelm the Colorado Rockies for their star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki by offering them a package that included Adams (to replace Todd Helton) and any number of young pitchers, the reward of a potential trade right now is not worth the risk. The team can certainly hold onto Adams for the remainder of this year hoping that he gets enough at-bats through his spot starts and pinch hitting opportunities to continue his growth. Relegating Adams back to the minors would be insulting at this point as he has proven that he is well beyond that level offensively. In 2010 and 2011 in A and AA ball respectively, Adams hit over .300 with more than 20 home runs and 85 RBIs each year, and he was on pace to reach those numbers again last year in AAA before his injury.

Adams will likely be a very valuable asset for the Cards coming off the bench late in the year as a pinch hitter with power. With a chance to do special things this year, the Cardinals would be wise to keep Adams through the 2013 campaign. However when the season is over the Cardinals will really need to assess their plans for him both long term and short term. With promising prospects in the minors ready to break through, such as Oscar Taveras, in addition to the already solid major league lineup, the Cards appear to have too many pieces going forward. Although Adams is in good standing with the club, he may end up being the odd man out.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 12:56 AM)
You have to assume that the player that probably fell out of favor moreso than anyone else has to be De Aza. He has been brutal this year, which is saying something considering he has been one of the most productive offensive players on an offensively challenged team.

Yeah I think you are right. bucket has been right on it in the past and this fits. It just seems like De Aza hasn't taken to coaching at all. Same mistakes in OF. Same bad approach too often at the dish. OTOH, I don't think De Aza is a leadoff hitter and he's actually quite productive for what he should be. I would actually be surprised if he's on the team in August at this point.