Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

And the ONLY player we conceivably could have kept that would have dramatically improved our position in the standings (assuming he put up the same numbers as he has in Pittsburgh) in 2013 is Francisco Liriano, and there might have been 2 or 3 people on entire board who wanted to keep him for this season.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
I just don't understand what you want out of this team. You hate even thinking about the team rebuilding, yet you are in favor of driving one of its only good players out of town because you don't like his style.

Eminor, I thought I made my position clear. Trade all everyday players except maybe Beckham and maybe Tank. Keep ALL pitchers except Peavy, Crain, Thornton.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
And the ONLY player we conceivably could have kept that would have dramatically improved our position in the standings (assuming he put up the same numbers as he has in Pittsburgh) in 2013 is Francisco Liriano, and there might have been 2 or 3 people on entire board who wanted to keep him for this season.

But wasn't Liriano's deal with the Pirates held up for a long time due to complications with a physical? I remember that being the case, and they had to renegotiate or soemthing later on. Liriano is just one of those guys you see every year that goes off more or less out of nowhere. There are tons of players loaded with ability who look like they have fallen off completely & will never get back to prior (no pun intended) performance levels, and usually they just stay where they are in that basement until they fall out of the league period. Can't really imagine Liriano being back under any circumstances, especially with the Sox lefty depth & his physical issues.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Eminor, I thought I made my position clear. Trade all everyday players except maybe Beckham and maybe Tank. Keep ALL pitchers except Peavy, Crain, Thornton.

Then why get upset when people talk about draft picks?

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
We need position players....

We need solid talent period. The only starting pitching prospect I see that looks like a lock to contribute in the near future is Erik Johnson. You take the best players that are available in these trade talks.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
I would like to think this site is better than thinking Rios could net Skaggs. Good god.

I completely disagree with you . Sox throws in some money plus you have Rios for another 1 1/2 years plus an option. A team in the West will be willing to take that risk because that division is for the taking. Look at what San Fran gave up for 2 months of Beltran. They got Zach Wheeler. I don't think getting Skaggs is a pipe dream. Would I do it if I was the GM of Arizona-NO. But they are desperate and need offense immediately in their outfield. Many trades like this have happened in the past.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
I completely disagree with you . Sox throws in some money plus you have Rios for another 1 1/2 years plus an option. A team in the West will be willing to take that risk because that division is for the taking. Look at what San Fran gave up for 2 months of Beltran. They got Zach Wheeler. I don't think getting Skaggs is a pipe dream. Would I do it if I was the GM of Arizona-NO. But they are desperate and need offense immediately in their outfield. Many trades like this have happened in the past.

Everyone thought that Wheeler was an overpay though, even at the time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
This is the same GM who dealt Trevor Bauer, Matt Albers, and Bryan Shaw for Didi Gregorius, Lars Anderson, and Tony Sipp. I wouldn't rule anything out.

Also, let us not forget the glut of starting pitching the Diamondbacks have in the minors. Skaggs, Bradley, Holmberg, and now Shipley. They have depth to deal.

People need to look past typical player valuations when discussing deadline deals. If a team feels they're one player from being a legit World Series threat, more often than not they'll be willing to pay a premium to get that player. With the new wild card rules, we now have even more buyers and less sellers than we normally would, which only increases the amount of teams willing to pay such a premium.

Rios is going to be one of the few impact bats available at the deadline, at a position of need for many contenders. He's also under team control for 2 1/2 seasons at below market rates. He should be one of the most valuable players at the deadline and there's a very good chance IMO tha someone will be willing to offer something stupid for him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
People need to look past typical player valuations when discussing deadline deals. If a team feels they're one player from being a legit World Series threat, more often than not they'll be willing to pay a premium to get that player. With the new wild card rules, we now have even more buyers and less sellers than we normally would, which only increases the amount of teams willing to pay such a premium.

Rios is going to be one of the few impact bats available at the deadline, at a position of need for many contenders. He's also under team control for 2 1/2 seasons at below market rates. He should be one of the most valuable players at the deadline and there's a very good chance IMO tha someone will be willing to offer something stupid for him.

Worth stressing again...the White Sox also are not forced to move Rios. He will not break the bank next year and he could be a useful cog if the White Sox field a competitive team next year. There's no minor leaguer pushing him right now, the only reason why the Sox should trade him is if they get an offer that meets their price.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
Eminor, a couple of people have alluded to it, not just me. I happen to think he's a 'loser' like the one poster's comments on Dunn. I personally think he dogs it. He was our best player last year. This year he's got decent numbers that are dropping. He had that one abysmal year after immediately sucking after the Sox acquired him. I don't know if I'm allowed to bash players, so let's just say I don't like his style.

If Rios is a great player and I'm being unfair, then I guess I am a bad fan.

Not a bad fan just bad at talent evaluation. Style more than substance usually isn't effect in judging a players worth, IMHO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)

The long-term value of a WS Championship can't be underestimated. Also, you cannot underestimate the drive of some owners/ownership groups to win, nor can you underestimate TWTW of a GM. GM's aren't hired to accumulate win shares on paper, they are there to win games, and winning it all is the absolute goal.

It's difficult to understand why people always seem to be forgetting this, but for the most part (with really the only exception being players held back for arb/FA reasons), players who are in the minor leagues are there because they aren't good enough to hit MLB pitching or get MLB hitters out. If you think you have a shot at a championship, is that player's future really worth gambling on? Obviously you don't give up more than you feel you have to, but let's not get carried away here. s***, Will Middlebrooks was the greatest thing ever this time last year, now he's what? And that guy was already producing at the MLB level. Even if another team "overpays" and gives up their best prospect it doesn't mean we get anything out of it in the end.

It's not that we should want to acquire a bunch of prospects, it's that we have to. We're f***ing losers. We suck. That is why we are doing this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
Rios was pretty bad in June. As we all know, it could linger with him. I would be really surprised, especially if he doesn't pick it up soon, if you could get one of a team's top 5 prospects for him.

Then it makes very little sense to trade him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
Then it makes very little sense to trade him.

I kind of disagree given his past. Don't dump him obviously, but if you have in your mind what a full 100% of Rios' value looks like as a return in prospects, if it is July 28/29 or so and the best deal out there is 80% of that, I say make the deal. I think I kind of agree with greg, but not necessarily worded the same way. He has tons of talent, always has, but his switch can turn off & stay off for months, and we have to consider that. Of course, other teams will be thinking of his past as well, but they will factor that into their offers, and if the offers out there happen to be complete bulls*** then I wouldn't expect Hahn to do anything.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
Worth stressing again...the White Sox also are not forced to move Rios. He will not break the bank next year and he could be a useful cog if the White Sox field a competitive team next year. There's no minor leaguer pushing him right now, the only reason why the Sox should trade him is if they get an offer that meets their price.

Exactly. People seem to forget that most players moved at the deadline are about to enter free agency, which forces sellers to make certain trades no matter the market for their players. The Sox have all the leverage with Rios. If a team doesn't meet our asking price, we can hold on to him and either look to trade him in the offseason or simply enjoy the surplus value he'll likely provide in 2014. Contenders that are desperate for an OF right now don't have the luxury of time. If they're serious about being a World Series contender and Rios potentially puts them over the top, then these teams will have to seriously consider paying a premium for him. Most organizations are going to value winning a World Series above all else and will take a gamble if they feel they're close.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
Rios was pretty bad in June. As we all know, it could linger with him. I would be really surprised, especially if he doesn't pick it up soon, if you could get one of a team's top 5 prospects for him.

I'm shocked if you honestly believe this. Baseball is a game of ups and downs and GMs aren't going to overreact to one bad month like Soxtalk does. Teams are actually scouting him and will know if his June struggles are cause for concern (which I don't think they are). More likely, teams will see a guy who can be a difference maker in their lineup. There won't be a lot of alternatives that will offer the upside Rios does, and most of those players will only be rentals.

Also, Hunter Pence landed the Giants' #2 prospect last year, which is a pretty similar comp minus a year of team control.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 06:41 PM)
Exactly. People seem to forget that most players moved at the deadline are about to enter free agency, which forces sellers to make certain trades no matter the market for their players. The Sox have all the leverage with Rios. If a team doesn't meet our asking price, we can hold on to him and either look to trade him in the offseason or simply enjoy the surplus value he'll likely provide in 2014. Contenders that are desperate for an OF right now don't have the luxury of time. If they're serious about being a World Series contender and Rios potentially puts them over the top, then these teams will have to seriously consider paying a premium for him. Most organizations are going to value winning a World Series above all else and will take a gamble if they feel they're close.

I agree with this for the most part, but the Sox can't count on him being worth more in the offseason. Look at what they did with Floyd. They held onto him for far too long, and should have dealt him when they had the chance. A lot of people on here wanted him traded for something before the season, and I know I would have been happy with whatever they got at that time than a guy on the D.L. I know that is said with hindsight and all, but I just hope the Sox don't screw up getting something of value for him. All they need is for him to disappear the 2nd half and there goes whatever trade value he had/has so far. If they are going to rebuild, then rebuild. Don't hang onto guys as their trade value diminishes. I doubt Rios will bring a high prospect like some predict/wish, but I can't see any team giving up more for 1 year of him over 1.5 of him in the offseason. Sox will not get a Beltran-like trade for Rios next year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
I'm shocked if you honestly believe this. Baseball is a game of ups and downs and GMs aren't going to overreact to one bad month like Soxtalk does. Teams are actually scouting him and will know if his June struggles are cause for concern (which I don't think they are).

+1000 to this

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
+1000 to this

Rios has had a reputation among scouts for being "indifferent". A month of "indifferent" play isn't going to help Rick Hahn. I was act the game Saturday when he jogged down the first base line, as were the scouts from the teams mentiomed in this thread.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
Walks are a by-product of a good plate approach in which the hitter swings at good pitches and takes bad pitches. No one LOOKS to walk. But they have to accept a walk, because if they don't then pitchers never have to give them good pitches to hit. For the LIFE of me, I don't understand why people cannot grasp this.

I approve of this post! We complain about our "freeswingers" striking out so much, or hitting week grounders; well thats because pitchers know they don't have to give them much to hit, most of our guys will swing at about anything. Heck, pitchers like Mark Buehrle feast on these types of hitters.

I'm not a big fan of Adam Dunn, but at least, for the most part, he forces the pitcher to throw him strikes, he just can't hit most of them.