Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:31 PM)
I like Santiago quite a bit. However, if they got a cost controlled offensive player/offensive players that would be starters for years to come, you'd have to consider it.

The problem with trading Santiago right now is that he hasn't come close to hitting his ceiling. The Sox have bounced him around and not given him the chance to really develop himself as a major league starter.

He's got the stuff to be a top of the rotation starter. Maybe not Sale, but a serious contributor in a dominant rotation. He may never get there, but that's where he could be going if his control slightly improves.

If you're not getting the return for a top of the rotation guy, then it doesn't make sense to me to deal him, because a year from now he could be throwing 200 innings with a sub-3 ERA and demanding that kind of return.

(This exact quote appears to apply to Quintana also).

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Santiago is going to be a part of the next competitive sox team, and as it stands right now his career is a mix between Liriano and Santana, you do not give up that kind of potential. Pitching wins championships and the sox have it in spades, we just need a competent line up.

edit: grammer

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
There is some chance you could get similar production for similar money in FA. This means you could get Rios-like production AND prospects for $13 million instead of just Rios.

This comment got brushed under the rug....This is exactly why you trade Rios.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
I like Santiago quite a bit. However, if they got a cost controlled offensive player/offensive players that would be starters for years to come, you'd have to consider it.

Trading one of Quintana or Santiago for a cost controlled, high upside offensive player really is a good idea. Keeping them is a good idea too. Trading them because you're "rebuilding" is a Marlins-esque bad idea.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:59 PM)
Trading one of Quintana or Santiago for a cost controlled, high upside offensive player really is a good idea. Keeping them is a good idea too. Trading them because you're "rebuilding" is a Marlins-esque bad idea.

My problem with this is the word "a". Given that these guys have really started to establish themselves as above average starters who will keep getting better, yes I'd consider it if there was a top flight guy coming back, but with their contract status I hope that they've set themselves up as guys who should bring back multiple pieces in addition to the headline guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
My problem with this is the word "a". Given that these guys have really started to establish themselves as above average starters who will keep getting better, yes I'd consider it if there was a top flight guy coming back, but with their contract status I hope that they've set themselves up as guys who should bring back multiple pieces in addition to the headline guy.

**As a quick aside, these trades wouldn't happen, but merely hypotheticals for example's sake**

I would trade Quintana or Santiago for Kyle Seager. I would not trade Quintana or Santiago for Mike Moustakas. It fills a gaping hole (that's what she said) and is absolutely someone that can be a centerpiece of the team for years and has already shown good success at the MLB level. There are others that are harder to judge - Andrelton Simmons is one of those. Valuable young SS, but has struggled with the bat and never had eye popping numbers in the minors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)

If we're going with THAT approach, it really makes much more sense to deal Chris Sale for a Stanton like bounty (making sure we hit on the prospects) before he gets injured and hold onto both Santiago and Quintana.

Really, trading either one of those guys ahead of Peavy and Danks just isn't logical in any way that you look at it.

Not to mention that you can use the payroll savings from Peavy and Danks to improve the offense, but you're certainly not getting as much value to the Sox in prospects (for Quintana and Santiago, if they were dealt before maximizing their potential) that probably will never be as good as Santiago/Quintana in the first place and then you're turning around and waiting 2-3 more years for them to develop.

Then you're just in perpetual rebuilding mode.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
**As a quick aside, these trades wouldn't happen, but merely hypotheticals for example's sake**

I would trade Quintana or Santiago for Kyle Seager. I would not trade Quintana or Santiago for Mike Moustakas. It fills a gaping hole (that's what she said) and is absolutely someone that can be a centerpiece of the team for years and has already shown good success at the MLB level. There are others that are harder to judge - Andrelton Simmons is one of those. Valuable young SS, but has struggled with the bat and never had eye popping numbers in the minors.

Hechavaria on the Marlins (from Jays) would be another example at the SS position.

I'll do the opposite and take the potential (higher ceiling) on Moustakas, simply knowing that we've got to find guys with the potential to hit 25-35 homers at the corners, and can't be satisfied with average or slightly above average if we legitimately want to compete with DET.

(Not to mention Buxton/Sano arriving in MN, Kyle Gibson....and the Indians and Royals being ahead of us in many respects...Hahn has his work cut out for him. It almost seems like it will be a miracle now to compete again before 2015 or 2016.)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
Hechavaria on the Marlins (from Jays) would be another example at the SS position.

I'll do the opposite and take the potential (higher ceiling) on Moustakas, simply knowing that we've got to find guys with the potential to hit 25-35 homers at the corners, and can't be satisfied with average or slightly above average if we legitimately want to compete with DET.

(Not to mention Buxton/Sano arriving in MN, Kyle Gibson....and the Indians and Royals being ahead of us in many respects...Hahn has his work cut out for him. It almost seems like it will be a miracle now to compete again before 2015 or 2016.)

I have no problem with the White Sox taking a chance on a Mike Moustakas (and again, I'm using real names but assuming they're generic terms). I'm not trading Santiago or Quintana for that.

And the Twins do scare me the most with Sano and Buxton (this time it is actual names), but I think, if anything, we've seen that the pitching talent at the MLB level is just supremely talented. There was a time when you saw technically sound, mediocre talent come up and hit right away, but you just don't see that. Really, if you have a guy putting up an .825 OPS in the minors, you have to expect him to put up a .675 OPS or worse in the majors. It's just absurd.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
I have no problem with the White Sox taking a chance on a Mike Moustakas (and again, I'm using real names but assuming they're generic terms). I'm not trading Santiago or Quintana for that.

And the Twins do scare me the most with Sano and Buxton (this time it is actual names), but I think, if anything, we've seen that the pitching talent at the MLB level is just supremely talented. There was a time when you saw technically sound, mediocre talent come up and hit right away, but you just don't see that. Really, if you have a guy putting up an .825 OPS in the minors, you have to expect him to put up a .675 OPS or worse in the majors. It's just absurd.

Aaron Hicks would be a good example of that.

Seems it's a LOT easier for young hitters to break into the NL, for any of a number of reasons (S.Marte/M.Ozuna/Puig/Gattis).

Conor Gillaspie leads AL rookies in a number of categories...like being the tallest midget.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
Who wouldn't though?

I don't know, he's hitting worse than Dayan this year and also has less track record. He does have defense going for him, though, which explains 100% of his value last season

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 07:29 PM)
I don't know, he's hitting worse than Dayan this year and also has less track record. He does have defense going for him, though, which explains 100% of his value last season

The thing about Dayan though, is that he hit 25 homers and still managed a below average offensive season (97 wRC+). When you consider how bad he is defensively as well, he's a much worse player, even when they're both playing badly.

Also, does he have less of a track record? He threw down a 3.2 WAR season last year and hit 20 bombs of their own. Dayan managed 0.3 WAR. Comparing their stat lines, they're actually very similar hitters, it's just Moustakas is left handed and an excellent defensive third baseman.

Well, it's time to apologize to Rios. Six hits in a 9-inning game? Ties AL record? Sets all kind of marks tonight. Holy s***, what a game for Rios. I apologize to him for ripping him a lot again this season.

Well, it should be much easier to trade him anywhere now. Seriously. A game like that shows scouts he could be valuable IMO. To get six hits in a game and explode like that has to make contending teams take notice that Rios might win you a lot of games down the stretch if he's focused like that.

Tonight proved several things. 1.) Rios is an enigma with a lot of talent and 2.) Viciedo may be one of those guys who needs to be pushed (benched when he f***s up) to bring out his ability. Two homers?? Where'd that come from? And 3.) The Sox are capable of playing much better than they have this season from hell.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 10:37 PM)
Well, it's time to apologize to Rios. Six hits in a 9-inning game? Ties AL record? Sets all kind of marks tonight. Holy s***, what a game for Rios. I apologize to him for ripping him a lot again this season.

Well, it should be much easier to trade him anywhere now. Seriously. A game like that shows scouts he could be valuable IMO. To get six hits in a game and explode like that has to make contending teams take notice that Rios might win you a lot of games down the stretch if he's focused like that.

Tonight proved several things. 1.) Rios is an enigma with a lot of talent and 2.) Viciedo may be one of those guys who needs to be pushed (benched when he f***s up) to bring out his ability. Two homers?? Where'd that come from? And 3.) The Sox are capable of playing much better than they have this season from hell.

Not really. Tonight doesn't prove a thing. Even the worst teams will have 5-10 games out of 162 in which they look awesome. This team is awful and I look forward to seeing what Hahn does with our veteran assets and what guys like Phegley and Beckham do for the rest of the year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 03:46 AM)
Not really. Tonight doesn't prove a thing. Even the worst teams will have 5-10 games out of 162 in which they look awesome. This team is awful and I look forward to seeing what Hahn does with our veteran assets and what guys like Phegley and Beckham do for the rest of the year.

This team is awful, but the question is "why is it awful?" You can argue that, on paper, it is a team that should be sniffing .500.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 10:53 PM)
This team is awful, but the question is "why is it awful?" You can argue that, on paper, it is a team that should be sniffing .500.

s***ty talent relative to the rest of the AL? If they were in the east? Jesus. Sniffing .500? If that's their ceiling then this season was over before it started.