2013 in-game experience?

ewokpelts

Sounds like people on WSI have issues with the game day experience at the park.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbullet...ad.php?t=138491

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbullet...ad.php?t=137535

I've only been to 2 games this year(new kid), so I was wondering how much on the mark are the WSI posters? Have any of you guys had a s***ty experience at the park this year?

I couldn't even read all the way thru that first one. Did anyone point out to them that many of the vendors work OTHER jobs, and probably couldn't be there early on such short notice? Probably not, they seemed to relish wallowing in their mutual loathing.

I am on vacation right now and am heading to the games Wednesday and Thursday. I am totally pumped as I haven't been to the Cell since 2007 (just my luck the Sox are s***ty again the year I actually get to go again). We are staying at the Central Loop hotel and planning on taking the train to the games. We've got upper deck tickets for Wednesday- I am under the impression we cant check out the rest of the stadium with these tickets? Its no biggie as we've got lower reserved the next day but I just wanted to confirm that. Any advice/suggestions on places to go before the games? Definitely want to hit up some place with Sox merchandise outside the stadium. Maybe grab a beer somewhere if its not ridiculously priced. Would love to try the Big Hurt Beer (is it served anywhere in the Cell?) Any advice for things we need to check out inside? I know of the outfield statues and stuff but I want to be sure to get the full experience. Couldn't seem to dig up an old thread- I know people have given tips before. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I cant wait!!

I have been to 10-15 games. It isn't a perfect experience everytime, but nothing like they make it out to be. If it is so awful, stay home.

I would say if I had to b**** about what is wrong with gameday experiences at USCF 95% would be directed at other fans who think people don't mind they stand in the aisle during the games talking to someone or taking pictures. As far as concession stands, they do close them early, but from what I have read, that isn't the Sox call.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
I am on vacation right now and am heading to the games Wednesday and Thursday. I am totally pumped as I haven't been to the Cell since 2007 (just my luck the Sox are s***ty again the year I actually get to go again). I cant wait!!

It's refreshing to see your enthusiasm for seeing the Sox. I live out of state now too and would LOVE to get back to the Cell, even to see this current team. As it is now, I'm stoked to see the Great Falls Voyagers next week.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
I am on vacation right now and am heading to the games Wednesday and Thursday. I am totally pumped as I haven't been to the Cell since 2007 (just my luck the Sox are s***ty again the year I actually get to go again). We are staying at the Central Loop hotel and planning on taking the train to the games. We've got upper deck tickets for Wednesday- I am under the impression we cant check out the rest of the stadium with these tickets? Its no biggie as we've got lower reserved the next day but I just wanted to confirm that. Any advice/suggestions on places to go before the games? Definitely want to hit up some place with Sox merchandise outside the stadium. Maybe grab a beer somewhere if its not ridiculously priced. Would love to try the Big Hurt Beer (is it served anywhere in the Cell?) Any advice for things we need to check out inside? I know of the outfield statues and stuff but I want to be sure to get the full experience. Couldn't seem to dig up an old thread- I know people have given tips before. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I cant wait!!

Unless you have someone's season tickets, you can't get down to the lower deck with upper deck tickets.

You can check out Chicago Sports Depot, it's connected to the park. You can stop there before, or even after going in the park. They'll scan your ticket in and out. Ton of merch in there, expensive stuff, but good selection.

Bacardi at the Park is a place you can check out for a beer before, if you want, but it won't be cheap. Same gate as Chicago Sports Depot.

Big Hurt Beer is sold in the park. In the upper deck, it's right behind the plate at a beer stand with a pretty large selection of bottles.

So let me get this straight: somebody has a bad experience during the make-up day game of a double header and that shows how the White Sox experience blows?

*facepalm*

I've only been to one so far but that's picking up now that Hawks are over and it was just like I've always loved it. The only difference noticeable to me of late has been the small number of vendors still around halfway through in the UD concourse because the crowds have been so small (speaking mainly of last year).

Having gone to well over a hundred games in the past decade and sat just about everywhere in the park I'm paying no attention to this person.

Remember with the tiny crowds it's no fun for the vendors either--they work on commission, a lot of them.

The problem was the liquid definition of "badmouth," but I don't want to derail the thread.

On-topic: I'm actually looking forward to getting back to the Cell now that hockey's over. I miss the sunshine in the stands and that smell when you first walk in (still my favorite smell).

I was there from 3:30 PM to 1:30 AM and I had a great time. Thinking back, I never saw the vendors in the beginning of the DH but I didn't care about that at all - I don't like buying from my seat, I'd rather go check out the selection on the concourse. I enjoyed blowing my money on some Oberon and Bar Fly IPA at the Midwest Brews stand at 141. For a set of games that couldn't be more disappointing in terms of the on-field results, it was a fabulous gameday experience. Those guys at WSI sound like entitled pricks.

IMO, the main drawback of the Cell is that you don't get LD access when you buy UD tickets. I know it really disappoints a lot of people that come for the first time with UD tix. You're basically a second class citizen. If you come more often, you probably won't care if you can't get down there because you've seen it all before. Other than that, the food is great as is the atmosphere. I'm sure it would be even better (even though in some ways less fun) if more people showed up.

I've been twice this year, first time was Sale's almost perfect game vs the Angels and sitting like 3 rows behind the 1st base dugout. Awesome seats/view/experience.

2nd time I had my annual group outing (33 total people) doing the Patio Party before the game and sitting in the UD during the game. We were all trashed (bunch of 21-25 yr olds with unlimited beer) and Im sure a nuisance to people sitting around our area, but we weren't rude to others and there was plenty of room around our group so we weren't bothering people right next to us.

The last thing I would do is eat or drink beer at a ballpark. There's no economic sense in it. Hit a buffet before the game.

Drinking yes I get that but cmon some of the foods at the ballpark you look forward to: like the Polish or the corn off the cob or whatever. I don't know why people buy food from the counters because that all seems generic but hey, their choice.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
Drinking yes I get that but cmon some of the foods at the ballpark you look forward to: like the Polish or the corn off the cob or whatever. I don't know why people buy food from the counters because that all seems generic but hey, their choice.

I always get a brat at the game. It is just apart of a Sox game for me.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:21 AM)
Unless you have someone's season tickets, you can't get down to the lower deck with upper deck tickets.

You can check out Chicago Sports Depot, it's connected to the park. You can stop there before, or even after going in the park. They'll scan your ticket in and out. Ton of merch in there, expensive stuff, but good selection.

Bacardi at the Park is a place you can check out for a beer before, if you want, but it won't be cheap. Same gate as Chicago Sports Depot.

Big Hurt Beer is sold in the park. In the upper deck, it's right behind the plate at a beer stand with a pretty large selection of bottles.

Thanks for the help! Very excited for the games. 1000th post! w00t w00t.

Definitely gonna try some Big Hurt Beer. Stopped at a beer/liquor store in Wheeling tonight (staying at my Grandpa's) and they told me I was on the wrong side of town to find it. Oh well their loss.