Game Thread 7/8: CUB @ SOX

With the game being in July and the teams a combined 27 games under .500, the game thread really ought to be in Trade Winds.

Garza and Santiago pitching, unless of course they are traded before game time.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jobs should be on the line tonight. If you go 0-4 against the Cubs and swept at home, I'm sorry, but in this day and age Robin and his whole staff except Baines should be fired. If I was Reinsdorf and the owners I would take it as a personal slap in the face. I know sports are different, but these guys are getting paid good money and to lose 4 to the Cubs w/out one win is the Sox players laughing at the bosses and stealing money. I know a lot of you don't care about the Cub series but some innocent fans, the little kids who fight over Sox/Cubs at school, do care. Some people do care and the Sox owe it to everybody to win one fricking game against one of the worst teams in baseball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
Jobs should be on the line tonight. If you go 0-4 against the Cubs and swept at home, I'm sorry, but in this day and age Robin and his whole staff except Baines should be fired. If I was Reinsdorf and the owners I would take it as a personal slap in the face. I know sports are different, but these guys are getting paid good money and to lose 4 to the Cubs w/out one win is the Sox players laughing at the bosses and stealing money. I know a lot of you don't care about the Cub series but some innocent fans, the little kids who fight over Sox/Cubs at school, do care. Some people do care and the Sox owe it to everybody to win one fricking game against one of the worst teams in baseball.

News flash: literally no one cares about this series anymore.

When you have decided to trade your players are bad enough that you need to trade them away and let the others walk via free agency, that means you no longer hold your manager accountable for the losing. That means it is the fault of the players.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
When you have decided to trade your players are bad enough that you need to trade them away and let the others walk via free agency, that means you no longer hold your manager accountable for the losing. That means it is the fault of the players.

I'm not so sure Ventura will be back next year either....

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
The Cubs already won the crosstown cup... this game is for both teams to showcase their players. Let the Fire sale begin. Time to move in a new direction...

117971990.jpg

#REMEMBER

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
Viciedo definitely in the dog house. However, with this season in the tank, you need to see what he can do. I have no problem sending a message to him, so hopefully he gets out of the dog house soon.

He's a really bad baseball player.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
He's a really bad baseball player.

There's a whole lot of talent in there, but you're right with this.

And he's getting worse every day it seems, so worth trying the doghouse format.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
There's a whole lot of talent in there, but you're right with this.

And he's getting worse every day it seems, so worth trying the doghouse format.

He'd be a great for a "bust for bust" change of scenery type trade

Edited by fathom

Dog house might not be the word. You don't get punished for playing badly, you get punished for giving poor effort. I think his effort is fine. I think it's safe to assume the benching against righties is to give Manto and the staff a chance to work with him on things without his having to go in games and use it right away.

FWIW, Manto has said that one of the biggest hurdles to working with Dayan has been his inability to take lessons right into gameplay. Basically, he has to internalize a mechanical change before he is comfortable trying to apply it in games. Some guys can/will try anything in a game scenario whereas others (Dayan included) don't like being a work in progress as they are trying to hit MLB pitching. Looks like he'll have his wish with some days off to work on things.

It appears to me that he is being platooned, also. Not a good permanent option, but it may definitely benefit his psyche to get favorable matchups for a while as he slumps. It seems to have helped Conor Gillaspie quite a bit with his mini-slump of a couple weeks ago.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Viciedo can't play defense, he can't run the bases, he can't throw with accuracy, and he sure as hell can't hit - there's not much there to talk about at the moment. The guy's completely lost.

Dayan's ARM UZR stat is rated 15th out of all outfielders, tied with Yoenis Cespedes. No need to make up weaknesses when there are so many obvious ones

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:33 PM)
True, but he makes a bit more than what a normal bust makes.

I could see a Viciedo for Smoak or B. Wallace type deal (just based on the Sox liking Wallace in the past). Viciedo is better than both of those guys, so maybe they'd get more in return as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
He'd be a great for a "bust for bust" change of scenery type trade

Not many busts hit 25 homers and drove in 80 last year. SOX are way, way, way better off keeping Tank around for another year before giving up on him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
I could see a Viciedo for Smoak or B. Wallace type deal (just based on the Sox liking Wallace in the past). Viciedo is better than both of those guys, so maybe they'd get more in return as well.

(I keep pointing out that Smoak is a 1st year arb guy next year. There's a moderate chance he's non-tendered, although he's having a slightly better year this year than in previous ones.)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)

Really? I'll paint you a scenario here. Santiago and Garza both pitch 8 shutout innings. 3 hits scattered for each team. Jones/Thornton/Whoever enters game in the 9th inning. Cubs hit a HR. So unless the Sox score 2 in the 9th all of the coaches except Harold Baines should be fired? You are a special man.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
Not many busts hit 25 homers and drove in 80 last year. SOX are way, way, way better off keeping Tank around for another year before giving up on him.

Despite those two cherry-picked numbers, his total offensive output amounted to 97 wRC+ last year -- making him a slightly below average hitter.

I don't think he's a bust yet, but he sure sucks right now.