Hawk Harrelson Documentary

flavum

When Hawk does retire, I hope for a real play by play guy to be hired with Stone. Some one who actually does their job and not just ramble on and try and make jokes with the color guy. Basically the exact opposite of Joe Buck, who I have no idea how is still the top announcer for football and baseball on FOX. Just because his dad was a good announcer doesn't mean people enjoy the garbage that comes out of the booth when Buck and McCarver are announcing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed it. No matter your thoughts of him in the booth, the guy certainly has some stories to tell. This film was a perfect forum for that. There is no denying he has rubbed shoulders with some of GIANTS in all of sports, not just baseball. Mantle, Williams, Orr, Marciano, Lombardi, Palmer. Pretty cool stuff IMO.

It was well done. Wish it went 90 minutes to include more stories. Of course, he probably wouldn't tell stories that would put the Sox in a bad light, but I'm sure he's got some good ones.

I'd rather he not die in the booth though. He's almost 72. If he's still here when he's 75, it's going to get real sad...not just annoying like it is now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)
I'd rather he not die in the booth though. He's almost 72. If he's still here when he's 75, it's going to get real sad...not just annoying like it is now.

That last scene was just awesome. I don't know how many times my buddies and I have joked about him having a heart attack in the booth. Just classic!

Edited by SmashROT

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
Every time I get bored with Hawk, all I need to do is listen to most of the rest of professional team announcers out there. God they are just awful.

Can't argue that... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...292/1/index.htm

As for arm wrestling, Harrelson "guesses" he is the best in baseball, but he insists that he has given up that sport. "Arm rasslin' is bad for your arm," he says, "and I've got to do too many things with my right arm."

Uh, ok then....

I don't get the hawk hate. I actually really enjoy him. I think he does a very good job with our games. I guess it helps that i am not from chicago or live around there? either way the documentary was very entertaining and i like listening to hawk and his stories. i also think he is very entertaining as an announcer.

some of you just seem to damn crabby about every and anything possible.

Edited by mataipaepae

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
I don't get the hawk hate. I actually really enjoy him. I think he does a very good job with our games. I guess it helps that i am not from chicago or live around there? either way the documentary was very intertaining and i like listening to hawk and his stories.

I agree with everything said here.

I never really understood the desire to have a "real play by play guy"...Baseball is such a simple game, I don't think there's a need for a play by play guy to tell us what we're seeing. On the radio yes, of course, but on TV I don't think it's needed.

I'd rather have Hawk story time over someone just telling me what I'm seeing.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
I agree with everything said here.

I never really understood the desire to have a "real play by play guy"...Baseball is such a simple game, I don't think there's a need for a play by play guy to tell us what we're seeing. On the radio yes, of course, but on TV I don't think it's needed.

I'd rather have Hawk story time over someone just telling me what I'm seeing.

Jesus, baseball is anything but a simple game. There are times I get confused as to what's going on. Having someone who knows what's going on and can explain it to me is greatly appreciated.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
Jesus, baseball is anything but a simple game. There are times I get confused as to what's going on. Having someone who knows what's going on and can explain it to me is greatly appreciated.

it really isn't that complicated.

baseball 101 might be a good read for you then.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)
I don't get the hawk hate. I actually really enjoy him. I think he does a very good job with our games. I guess it helps that i am not from chicago or live around there? either way the documentary was very entertaining and i like listening to hawk and his stories. i also think he is very entertaining as an announcer.

I love Hawk immensely. Can't find the documentary on youtube. Is it available? I wanna watch it tonite.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
According to BBREF, Hawk never hit two homers in a game off Whitey Ford like he claimed in the intro. Not the first time his baseball stories have been disproven.

No, but in 1964 he did have a two homer game against the Yankees that Whitey Ford started. The first one was off Ford. Cut the guy some slack, it was 49 years ago. Who cares if he doesn't remember the details 100% accurately.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 06:44 AM)
No, but in 1964 he did have a two homer game against the Yankees that Whitey Ford started. The first one was off Ford. Cut the guy some slack, it was 49 years ago. Who cares if he doesn't remember the details 100% accurately.

It just makes it hard to believe his other stories when you know he embellishes some of his baseball stories, because that's not the first time he has been busted on it.

Either way, I did enjoy the documentary, what a cooky bastard.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
It just makes it hard to believe his other stories when you know he embellishes some of his baseball stories, because that's not the first time he has been busted on it.

Either way, I did enjoy the documentary, what a cooky bastard.

You never lied to make yourself look better?

:D :D :D

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 03:43 AM)
Can't argue that... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You should hear Steve Physioc of the Royals? My god he is the worst. He uses a Wink Martendale voice and likes to preface sentences by saying, "Fans." He speaks right to the fans. Puke. I will give Denny Matthews credit. He is not a homer and last night he freaked out when the KC official scorer gave Alex Gordon a hit on a blatant error.

Hawk, however, is a gem. I hope he announces until he can't see any more. He seems to have improved on fly ball depth since some early-season mis-reads. I love Hawk Harrelson. I'm a little surprised he didn't blast Rios hard after the loafing. At least Stoney mentioned it right as it happened. I'd think Hawk would have been furious at Rios disrespecting the game like that.

LONG LIVE HAWK HARRELSON!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)

That's the color man's job.