Rosenthal: Sox should market Sale

Jake

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
So when I posed this suggestion to the board two weeks ago, specifically if you are willing to trade Sale for the right offer, 70% of the board voted no.

I like how people are more open to the idea right now, just proves I am not crazy with my idea.

Thats not what I got out of reading this thread

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, at what point are you weighing offers and at what point do you just basically say "you have to give me this, this, this, and this or no deal" ?

Everyone has a price, but there's no way I'm openly shopping Chris Sale. As I said in here, if you trade Chris Sale, you are essentially committing towards a rebuild towards 2016 or 2017. You are throwing in the towel for the remaining 3-4 years, because Jose Quintana and Hector Santiago aren't leading you to the playoffs and there isn't enough offensively to get you there either, so by the time you are ready, those guys are either free agents or in their final year of arbitration eligibility. It becomes a very long process.

Now, if you keep Sale, you keep Quintana and Santiago, bring in Erik Johnson, have one more starter (Danks, Peavy, Snodgress, Beck, Anna Kournikova, whoever), and you can patch an offense together and win a lot of games.

At this juncture, you have to consider Chris Sale to be one of the most 3 most valuable players in the majors due to talent and contract. Given that, you need an offer similar to this to make the move (this was Red Sox offer for King Felix in 2009)

RHP Clay Buchholz

RHP Daniel Bard

RHP Justin Masterson

LHP Nick Hagadone

RHP Michael Bowden

LHP Felix Doubront

OF Josh Reddick

SS Yamaico Navarro

(found here: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...;#entry1974049)

All good to very good prospects. Maybe 2 have really stuck and performed well. It's a risky game.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
Why would it signal a long term rebuild?? If they get back 2 sure fire MLB ready studs (and then some) they still have Peavy-Danks-Q-Santiago-Johnson/Axe lined up for next year along with 2+ more pieces to the offense.

Because even sure fire MLB ready studs struggle and the odds of both being stars in the rookie year is remote. If you start more than 2 rookie hitters in your lineup you will most likely struggle.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 10:41 PM)
Because if you trade Sale, you are going to end up trading everything on the roster. And, I mean, it's cool to get back prospects, and some of them turn out, but, well, these things have a tendency to fail and fall apart.

Whereas you keep Sale and you already have an ace, plus 2-3 other legitimate starters and a few others on the way, and then you can patchwork an offense back together and make the playoffs. The Giants have won 2 of the last 3 World Series with that exact same philosophy.

This isn't the sexy take on the White Sox rebuild, but the second paragraph here truthfully is probably the best way to go.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
I mean, at what point are you weighing offers and at what point do you just basically say "you have to give me this, this, this, and this or no deal" ?

Everyone has a price, but there's no way I'm openly shopping Chris Sale. As I said in here, if you trade Chris Sale, you are essentially committing towards a rebuild towards 2016 or 2017. You are throwing in the towel for the remaining 3-4 years, because Jose Quintana and Hector Santiago aren't leading you to the playoffs and there isn't enough offensively to get you there either, so by the time you are ready, those guys are either free agents or in their final year of arbitration eligibility. It becomes a very long process.

Now, if you keep Sale, you keep Quintana and Santiago, bring in Erik Johnson, have one more starter (Danks, Peavy, Snodgress, Beck, Anna Kournikova, whoever), and you can patch an offense together and win a lot of games.

At this juncture, you have to consider Chris Sale to be one of the most 3 most valuable players in the majors due to talent and contract. Given that, you need an offer similar to this to make the move (this was Red Sox offer for King Felix in 2009)

RHP Clay Buchholz

RHP Daniel Bard

RHP Justin Masterson

LHP Nick Hagadone

RHP Michael Bowden

LHP Felix Doubront

OF Josh Reddick

SS Yamaico Navarro

(found here: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...;#entry1974049)

All good to very good prospects. Maybe 2 have really stuck and performed well. It's a risky game.

Good mention, but I would go for Sharapova...

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1m

... the nucleus under control for a while going forward that is going to help us compete." Hahn did not talk about trade rumors and such

"We do feel that you have to start with the pitching. You are going to compete in this league with the pitching and we do feel we have ...

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Interesting quote from Rick Hahn in a brief meeting with the beat writers a few minutes ago. And it goes:

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin

Sounds like Rick Hahn is ready to sell off the entire team....(sarcasm)

I'm sure a package for Sale would also include a successful major leaguer or 2. It all depends on how long the team thinks it will be before it is competitive again. If its next year, you should keep him. 2015, most likely keep him, but if its any longer, Sale is no guarantee to be the pitcher he has been 3, 4 or 5 years from now. 5 years ago John Danks was looking like a 23 year old future ace, and now people question why he was given an extension last year. Sale has missed games last year and this with soreness. I doubt that will improve.

It never hurts to see what a team might be willing to give you. There is no obligation and you might be wowed by the package.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 05:22 PM)
Sure Ken. I would love Mike Trout on my team. Seriously, short of a young cost controlled player on the verge of winning a MVP or Cy Young coming back, you have to be retarded to trade him.

Haha totally. Prospects? Are you ducking kidding me here lol. I'd need at least 8 jurickson profar level prospects before I even listen.

Plus what a nice message that sends to our young guys: Sign a team friendly contract and we'll send you packing to a destination of your not-choosing for the next 7 years.

GMAFB even discussing this like it's smart or even plausible.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 3s

"The bulk of our struggles this year have been on the offensive side. That’s something we are going to have to improve.''

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 56s

'You are going to compete in this league with pitching...that is going to help us compete.'

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan

Throw complete rebuild out the window. That isnt happening folks.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Haha totally. Prospects? Are you ducking kidding me here lol. I'd need at least 8 jurickson profar level prospects before I even listen.

Plus what a nice message that sends to our young guys: Sign a team friendly contract and we'll send you packing to a destination of your not-choosing for the next 7 years.

GMAFB even discussing this like it's smart or even plausible.

THIS. Sale is going nowhere.

You think we have low attendance now? We trade our #1 for prospects? No thank you.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)

... the nucleus under control for a while going forward that is going to help us compete." Hahn did not talk about trade rumors and such

"We do feel that you have to start with the pitching. You are going to compete in this league with the pitching and we do feel we have ...

Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Interesting quote from Rick Hahn in a brief meeting with the beat writers a few minutes ago. And it goes:

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin

Sounds like Rick Hahn is ready to sell off the entire team....(sarcasm)

But Hahn is right, build around the pitching. Sale, Santiago, Quintana and Danks in his last 4 starts all have done excellent this year. They just haven't gotten any run support. They haven't even hit arbitration yet and are on and will be on team friendly contracts. The Sox trade a few pieces this year like Peavy, Rios, Alexei, Thornton, Crain, Lindstrom and get some valuable prospects back and the team can be relevant again in a couple years.

Then with that money, go after some free agent bats in the upcoming off seasons.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
But Hahn is right, build around the pitching. Sale, Santiago, Quintana and Danks in his last 4 starts all have done excellent this year. They just haven't gotten any run support. They haven't even hit arbitration yet and are on and will be on team friendly contracts. The Sox trade a few pieces this year like Peavy, Rios, Alexei, Thornton, Crain, Lindstrom and get some valuable prospects back and the team can be relevant again in a couple years.

Then with that money, go after some free agent bats in the upcoming off seasons.

100 percent agree....he did however mention Peavy going forward btw.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)

Honestly, even better. With those 5 healthy, with a competent offense, at the very least the team will be competing and that's what we as fans can ask for.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)

Which also could be for show. If he is set on dealing Peavy, letting the other teams know isn't going to help the bids. Might as well let them know you consider him a big part of the future, it will at least cut down on some bulls*** conversations.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 06:29 PM)
Which also could be for show. If he is set on dealing Peavy, letting the other teams know isn't going to help the bids. Might as well let them know you consider him a big part of the future, it will at least cut down on some bulls*** conversations.

Very well could be

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 06:30 PM)
Very well could be

Agree. Also, if we trade Peavy I think I'd want pitching in return, a couple young RH guys with top of the rotation stuff. We still need a cornerstone hitter but I think a top RH starter is just as important moving forward. Maybe EJ is the guy though; I wish we knew how confident the FO is in EJ going forward.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 06:16 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 3s

"The bulk of our struggles this year have been on the offensive side. That’s something we are going to have to improve.''

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 56s

'You are going to compete in this league with pitching...that is going to help us compete.'

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan

Throw complete rebuild out the window. That isnt happening folks.

Don't forget Rick Hahn flat out said that he wouldn't tell anyone if he was rebuilding. This is also a guy who studied under Kenny Williams who would flat out lie to the media about this sort of stuff.

I would trade Sale for Matt Adams, Kolten Wong, Michael Wacha, and Stephen Piscotty. We get three guys you can pretty much plug right in, they get an ace without really shaking up the big league club's plans. Our pitching will still be great and Wacha can walk right in and be a potential ace as well.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 03:19 AM)
I would trade Sale for Matt Adams, Kolten Wong, Michael Wacha, and Stephen Piscotty. We get three guys you can pretty much plug right in, they get an ace without really shaking up the big league club's plans. Our pitching will still be great and Wacha can walk right in and be a potential ace as well.

No way do you make a trade with the Cards without getting Taveras in return.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 10:25 PM)
No way do you make a trade with the Cards without getting Taveras in return.

Would never make sense for them. He's the one guy they NEED on their big league team next year. Everyone else is fair game and there is plenty of talent in the "everyone else" group swing a deal.