Hey, it's an afternoon game . . .

cabiness42

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
Yes. It's definitely a collective strategy. Everyboy is definitely on the exact same page, and it ain't Ventura's page. If the upper brass wants some changes then they will instruct RV and staff to make said changes. The idea that RV is a rebelling reckloose openly defying management's wishes regarding Sale's pitch count is crazy.

recluse...kind of like the JD Salinger of the AL, lol

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
Sale is fine going 110-115. 124 isn't much more than that. Maybe 2 or 3 batters and the all star break is coming up so he gets a longer rest. Its not a big deal. If you were driving 35 mph in a 25 zone you probably wouldn't expect a ticket. 45 or 55 and you know you are doomed.

I would like to know who came up with 120 as the pitch count which causes problems? And where is the study proving it? Guys on tight pitch counts seem to get injured just as much as those who are not. If they made it 125 no one would have a gripe.

Another interesting thing is Ventura is constantly ripped here and Joe Maddon is the gold standard. Has anyone ever checked out the pitch counts of David Price and when he had him, James Sheilds? Always hovering around 120.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1477

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
Hawk is now getting delusional. Hawk "If we could win this and have a good series it can change the thought process with the coaching staff and the 25 players"

Whats the thought process to finally solidify 4th place.

Ugh. Delusional is the RIGHT word there. Cmon Hawk you are better than that. Even had the Sox swept the series it would have meant nothing. We've been owned by so many teams and have one of the worst records in baseball. I agree we have .500 talent but we're not going to finish .500. I'd say we finish 15 to 20 below though I still could see us finishing 25 below.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)

You didn't read it did you? It says it wasn't covering injury likelihoods with extended oitch counts,and also this

Since its introduction, PAP has proven popular as a way to assess a team's tendency to overwork its starting rotation. However, there hasn't been the solid sabermetric analysis to support any particular pitch count metric (including PAP) to date. We will try to rectify that situation this year.

The article also admitted pitch counts affect each pitcher differently.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 09:30 PM)
You didn't read it did you? It says it wasn't covering injury likelihoods with extended oitch counts,and also this

Since its introduction, PAP has proven popular as a way to assess a team's tendency to overwork its starting rotation. However, there hasn't been the solid sabermetric analysis to support any particular pitch count metric (including PAP) to date. We will try to rectify that situation this year.

They need to start by studying the diminished velocity of Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)
Did hawk just nickname drop Big Kahuna for Phegley?

Yikes. I kind of like it, but I don't know what it means and I wouldn't think Phegs will like it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)

Of course it does.

But to pretend 110 is the same as 115 is the same as 125 is silly.

It's just idiotic to be throwing him that many pitches in a meaningless season when he had injury problems, well, last year.

Sale's velocity was noticeably down today from his two previous starts.

He was at 91-92-93 today, mostly 91 and 92, whereas the last couple of outings he was routinely throwing 95-96-97.

And, of course, his last start was 123 pitches and this one ended up in the mid 120's as well.

Edited by caulfield12