Fangraphs Future Closer: Daniel Webb

Y2Jimmy0

You could hear the excitement in the scout's voice on that video. Pretty neat. I'm sure he'll be a major leaguer soon - might he be considered a Marco Paddy player as he came out of Toronto? Not international, though

Very good article. Honestly, I do like Reed a lot as our closer. His ERA is a little inflated with giving up runs in non save situations and 2 of his blown saves are because of the defense letting him down.

With that being said, I can definitely see Webb coming up once Lindstrom, Thronton and Crain get traded, that if he continues his success in AAA. Going forward, we might be seeing Axelrod in the long relief role, Castro replacing Lindstrom, Webb replacing Crain and a young LHP to replace Thornton (I don't know if we have that in the system, Rodriguez?). But things could get interesting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
That Frasor trade, which already provided value in getting money off the books, is looking pretty darn good right now. Jaye is doing pretty well too.

Just looked at his stats too this season. Jaye, I could see having a ceiling of a back end type of the rotation guy. I am impressed how he is pitching though as of late.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
HA! I think I was at the same game as this guy!

You were. After we published your article and tweeted it, he replied that he was there. His name is Nathaniel Stoltz, I've used his videos in a couple articles and he provides some good info on Kanny and WS guys from games. He recently joined Fangraphs, also writes for Beyond the Box Score.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
You were. After we published your article and tweeted it, he replied that he was there. His name is Nathaniel Stoltz, I've used his videos in a couple articles and he provides some good info on Kanny and WS guys from games. He recently joined Fangraphs, also writes for Beyond the Box Score.

He's also on Twitter: @stoltz_baseball

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
Nice read, and this coincides with Balta's impression of him too. I feel a lot better about him in the top 10 now.

Yeah, we actually do our research and put a lot of thought into the rankings. Who knew? :lol:

It's hard not to like what Webb brings. He is the rare scenario of a minor league reliever holding strong value. Big velocity and closer upside.

The question right now is what is Reed worth on the trade market?

Obviously, the White Sox would probably prefer one year grooming Webb in a set-up role, just like they did with Sergio Santos.

Reed is one of the few that has been a closer almost his entire career in college and the pros.