Chris Sale is a Stud Thread

shago

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
Usually the guy who deserves the MVP, gets it.

In this case, he did not.

I'm not mad about it, but there's right and wrong...and this was wrong.

It's typical 2013 marketing, pre-packaged, FOX, MLB, east coast biased, crap.

Usually, unless there is a compelling reason to not do so. Ripken was a great example of it, and that was 20 years ago.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
Usually, unless there is a compelling reason to not do so. Ripken was a great example of it, and that was 20 years ago.

12, but whatever. At least Ripken hit a homerun in that game. It's not like he got an infield single, and they decided to give it to Cal.

It's not the end of the world. Sale got the win. But it was style over substance in the typical MLB/Fox way.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
Usually the guy who deserves the MVP, gets it.

In this case, he did not.

I'm not mad about it, but there's right and wrong...and this was wrong.

It's typical 2013 marketing, pre-packaged, FOX, MLB, east coast biased, crap.

All the marketing BS would bother me more if Rivera wasn't such a good guy and actually seems to be geuiniely moved and appreciative of everything.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)

Kind of. Even he admits that Sale should have gotten in but he can see why Mo got it instead.

This line stood out though:

Rivera's All-Star Game MVP Award will be forgotten tomorrow

Does anyone remember who won it last year? The year before?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
Kind of. Even he admits that Sale should have gotten in but he can see why Mo got it instead.

Melky Cabrera.

No.

Hank Blalock won it when it was at USCF.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
He helped us win home field advantage....that is worth a lot more than any All Star Game MVP. Now come on Hahn.....go out there and trade for some bats. Lets go out and make this victory mean something in the second half of the season!

It's kinda awesome that you're keeping this bit going. :lol:

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)

It is years like this that are actually remembered. I'd actually argue that if Sale won it, it would be forgotten sooner.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 01:07 AM)
He threw two scoreless innings. Everyone else threw one scoreless inning each. It's not like some huge snub or anything -- two really nice plays by Miguel Cabrera of all people as well saved a couple hits.

This. I don't get why everyone is drooling over Sale's performance. It was good, just like the rest of the AL staff. But Harper crushed that pitch from him - right to Cabrera. It's not like he was untouchable out there or anything. He just got one extra inning over the other pitchers.

Hell, Cecil and Delabar stuck out every batter they faced. Nathan struck out half the batters he faced and successfully closed the game against an All-Star lineup. And that's not even looking at the offensive side of the game. Cabrera gets a double and a run scored while making some good plays in the field. Kipnis and Fielder batted 1.000, Kipnis with an RBI double, and Fielder with a triple. It was a game where 19 position players played, and 10 pitchers pitched, and no one had a truly standout performance. How can you say Sale's contribution was the most valuable? There simply was no MVP in this game, so it goes to Mo by default. I've got no problem with that.

Plus it's the All-Star game. It's an exhibition for the fans (albeit with some real value to the winning side), a show, and the send-off for Mo makes a good show.

Rivera could have just gone out and taken a dump on the mound and then go to the dugout, and he still would have won MVP. Sale got hosed, but at least he didn't hurt himself. That's all that matters.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
All the marketing BS would bother me more if Rivera wasn't such a good guy and actually seems to be geuiniely moved and appreciative of everything.

He's also a real Yankee. Came up through their system.

The award was given to the sentimental choice. That's all.

I'm glad Sale pitched well, and got the win. Most years, he gets the MVP. But since it's mostly about marketing and doing the "classy" thing, they gave it to the old guy.

Hopefully Sale will earn another MVP some year, and they'll actually give it to him so he can enjoy it with his family.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
f*** nostalgia, Sale got hosed. Even national writers agree. I hope we see Rivera in the playoffs!

Playoffs? Playoffs? Cue Jim Mora, please, we ain't going to the f***ing playoffs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Playoffs? Playoffs? Cue Jim Mora, please, we ain't going to the f***ing playoffs.

I read that as "We" means us, soxtalk members. Not "We" meaning the White Sox.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
Sale was ranked 16th by FanGraphs on their trade value list.

For the record, that is higher than Yasiel Puig, Felix Hernandez, Yu Darvish, and a few top 5 prospects.

Despite Hahn's silence, Sale's contract is a good one. Kudos to Hahn.