ARod suspended for entire 2014 season

Balta1701

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
I would be surprised if the percentage of NFLers on PEDs wasn't somewhere in the neighborhood of 100%.

Does anyone REALLY believe Ray Lewis made a miraculous recovery from that torn triceps?

Difference is in baseball we can throw around these accusations with impunity b/c everyone got caught, but with NFL athletes people clutch their pearls when you say that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
If it were, there would be plenty of teams looking to sign him as a free agent. He may not be an MVP off of the juice, but I think he'd still be a pretty good hitter.

Are you assuming he's been on some form of PED's since he came into the league?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
Are you assuming he's been on some form of PED's since he came into the league?

I have no idea, it's hard to say. His positive test was in the 2011 NLDS, which was right after his MVP season. He didn't just come out of nowhere though, he was a high first round draft pick out of Miami. Unless he has been juicing the whole time, including his college days, I would think he has enough talent to keep hitting at a decent level.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
I have no idea, it's hard to say. His positive test was in the 2011 NLDS, which was right after his MVP season. He didn't just come out of nowhere though, he was a high first round draft pick out of Miami. Unless he has been juicing the whole time, including his college days, I would think he has enough talent to keep hitting at a decent level.

Well, he was in Miami.....

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)

I'm going to assume that he hasn't been juicing his entire career...although I admit, I was wrong about him juicing in the first place...he's been an awfully good player for a long time now...I think his PED-less performance would be a bit better than you're giving him credit for, but I could certainly be wrong, as I was about him before.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
I'm going to assume that he hasn't been juicing his entire career...although I admit, I was wrong about him juicing in the first place...he's been an awfully good player for a long time now...I think his PED-less performance would be a bit better than you're giving him credit for, but I could certainly be wrong, as I was about him before.

The real question is...if you're in the shoes of a GM...how much would you be willing to risk on that bet?

It seems like the Yankees, for example, are going to be out >$100 million on it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
The real question is...if you're in the shoes of a GM...how much would you be willing to risk on that bet?

It seems like the Yankees, for example, are going to be out >$100 million on it.

The thing about the Yankees is they gave A-Rod a 10-year deal at age 31, the length killed them. Braun will be 30 at the start of 2014. If he were a free agent, I'd be willing to bet a good size 3-4 year deal on him, maybe 5. Anything past that would be too much of a gamble IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
The thing about the Yankees is they gave A-Rod a 10-year deal at age 31, the length killed them. Braun will be 30 at the start of 2014. If he were a free agent, I'd be willing to bet a good size 3-4 year deal on him, maybe 5. Anything past that would be too much of a gamble IMO.

and i'm sure you know you'd probably lose him to some team offering a 7 year deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
and i'm sure you know you'd probably lose him to some team offering a 7 year deal.

I'm sure he'd probably sign a 1-year deal for $15 million or so and try to re-establish his long term value by answering the critics.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)

Ha, probably. And I would be fine with walking away from that (unless I were Arte Moreno). In this era, clean sluggers dont age very well, I'm sure guys with PED history will age even worse.

The thing is....nobody knows how good these guys really are when not on PEDs, except the guys taking them. We have no way of knowing how long they've been using them. Who is to say that they haven't been using some kind of PED since high school, where most PED use starts? That's the problem with using them. Now their entire career is in question... It is my opinion that most of these players have probably been juicing the majority of their careers.

According to CBS Evening News’ Jim Axelrod, Alex Rodriguez could be facing a lifetime ban from MLB.

Ryan Braun was given a 65-game suspension on Monday for his involvement in the Biogenesis PED clinic and reports from ESPN have stated that the evidence against A-Rod is "far beyond" what Major League Baseball investigators had on the Brewers star. Rodriguez is presumably going to attempt to work out a deal with the commissioner's office, but if MLB has enough evidence it could look to push the 37-year-old third baseman out for good. There's much more to come.

per Rotoworld

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Even the punters?

I know many positions in football come with a revolving door, but it seems especially true for punters (and kickers). Kick the football a little further than the next guy, and maybe you're able to hold on to a roster spot. It's not necessarily even about making it to the "show"; IIRC, someone who is strictly on a team's practice squad makes just under $100K annually. I know the affordability of PEDs may be an issue in those cases, but people will do conniving things to gain an advantage on their competition for much pettier things than a six-figure salary.

It is the same thing in baseball. Only guys like Braun, ARod, Bonds are noticed. But a AAA pitcher who can add two mph to his fastball can suddenly make the majors. Same thing with a hitter who might need a tiny bit more pop in his bat. There are guys at those levels up to no good too, and they are taking away MLB jobs from clean players.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 05:42 PM)
It is the same thing in baseball. Only guys like Braun, ARod, Bonds are noticed. But a AAA pitcher who can add two mph to his fastball can suddenly make the majors. Same thing with a hitter who might need a tiny bit more pop in his bat. There are guys at those levels up to no good too, and they are taking away MLB jobs from clean players.

They're getting penalized too. The MiLB drug policy is notoriously harsh and there are many lowly MLBers and MiLB guys involved in this controversy.