ARod suspended for entire 2014 season

Balta1701

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time of the MLB turning a blind eye goes back even before McGwire and Sosa dueled it out for the HR crown back in 98. I still remember cub fans and media alike creamed their shorts when Sosa showed up in ST MUCH bigger than he was the year before at seasons end. It was obvious to everyone yet nobody said s***. MLB did nothing til it became obvious, thanks Bud!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
Denny Neagle is the big one.

Neagle had his contract voided because of a morals clause because of picking up a prostitute. He was mentioned in the Mitchell report but the guy was pretty much out of baseball at that point.

To my knowledge nobody has had a contract voided due to steroids, At least at the major league level. If that happened to Arod, he would be the precedent

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
Neagle had his contract voided because of a morals clause because of picking up a prostitute. He was mentioned in the Mitchell report but the guy was pretty much out of baseball at that point.

To my knowledge nobody has had a contract voided due to steroids, At least at the major league level. If that happened to Arod, he would be the precedent

The morals clause would be a slam dunk here.

I will eat my words if the morals clause is enacted to void this contract, but I really think that opens a huge can of worms that the MLBPA will not allow

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2013/...-rods-contract/

The first, and biggest, problem for the Yankees to clear is that A-Rod’s contract is guaranteed, and iron-clad under the rules of the CBA. The Yankees can not simply decide, unilaterally, to abrogate the contract, nor can they go before a judge or an arbitrator making ad hoc arguments as though the law had to be made on the fly due to unclear rules or something. Disciplinary reasonings won’t help either, since the CBA also spells out in detail the exact punishments for A-Rod’s alleged offense, and they don’t include the voiding of a free agent contract. If the league decides to take action, Alex will be suspended for 50 games as stipulated by the rules, and that’s that. Indeed, the fact that the punishment is explicitly prescribed by the CBA more or less shuts this whole discussion down, as there’s no way the Yankees can expect to find a judge who would find that they are somehow special and can operate outside the parameters of the CBA, which is exactly what they’d be doing.

http://m.theweek.com/article.php?id=245354

Depending on how a so-called "moral" clause in Rodriguez's contract is taken, the Yankees could conceivably try to say he violated those terms and thus negated the whole deal. However, there is nothing in his contract that specifically mentions steroids, according to ESPN's Andrew Marchand, so that case would be a tough sell..

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
I will eat my words if the morals clause is enacted to void this contract, but I really think that opens a huge can of worms that the MLBPA will not allow

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2013/...-rods-contract/

http://m.theweek.com/article.php?id=245354

MLBPA will fight it for sure. They have to.

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2013/11/27/...resses-remorse/

In first public appearance Braun expresses remorse

Making his first public comments since he was suspended in July, Ryan Braun on Wednesday expressed contrition in person for his “huge mistake” but offered no more details about his specific transgressions.

Instead, his mere appearance, bundled up for a food drive outside frigid Miller Park the day before Thanksgiving, was the latest step in what Braun himself says will be a long, difficult bid to repair his reputation.

“I wish I had the ability to go back and change things and do things a lot differently,” Braun said. “Unfortunately, I can’t do that. All I can do is move on, try to do everything in my power to earn people’s trust and respect and support. I don’t anticipate winning back everybody’s support, but I certainly intend to do everything in my power to do that. I won’t stop trying.”

Before he faced a bank of microphones on Wednesday, most of Braun’s efforts had been small-scale. In August, he apologized over the phone to Brewers coaches and teammates and sent letters to a variety of baseball officials, including Major League Baseball Commissioner Allan H. “Bud” Selig. In September, Braun personally called some Brewers season seatholders to apologize, and visited the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin, one of the nonprofits with which he had worked extensively.

On Tuesday, Braun and fiancée Larisa Fraser had dinner at the home of Dino Laurenzi Jr., the sample collector whom Braun blasted in a February 2012 press conference, after Braun had successfully appealed a 50-game suspension.

“We had some really good conversations,” said Braun, who said he made no payments to Laurenzi. “We’ve made amends, and I think we’re both excited to be able to move forward and put this behind us.”

Asked what possessed him to go after Laurenzi in the first place, Braun said, “I’m not really going to get into too many specifics. I wish that I hadn’t done the press conference. It was a big mistake. I deeply regret having done it, and a lot of the things that I said that day.

“But again, all I can do is move forward, and in an effort to do that I’m not going to get into too many specifics. I really don’t think that it does anything too positive or productive for me, for the team, for the game of baseball or anybody else. And in an effort to move forward, I’m not going to discuss that subject.”

Isn't there an out here? Yankees agree to pay A-Rod half of the $86M left on his contract, A-Rod agrees to leave MLB and never come back, but does not have to admit to any PED use. Seems easier than the year or longer court battle this is headed for.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)
Isn't there an out here? Yankees agree to pay A-Rod half of the $86M left on his contract, A-Rod agrees to leave MLB and never come back, but does not have to admit to any PED use. Seems easier than the year or longer court battle this is headed for.

So ARod is out $43 million when he might have a decent shot at the full $86 million if he just fights the legal case?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:11 AM)

To me, that would essentially be a plea bargain and an admission of some guilt. So he's out $43 million, he never gets to play again, and he's a PED user.

May as well fight it. If he loses, he's made a lot of money, and if he wins, he gets even more money.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
To me, that would essentially be a plea bargain and an admission of some guilt. So he's out $43 million, he never gets to play again, and he's a PED user.

May as well fight it. If he loses, he's made a lot of money, and if he wins, he gets even more money.

Yup.

I'm with A-Rod on this to. MLB deserves to get hit hard, as do the Yankees.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
It only took two failed drug tests, one suspension, and one character assassination

When you've got nothing to lose...

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 22, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
By my count there were 10 - 12 years of hmm, is there something? Then 5 or 6 years of "don't look over there, it's selling tickets". Finally a few years of trying to get it cleaned up.

I doubt it took 10-12 years in an athletic environment for athletes, trainers, and medical professionals to figure out PEDs were rampant in the clubhouses. If someone at my job, your job, any job is up to something, word spreads pretty quickly. That could be affairs, drug use, alcoholism - you name it. People like to talk.

There were 10-12 years of teams and reporters ignoring the information available. The fans were a little slower to catch on because the fans were fed improved technology, smaller ballparks, tighter winding of the baseballs, etc. Propaganda in other words.

That said, count me among those who think ARod is a victim of a witch hunt, and a part of me wants to see him get off just to stick it to the Yankees and MLB. And I'm not an ARod fan. And I'm one of the old school fans who loves baseball a little less because PEDs ruined the stats that I grew up memorizing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)
That description is equally apt for how baseball dealt with this issue for 15 years.

Does that mean A-Rod is innocent of roiding? And are you of all people upset baseball is finally cleaning its act up? Have beef with Selig if you must, but that shouldn't change that the fact that A-Rod is roading douchebag who thinks he can buy his way out of his mistakes. He deserves no sympathy from anyone whatsoever.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)
Does that mean A-Rod is innocent of roiding? And are you of all people upset baseball is finally cleaning its act up? Have beef with Selig if you must, but that shouldn't change that the fact that A-Rod is roading douchebag who thinks he can buy his way out of his mistakes. He deserves no sympathy from anyone whatsoever.

No. That means baseball itself is a multi-time offending douchebag and so baseball deserves as much credit for doing the right thing as say, Ryan Braun gets for doing the right thing after every other s***ty thing he did.

MLB deserves scorn here as well. I would agree with you that ARoid deserves more scorn...but MLB is a bunch of douchebags who made a fortune off of roiding and they similarly deserve very little credit from anyone.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)

Be that as it may, that does not mean what MLB is doing is right. And it's not.