ARod suspended for entire 2014 season

Balta1701

I hope he wins his appeal federal appeal and only gets the first time offender penalty. The Yankees knew what they were paying for when they signed him. The NYY organization shouldnt be able to weasel their way out of this ridiculous contract.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
Good riddance. I'm glad by and large the arbitrator held this up. Bad news is the Yankees can now really front load a deal with Tanaka and throw a lot of coin without being too worried about luxury tax payments this year.

Salaries are on a straight-line basis for luxury tax purposes, so they won't be able to front-load a Tanaka.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
I hope he wins his appeal federal appeal and only gets the first time offender penalty. The Yankees knew what they were paying for when they signed him. The NYY organization shouldnt be able to weasel their way out of this ridiculous contract.

I'm sorry, but A-Rod is a multi-time offender and grade A asshole. I'm happy he's losing a year of his salary, even if it helps the Yankees.

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that arbitrator Fredric Horowitz has ruled that Alex Rodriguez receive a 162-game suspension.

If upheld, that would mean the aging superstar will sit out the entirety of the 2014 regular season. It's a slight win for Rodriguez who was initially handed a 211-game ban, though it's still significantly longer than he was hoping for. He has already announced that he plans to file a lawsuit in federal court over the ruling. The Yankees stand to save $25 million in 2014 by not having to pay A-Rod's salary.

According to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, Alex Rodriguez has every intention of reporting to spring training with the Yankees.

There's really not anything that the team can do to stop him from doing so, as his suspension doesn't begin until the start of the regular season. It's very clear that A-Rod isn't going down without a fight on this issue, and will do everything in his power to continue to seek exoneration.

Per Rotoworld

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)

This is what I hate.

It should still count against the Yankees and be donated to charity.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
Soooo do they already have a backup plan at 3B???

Right now the Yankees have Jetes at SS, and Brian Roberts, Brendan Ryan, Kelly Johnson, and Eduardo Nunez to cover the other 2 IF positions.

It's not exactly Cano + Arod, but if they've got their OF together, Soriano at DH, McCann at Catcher, and Tex is healthy at 1b, they would probably have enough offense to tolerate those guys at the bottom of their lineup.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
Keppinger would look great in Yankee pinstripes. :D

I thought so too but right now they don't have room to add $4.5 million and make Tanaka the kind of offer it might take to get him.

Keppinger isn't any better than what they've already signed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
Right now the Yankees have Jetes at SS, and Brian Roberts, Brendan Ryan, Kelly Johnson, and Eduardo Nunez to cover the other 2 IF positions.

It's not exactly Cano + Arod, but if they've got their OF together, Soriano at DH, McCann at Catcher, and Tex is healthy at 1b, they would probably have enough offense to tolerate those guys at the bottom of their lineup.

Yeah, I think IF all those guys can stay healthy, I am sure they would be fine with Ryan's superb defense and no offense at third. IF

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
Yeah, I think IF all those guys can stay healthy, I am sure they would be fine with Ryan's superb defense and no offense at third. IF

IF someone gets hurt and IF they wind up having room underneath the Tax then Keppinger could be a fit for them but not right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
I thought so too but right now they don't have room to add $4.5 million and make Tanaka the kind of offer it might take to get him.

Yeah I know, just wishful Xbox thinking on my part plus I'm sure they can find better options. I have to disagree with you about the yanks not having the money for Keppinger since the Sox will sign Tanaka anyway therefore allowing the yanks more money for their payroll. :P

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)
Yeah I know, just wishful Xbox thinking on my part plus I'm sure they can find better options. I have to disagree with you about the yanks not having the money for Keppinger since the Sox will sign Tanaka anyway therefore allowing the yanks more money for their payroll. :P

If that happens, they'll probably have room for him after signing Garza, but he's still not better than the options they currently have if everyone stays healthy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
If that happens, they'll probably have room for him after signing Garza, but he's still not better than the options they currently have if everyone stays healthy.

Agreed, keppinger is in the same class of options they already have, just having fun is all. I've reluctantly accepted were stuck with keppinger, for now. But I will continue to dream, hope, pray and rub a lucky rabbits foot that we can bail on keppingers contract at some point. Maybe even ask a priest, father, rabbi, bishop, the pope and Richard Gere to perform an exorcism on keppingers contract. I am not without hope.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
And presumably now the real legal fight starts when the Yankees see if they can get out of the contract completely.

One of ARods main statement points in his release after the news broke was that he is trying to protect against the end of guaranteed contracts...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)

That is just funny to read.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7102754.story

Anthony Bosch, founder of former South Florida anti-aging clinic Biogenesis, said in an interview with "60 Minutes" that New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was meticulous about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Bosch also said he injected drugs into Rodriguez.

The interview aired Sunday night.

Related

Alex Rodriguez Alex Rodriguez

A-Rod suspended for 2014 season A-Rod suspended for 2014 season

Rodriguez's 211-game suspension, handed down Major League Baseball for his connection to Biogenesis, was shortened to 162 games by an arbitrator Saturday.

The interview, as well as text messages between Bosch and Rodriguez, indicate that Rodriguez was obsessed with using PEDs to help him try to become the only major-leaguer to reach 800 home runs. He has 654 homers.

Bosch injected drugs into Rodriguez because he was "scared of needles."

"So at times, he would ask me to inject," Bosch said.

Bosch described Rodriguez as secretive and himself as accommodating.

"Try to use service elevators. Careful. Tons of eyes," Rodriguez wrote to Bosch in a text message in June 2012 in Atlanta.

Bosch said in the interview that Rodriguez paid $12,000 per month for PEDs from Bosch.

"Alex cared. Alex wanted to know," Bosch said. "He would study the product. He would study the substances. He would study the dosages, because he wanted to achieve all his human performance or in this case, sports performance, objectives. And the most important one was the 800 home run club."

Rodriguez sent Bosch a text during a spring training game in April 2012 after he had three RBIs.

"Really good. Explosive," Rodriguez wrote.

"Go with same protocol," Bosch replied.

Bosch's televised appearance drew an angry response from the Major League Baseball Players Association, which issued a statement that read in part, "It is unfortunate that Major League Baseball apparently lacks faith in the integrity and finality of the arbitrator's decision and our Joint Drug Agreement, such that it could not resist the temptation to publicly pile-on against Alex Rodriguez. It is equally troubling that the MLB-appointed Panel Arbitrator will himself be appearing in the '60 Minutes' segment, and that Tony Bosch, MLB's principal witness, is appearing on the program with MLB's blessing."

As much as I love this game, wouldn't mind Alex going all "scorched earth" on the Yankees by showing up at ST. What an awesomely huge distraction that would be. Would also not mind seeing him finish what his attorney started by outing his fellow roiders, starting with Ortiz.

• 3 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id...turn-suspension

Suspended New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez gave up his fight against Major League Baseball on Friday, dropping his lawsuit for tortious interference against the league in U.S. District Court in Manhattan.

Rodriguez also withdrew his lawsuits against Commissioner Bud Selig and the Major League Baseball Players Association, putting an end to his battle to overturn the 162-game suspension upheld last month by arbitrator Fredric Horowitz in connection with baseball's Biogenesis investigation.