8/1 at Indians

flavum

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
August 26-28 is gonna be HUGE!!!!!!

The games are in Chicago. How interesting will it be if more people are cheering for the Astros than for the White Sux? It should be fun times. Wish I could be there.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
The games are in Chicago. How interesting will it be if more people are cheering for the Astros than for the White Sux? It should be fun times. Wish I could be there.

While I do think it would be hilarious if people cheered at the park for the Astros, it would also be disgraceful

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:43 PM)
Somebody needs s*** canned for this crap!

It's difficult to be this bad. With Sale sucking today you have to wonder what is going on. Sox may be in line for a historic amount of losses because they CAN'T win at home and the road defeats are pretty much guaranteed. Poor Robin. This season he looks like a guy who is totally overmatched.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)
Joke is on you Cleveland you will win nothing this year whereas we are headed for that Big Draft Pick in the Sky

You guys are ridiculous with this draft talk. It's embarrassing IMO. I was telling a group of sports fans about this board and how Sox fans are all excited about getting the No. 1 pick and they laughed their asses off. Who cares about the baseball draft when our team is shockingly terrible?

I'm sure Cleveland fans feel the joke is on them after sweeping us again and being a game out. I love you Jose, but that's grade school.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
While I do think it would be hilarious if people cheered at the park for the Astros, it would also be disgraceful

Would it be more disgraceful than the team's performance though? I'm not sure. The franchise may be maxed out on disgrace by then.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)

I want this team to get the number 1 pick as much as anybody but I'd never go to the park to openly root against the Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
It's difficult to be this bad. With Sale sucking today you have to wonder what is going on.

You guys are ridiculous with this draft talk. It's embarrassing IMO. I was telling a group of sports fans about this board and how Sox fans are all excited about getting the No. 1 pick and they laughed their asses off. Who cares about the baseball draft when our team is shockingly terrible?

I'm sure Cleveland fans feel the joke is on them after sweeping us again and being a game out. I love you Jose, but that's grade school.

I think everyone is half-joking. Those that aren't are just looking for a silver lining. Is there anything wrong with that? You should stop accusing people of wanting the team to be bad, because it isn't true. Everyone here wishes we were contending.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)
Joke is on you Cleveland you will win nothing this year whereas we are headed for that Big Draft Pick in the Sky

I have a suggestion. Open a thread where people can root for the No. 1 draft pick and cut their little creative jokes about getting the No. 1 pick.

Do that and keep it out of all other threads and I PROMISE I will not mention Rios' name again this season. The No. 1 draft pick talk is embarrassing for those of us who don't give a s*** about that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
I have a suggestion. Open a thread where people can root for the No. 1 draft pick and cut their little creative jokes about getting the No. 1 pick.

Do that and keep it out of all other threads and I PROMISE I will not mention Rios' name again this season. The No. 1 draft pick talk is embarrassing for those of us who don't give a s*** about that.

How about we just use this one and see how long it keeps going?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:57 PM)
I think everyone is half-joking. Those that aren't are just looking for a silver lining. Is there anything wrong with that? You should stop accusing people of wanting the team to be bad, because it isn't true. Everyone here wishes we were contending.

If they are joking, fine, but the baseball draft is boring to many fans out there considering it takes 4 years for the players to even make the majors most times unless it's a college guy. Often the college guys flop.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
If they are joking, fine, but the baseball draft is boring to many fans out there considering it takes 4 years for the players to even make the majors most times unless it's a college guy. Often the college guys flop.

That's nice.

One of the great things about Soxtalk is the minor league coverage. People come here to learn about prospects and with this team being as awful as it is, a number of us are excited to get a premier talent into the organization to help the team be good for years to come. It's not difficult to comprehend.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
When he was hired he said that OBP was a little overrated or something like that. He should have been shown the door right then and there.

All he has ever said, which of course results in people jumping down his throat, is that there are situations in which a walk is not the most productive result of an at-bat. He has always used examples of great hitters needing to hit a pitch they can hit rather than letting pitchers pitch around them. The first time he was quoted saying something like this, he talked about having a runner on third with 1 out. He said if your best hitter is up and the pitcher is trying to walk him, that's not what you want. You want your best hitter to drive the man in instead of allowing the pitcher to set up a DP for an inferior hitter.

He also theorized that some of Dunn's issues were related to his preference of walks over hitting the right pitch. Early this season, we thought Manto had f***ed Adam up. It turns out, according to Adam, that he only began to turn around when Manto stuck to his guns and wouldn't let Adam scrap the changes to his approach just because he wasn't executing them correctly right away.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
If the White Sox continue to prioritize tools over skills at all costs, though, we're going to need someone that will teach the kids to stop swinging at bad pitches. And considering he was able to convince Adam Dunn, reigning emperor of TTO, to start swinging at anything that appeared to be middle in, regardless of count or pitch type, I do NOT think Manto is the guy to teach that plate discipline.

Manto has presided over Adam's K rate declining in consecutive seasons.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
That's nice.

One of the great things about Soxtalk is the minor league coverage. People come here to learn about prospects and with this team being as awful as it is, a number of us are excited to get a premier talent into the organization to help the team be good for years to come. It's not difficult to comprehend.

There's also a great future Sox board which I rarely check. Some fans (the baseball draft is a snoozefest IMO) don't see much difference between the first pick and the third or fourth. I'm tired of the jokes about getting the No. 1 pick like you guys are of me blasting Rios.To want the team to lose and to mention the season ending series with Houston like it's a big deal is pretty strange to me. I care about the games in August and September not the draft. Even Strasburg, the great American hero, has been human. No one pick is going to excite me that much.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
Manto has presided over Adam's K rate declining in consecutive seasons.

Well, in 2011, it declined from a career worst 35% to a second career worst 34%, and 2012's 29% is still higher than every year before his disastrous 2010. Also, while his K rate has technically declined, Manto has also presided over Adam's OBP and overall offensive production declining.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)

greg, it's baseball not life or death. As fans, there is absolutely nothing we can do to change the outcome of this horrendous season. Instead of just complaining about Flowers, Rios, everyone else day after day, post after post, some people are trying to entertain themselves by joking about "earning" the first pick. The Sox are here to entertain fans, however way you choose to be entertained. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you lose 80, 90, or 100 games, you aren't making the playoffs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
There's also a great future Sox board which I rarely check. Some fans (the baseball draft is a snoozefest IMO) don't see much difference between the first pick and the third or fourth. I'm tired of the jokes about getting the No. 1 pick like you guys are of me blasting Rios.To want the team to lose and to mention the season ending series with Houston like it's a big deal is pretty strange to me. I care about the games in August and September not the draft. Even Strasburg, the great American hero, has been human. No one pick is going to excite me that much.

You're right greg, maybe everyone here should try to post what you want to read.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
You're right greg, maybe everyone here should try to post what you want to read.

No biggie. I'll get used to the posts rooting for the No. 1 pick. I just see it as kind of dumb considering the fact picks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to me are about the same.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
Well, in 2011, it declined from a career worst 35% to a second career worst 34%, and 2012's 29% is still higher than every year before his disastrous 2010. Also, while his K rate has technically declined, Manto has also presided over Adam's OBP and overall offensive production declining.

He got a broken version of Adam. He has turned Adam into our best hitter this season and a key contributor last season and the second best hitter on the team if you combine the last two seasons.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
No biggie. I'll get used to the posts rooting for the No. 1 pick. I just see it as kind of dumb considering the fact picks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to me are about the same.

1 is the only one that has been historically very significantly different. 1 and 2 are different, but 2-3-4-5-6 are hardly any different from one another.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
He got a broken version of Adam. He has turned Adam into our best hitter this season and a key contributor last season and the second best hitter on the team if you combine the last two seasons.

I guess I'm just not sure that Manto is what "turned" Dunn into our best hitter. I would be more inclined to believe that were it not for that whole "get more aggressive" experiment we had in April that was a total disaster. Dunn got productive when he went back to being his old self.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
I guess I'm just not sure that Manto is what "turned" Dunn into our best hitter. I would be more inclined to believe that were it not for that whole "get more aggressive" experiment we had in April that was a total disaster. Dunn got productive when he went back to being his old self.

This was 100% my read as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)

I'll be shocked if Rodon isn't in the majors within a year of getting drafted.

Edited by fathom