Game Thread? Game thread

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 10:03 PM)
The only thing that concerns me with Santiago is his BB/9 and HR/9, he owns 3.97BB/9 & 1.12HR/9 as a starter thats a yellow flag. Since July and including tonights game he is at 3.22BB/9 a .75 drop and 1.15HR/9 a .03 increase. Hector needs to follow in the mold of Rienzo and keep his pace up, because when he takes to much time between pitches it goes to s***. As a starter he has a 4.24FIP @ a 3.20 constant thats below average.

Hector has the talent to be just as good as Sale, he just needs to get those two things in check and he will be money.

Not sure about quite that, but I do think Hector can be a high-end #2.

The fact that the Sox get Sale, Quintana, and Santiago to build the staff around and possibly Johnson and Rienzo will make a rebuild go much, much faster.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 01:09 AM)
May I introduce you to Misters Troncosco, Lindstrom, Veal, and Purcey?

Those four guys have a combined ERA of 4.68, and the Sox overall bullpen ERA this year is 4.18.

The Astros bullpen ERA is 5.11.

As much as I'd like to see the Astros get hot at some point, and the Sox continue to suck, the Sox aren't getting the 1st pick. But the good news is the Sox have a very good shot at the 2nd pick...and that might be a better position to be in. The Astros will take Rodon because he's awesome and they need pitching. And the Sox will take the best offensive player, which is ok with me.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
Those four guys have a combined ERA of 4.68, and the Sox overall bullpen ERA this year is 4.18.

As much as I'd like to see the Astros get hot at some point, and the Sox continue to suck, the Sox aren't getting the 1st pick. But the good news is the Sox have a very good shot at the 2nd pick...and that might be a better position to be in. The Astros will take Rodon because he's awesome and they need pitching. And the Sox will take the best offensive player, which is ok with me.

A lot can change between now and the draft of course, but as of now if the Sox get the #2 pick, I think they go pitching. Interestingly, I've read some reports that now rate Jeff Hoffman

ahead of Rodon. Hoffman looks pretty solid in the few videos my untrained eye saw.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)

These guys are much worse than their ERA (not that the AStros bullpen isn't either). They are inflating our starters' ERAs with their inability to put out fires and their great ability in letting inherited runs score.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 10:03 PM)
The only thing that concerns me with Santiago is his BB/9 and HR/9, he owns 3.97BB/9 & 1.12HR/9 as a starter thats a yellow flag. Since July and including tonights game he is at 3.22BB/9 a .75 drop and 1.15HR/9 a .03 increase. Hector needs to follow in the mold of Rienzo and keep his pace up, because when he takes to much time between pitches it goes to s***. As a starter he has a 4.24FIP @ a 3.20 constant thats below average.

Hector has the talent to be just as good as Sale, he just needs to get those two things in check and he will be money.

I think Hector is our second to best pitcher...he has to work on the things you mentioned.

What worries me is that the dugout doesn't agree and they devalue him - e.g. their instincts were to put him in middle relief.

That's why I keep saying is that if we can get a blockbuster deal by sending out one of our pitcher for an equal or greater return in young positional talent, it would be Quintana to go, not Santiago.