Casper Wells claimed by Phillies

flavum

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)
I just can't see how that is possible.

11 home runs, .291 batting average, 1.013 OPS through May 9 had a lot of people saying that. Literally carried the Indians for those first 30 games.

Since May 10, he's hitting .178 with a .517 OPS and 4 HR.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
Yeah, let's all overlook 10 years of suckitude...

10 years of suckitude? First of all, he was drafted in 2004, I have no idea where you're finding his college numbers and judging based on that.

Secondly, he's been a legitimate 25 HR+ guy every year of his career, topping out with 44 HR and an .892 OPS in 2009. I wish the White Sox had someone sucking that badly.

2011 with the Orioles, 37 HR, .806 OPS.

After his start to the season it wasn't out of the question that you were getting a year closer to his 2009 performance and that was great. At the very least maybe you figure you've gotten his 2011 numbers and you've really solidified your team with a bottom of the order power bat.

Then he fell off a cliff. The OPS he's put up since early May is nearly 300 points worse than his career average and 240 points worse than he's put up for any season in his career.

I never cared for his strikeouts, but about three yrs ago I was at a Rockies/D'backs game, sitting in the front row behind D'backs bench. and saw Reynolds openly sassing (for lack of a better word) his manager, CJ Hinch. I just didn't care for it, even tho I did not know any background.

Well,

That is the non-event that is Casper the Friendly Outfielder gone. He couldn't hit, but he made some nice defensive plays and pitched one hell of an inning.

If Casper the Friendly Outfielder can get cliamed off waivers, there is hope for Flowers to be surely.......

QUOTE (glangon @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:14 AM)
Well,

That is the non-event that is Casper the Friendly Outfielder gone. He couldn't hit, but he made some nice defensive plays and pitched one hell of an inning.

If Casper the Friendly Outfielder can get cliamed off waivers, there is hope for Flowers to be surely.......

There is absolutely zero chance that we let Tyler go. Zero.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:28 AM)
We should

.275/.391/.484 in the minors, but too old to have trade value. And is cheap. Thus, very clear to me that Tyler's most value is staying here.

The light turns on and we have a nice find there or it doesnt and we dont. That's basically where we're at with Tyler.

He's been in the majors 3 years now. Nothing is turning on. He is a terrible baseball player. He certainly won't be here next year, so who cares if we let him go. Obviously I don't really care if he finishes the season with us,as long as he doesn't take at bats from Phegley.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

He's been in the majors 3 years now. Nothing is turning on. He is a terrible baseball player. He certainly won't be here next year, so who caresif we let him go. Obviously I don't really care if he finishes the season with us,as long as he doesn't take at bats from Phegley.

I don't think he's going to take playing time from Phegley, but you do have to have a second catcher and there isn't anybody else worth giving that spot to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
I can't wait until next year when everyone has declared Phegley a complete failure and wants him gone on waivers.

Don't try and draw up comparisons between him and Flowers. Flowers has been up for 5 seasons, 3 full ones. He's bad. Phegley will likely be bad too, but he has time. I still would not mind getting a longer term solution at C since we have the cash.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
Don't try and draw up comparisons between him and Flowers. Flowers has been up for 5 seasons, 3 full ones. He's bad. Phegley will likely be bad too, but he has time. I still would not mind getting a longer term solution at C since we have the cash.

He played in 18 games the first 2 seasons and had 35 plate appearances. His first game in 2011 was July 19th. This "3 full seasons and 5 total" is a straw man argument. He has 575 plate appearances in his career, which is about 1 full seasons worth of plate appearances for a catcher, perhaps a bit more.

Yeah, letting that go for free sounds like a good idea for a team that needs young, cost controlled players with a successful minor league track record.

I don't have high hopes for Flowers either, but getting rid of him right now is irrational and would be a person acting on impulse rather than logic and reason.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 08:52 AM)
His only meaningful background is being a terrible MLB player. There's no point to getting rid of him now but since there is 0% chance he's with the Sox next opening day it doesn't matter either way.

I disagree strongly with this

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
Stone has been making it very clear in recent broadcasts that Garcia isn't coming up until there is a full-time spot for him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
There is, CF

Carmen DeFalco ‏@CarmenDeFalco11h

Great seeing @OzzieGuillen and @oguillenjr tonight. Bowling to find a cure for CF.

Retweeted by Ozzie Guillen Jr

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
Anybody know who is coming up for Wells? I am assuming Leesman would be the 26th man for the doubleheader and optioned after the game tonight.

Perhaps stuck in a holding pattern pending results of Rios movement?

Perhaps stuck in a holding pattern pending results of Rios movement?

Right, but they're already down an outfielder because of Wells and might be down another if Rios is traded, so either way it seems like they'd want to get an outfielder up today.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 09:30 AM)
Right, but they're already down an outfielder because of Wells and might be down another if Rios is traded, so either way it seems like they'd want to get an outfielder up today.

Tekotte I would presume?