Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 12:41 AM)
I saw he was a client. I googled him to see his stats from last year. I found a trade speculation article on him.

Brandon Phillips trade speculation

Maybe they want Beckham. MAYBE they will take Dunn back!

Why would the Sox pay 10 million more a year to Phillips than Beckham? His OPS was ..009 higher.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 06:24 AM)
It should be pretty obvious that the single biggest need is still a left handed, middle of the order hitter to sandwich between Abreu and Garcia. They simply cannot use Dunn to fill that role. If Dunn is still on the team, he must bat lower down in the order.

Moreover, he'll be gone after the season, and there are no left handed impact bats in the system, anywhere near ready to contribute. I'm pretty sure that is why there has been so much talk about Granderson.

McCann makes sense, as he is not only capable of filling that role, but he also plays a position of need. Except for 2012, he has been very good vs. RHP.

If they signed McCann, they could let de Aza play CF again next year, unless they can find a lead off hitter, with a higher OBP, to play there. De Aza appears to have suffered the consequences of trying to hit more home runs. If he could return to the player he was in 2011 and 2012, he would be fine at lead-off. There is still the question of his defense in CF, but he does have the tools to play there. His problem seems more mental than physical.

With no other changes, the lineup could look like this, vs. RHP:

CF A. de Aza

2B Beckham

1B Abreu

C McCann

RF Garcia

DH Dunn

LF Viciedo

3B Gillaspie

SS Ramirez

Semien could platoon with Gillaspie

Must you state this in every post you make like we havent read it in every other post you have made? Good god

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 08:01 AM)
I'm glad the Sox "won" on this signing, but he better be able to cover a 95-mph fastball.

They must be pretty confident he'll at least hit homers and drive in runs, and take the occasional walk.

my exact thoughts..

i'm beyond ecstatic, but the bleacher report scouting thing that said he struggles to cover a 92 mph inside fastball...

that doesn't exactly scream MLB hitter.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
This, in the 'Bad Dream' Department.....

Abreu signs, is added to the 40 man roster, and starts out in either Birmingham or Charlotte after spring training.

Also under bad dream department, my mother turns out to be my father and my dog is actually a cat.

This isn't going to happen. Dream of women.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:52 AM)
Headley's price is about as low as it'll ever get. I'd be ecstatic to get a player like him (even his bad season wasn't that bad).

Just so it's said...his trade price might be low, but his $ price is going to be up there and the Padres aren't going to be motivated to move him at all.

QUOTE (staxx @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 08:06 AM)
my exact thoughts..

i'm beyond ecstatic, but the bleacher report scouting thing that said he struggles to cover a 92 mph inside fastball...

that doesn't exactly scream MLB hitter.

When they had some old scouting reports out on the internet last summer, did you happen to read a few of the reports on Frank Thomas? One said it was doubtful he could hit .250. I wouldn't be too freaked out about certain reports. He obviously can hit at least a little bit or teams like Boston and Texas wouldn't be offering him at least $40 million.

And again, I wouldn't be freaked out about a guy who might not hit perfect pitches. There aren't many guys that can do that. This is an exciting signing. Enjoy it. Maybe he won't live up to the hype, but at worst he should be serviceable.

The other benefit is, supposedly this guy, just like Cespedes and Puig, is in a lot better shape now than he was when he was putting up these ridiculous numbers.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
This, in the 'Bad Dream' Department.....

Abreu signs, is added to the 40 man roster, and starts out in either Birmingham or Charlotte after spring training.

Not happening, he will be opening day 1st basemen

Love this quote from the Phil Rodgers article on chisox.com:

A formula designed by Baseball Prospectus' Clay Davenport translates stats from Serie Nacional to the Major Leagues. It pretty much nailed Cespedes' stats in his rookie season with Oakland. When you put Abreu's totals into that formula, you get a force of nature who is a cross between the Tigers' Cabrera and Barry Bonds in his prime.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
Love this quote from the Phil Rodgers article on chisox.com:

A formula designed by Baseball Prospectus' Clay Davenport translates stats from Serie Nacional to the Major Leagues. It pretty much nailed Cespedes' stats in his rookie season with Oakland. When you put Abreu's totals into that formula, you get a force of nature who is a cross between the Tigers' Cabrera and Barry Bonds in his prime.

Did Phil rip that off from Jonah Keri's grantland column from last year? Because I swear a quote very similar to that is buried in Keri's column

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
Did Phil rip that off from Jonah Keri's grantland column from last year? Because I swear a quote very similar to that is buried in Keri's column

That's what I thought, he's just putting it in his own words I guess... I posted the grant land article last night good read about JDA and Cuban baseball in general.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Yea, that was playoff level thread intensity last night.

I wish I was around when it was developing. I checked twitter and saw three tweets from Dan Bernstein and was like WHOA

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 06:57 AM)
Must you state this in every post you make like we havent read it in every other post you have made? Good god

Yes, it's worth reiterating, when many of you continue to suggest acquiring more right handed hitters.

If Hahn spends big money on another right handed hitter, I'll be shocked. Forget names such as Corey Hart, John Buck,

Marlon Byrd etc.

Moreover, there was more to my post, which only mentioned the need for the left handed hitter as the context in which I was speculating about the rest of the roster, and the lineup.

What is your suggestion, beyond that I not belabor the need for a left handed hitter?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
Yes, it's worth reiterating, when many of you continue to suggest acquiring more right handed hitters.

If Hahn spends big money on another right handed hitter, I'll be shocked. Forget names such as Corey Hart, John Buck,

Marlon Byrd etc.

Moreover, there was more to my post, which only mentioned the need for the left handed hitter as the context in which I was speculating about the rest of the roster, and the lineup.

What is your suggestion, beyond that I not belabor the need for a left handed hitter?

I think you did just fine and you're right -- since you didn't suggest Grady Sizemore :P