LittleHurt05

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a fit.

I would like bringing in Abreu and Crisp, teaching Viciedo how to play 1B and giving Semien a chance to win 3B in ST.

LF - De Aza, Viciedo

CF - Crisp, De Aza

DH - Dunn, Viciedo

1B- Abreu, Viciedo, Dunn

5 players for 4 positions. If someone gets injured or we have a tough LHP on the mound we have options. I know I'll get ripped for having Viciedo on the bench but I am doubting his likelihood of becoming a middle of the order hitter.

What about C? We have to do better than what we have currently.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:10 AM)
What about C? We have to do better than what we have currently.

Ideally they sign Abreu and McCann and then use a starting pitcher to acquire a 3B. However, that only works if you're trying to compete in 2014.

Ideally they sign Abreu and McCann and then use a starting pitcher to acquire a 3B. However, that only works if you're trying to compete in 2014.

I'd like to See the Sox do what you're suggesting. I don't want to see them go "all in" or anything like that, but the stellar starting pitching we have does have a window. I don't think we should punt 2014.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:16 AM)
I'd like to See the Sox do what you're suggesting. I don't want to see them go "all in" or anything like that, but the stellar starting pitching we have does have a window. I don't think we should punt 2014.

They could make those acquisitions and still be well under the payroll from this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:12 AM)

I don't think you trade for a 3B if you sign both those guys (or sub Abreu for a quality 1Bman). Gillaspie/Semien/Keppinger should be fine there in the 9 hole, especially if Garcia and Viciedo turn into league average hitters. You keep the strength of the rotation.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
First and foremost I want Abreu. You have to add to the young core.

Then we would need a defensive CF and a capable back up.

Perhaps trade for a young 3B. Say Santiago to TOR for Lawrie and a decent prospect. I also love John Jaso out in Oakland but have no idea what his contract is like

CF Crisp

2B Beckham

1B Abreu

DH Dunn

RF Garcia

LF De Aza

3B Lawrie

C Phegley/Jaso

SS Alexei

That way 6 of the 9 starters can still be a part of the future (Beck, Abreu, Garcia, De Aza, Lawrie and Phegley) while the placeholders (Crisp, Dunn, Alexei) will open the door for farm players that hopefully start and stay producing. Viciedo getting split time in LF, 1B and at DH with De Aza playing CF every once in a while. Obviously, the bullpen would need some work but I am not too worried about that. SP should be good.

We pretty much agree but I'd rather trade DeAza , Tank, Rienzo or Eric Johnson for that CF and a defensive minded C who's can hit better than Phegley or Flowers, just who I haven't given it much thought yet. But would hate giving up on Phegs or Conor just yet or Viciedo for that matter. But somewhere somehow the Sox need bad D and bad baserunning gone and either DeAza or Viciedo ,Flowers or Phegs will be the ones to go. Strength up the middle prioritized.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 09:08 PM)
Choo is terrible against LHP and is going to command big money.

He fills a hole at leadoff and yes he has struggled against LHP this year but hitting .331 against RHP. Sox got money to spend not really a issue. I like him better than Abreu.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 07:57 PM)
I doubt we get the value in return for those guys that is worth the trade. As for the CF, sure, I would welcome a trade. I doubt there is a defensive minded catcher who hits well that is available. Do you have one in mind? Phegley I am not ready to give up on. Gillaspie his ceiling is so low that 3B should be a position where we try to develop a young and talented everyday player. Viciedo I am split on but am doubting.

Johnson should be in the top 75 prospects next year. AFter his showing this year Rienzo would be sought after. Tank and DeAza both have pop and the steroid free era ( if there ever is one) will always want HR's and HR potential so some value is there. I'm not looking to finish the rebuild in one year. With our starting pitching another big bat like Abreu's and upgrades on D up the middle and limiting the bad baserunning would go a long way. I'll admit I'm higher on Conor than most ,like say a possible .270 BA with 10-15 HR's ,his walks and D he's serviceable at 3rd. Upgrade hitting and D a bit at C and see how it goes.