FS visiting three affiliates in the coming days

NorthSideSox72

FutureSox will be in-person at three minor league affiliates within the next week. I will be at Kanny Friday, and W-S Saturday. Balta will be at Bristol on Monday.

For the Kanny and W-S games, I'll be on the field during BP and warm-ups, doing interviews, etc. During the games I'll be in the scout seats taking pics and videos, and copious notes. Articles on FS will follow. Also, for the W-S game, I'll be a guest in the radio booth (for those who occasionally go to wsdash.com/broadcast to listen in), and possibly with the TV crew as well.

If anyone has specific requests for information or targeting specific prospects, post them here.

We will also be tweeting live @FutureSox, if you are on Twitter.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
1. Two years at Bristol.

2. Not playing much.

3. Low BA.

4. Other young catchers are playing as much/more.

1. Not really. He barely played after being drafted as a still 17 year old kid last year.

2. He was 18-19 this season.

3. It's rookie ball. And he just turned 19.

4. So?

Catchers often take longer to develop for many reasons. He was raw when drafted, out of high school, and signed well over slot value, so you can't just look at his draft round and make assumptions. His prospect status really shouldn't be changed at all since he was drafted last year. Would it have been nice to see him put up more tangible numbers? Sure. But we don't know what they're working on with him. Expecting him to play every day or fly up the organizational ladder is asking to be disappointed.

I'd love tips on things to look for while @ Bristol or things to specifically ask their players from anyone else. I'll definitely keep an eye on Sammy Ayala and see if I can get the chance to meet him.

Go to Bristol a couple days early and take in a NASCAR race.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Southern Indiana, I would like you to meet The Region. Region, Southern Indiana.

You're telling an IUB alum who now lives in Tennessee that he isn't familiar enough with southern indiana? Um...hell I have pieces of rock from southern indiana sitting on my countertop.

Doesn't mean I have to like all of their interests.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
You're telling an IUB alum who now lives in Tennessee that he isn't familiar enough with southern indiana? Um...hell I have pieces of rock from southern indiana sitting on my countertop.

Doesn't mean I have to like all of their interests.

I'm just laughing about the differences in what is worth seeing between here and there.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:40 PM)
I would like some information on Trey Michalczewski. He seems to have great discipline at the plate but little results in terms of average to this point. Also interested on how his power and speed measure.

Balta is the guy for that one, but I do want to throw out there... he is very young and raw. I wouldn't expect a lot in terms of results from him yet. He's got a big adjustment to make. He'll probably spend some time in fall instructs in AZ, and then next season we'll get a better idea of what he can do results-wise. Right now, scouting a guy like that is looking at softer stuff like pitch recognition, bat plane and speed, athleticism, in-at-bat adjustments, defensive tools (arm, glove, lateral movement), etc. Not so much the hard and fast results.

I'd love an interview with Tyler Danish at Kanny, or just a couple of quotes if at all possible on anything, or how the Sox got him out of his commitment to Florida. (I know part/most of it is $$$, just wondering if there was anything else).

I will be on the radio with Josh Feldman during the Kanny game Friday night, and the same with Brian Boesch for the Dash game Saturday night. Below are the links to the broadcast feeds, which I recommend listening to anyway (if you don't already), but in particular if you want to hear me drone on about prospects...

Kanny (go to page, click link for your device to start feed): Link

W-S: Link

The @FutureSox Twitter account will be updated with the specific inning we'll be on, when we know that.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 12:11 AM)
Jake Cose has had a phenomenal August thus far at W-S .I'd like to know his FB speed , what off speed pitches he throws, and what pitches does he consider a work in progress or pitches he'd like to work on developing.

He is among my top targets for the W-S game.

Meantime... his fastball is still rangy in terms of velocity, runs 88 to 93, usually 90-91... but he has an array of breaking stuff, and has a low 3/4 slot he usually uses that gives him some serious movement on those pitches. He also sometimes drops down to full sidearm. He's primarily a deception guy, but when he's hitting his spots, he can be very tough to hit.

Remember too, this is a converted position player who is still developing as a pitcher. So there is more ceiling room there for him.

Back from the Kanny game. Got 8 player interviews in, plus manager Tommy Thompson. Did the radio visit in the 3rd inning. Sat next to a Sox scout, and also next to Tony Bucciferro (was on clipboard duty tonight). Got some good info there too. Got video of all three pitchers (Hansen, Throne, Bollinger), and some of the position players (May, Anderson, Barnum, others I can't remember right now).

Also, I helped pull the tarp. Barefoot.

Articles will go up in coming days. Need to transcribe a bunch of stuff, edit some videos. Takes time.

Tomorrow night at Winston-Salem, same routine.

W-S today. As a preview, here is my "target list" of players I will TRY to speak with and ask some questions of. I cannot guarantee I will actually get to talk with all of them (in fact I most likely won't), but, here it is...

Courtney Hawkins

Jake Cose

Micah Johnson

Myles Jaye

Kevan Smith

Chris Curley

Joey DeMichele

Mike Recchia

Mark Haddow

Ravelo and Ortiz would be on the list, but as I understand, their English isn't great, and I don't want to have to ask for an interpreter.