Fantasy football advice thread

I remember we had a thread like this last season that a lot of people used. I need some keeper advice. This league has weird rules. You can keep up to 3 players, one is your "franchise" player and can play any position and be any age. The other two have to be going into their 2nd or 3rd seasons (Cam Newtons draft class). If you keep just one player you lose your 2nd round pick, if you keep 2 you lose your 2nd and 12th, and if you keep all 3 you lose your 2nd, 12th and 15th. This league is NOT PPR and its 12 teams.

For my 2nd and 3rd year guys I have:

Doug Martin, Julio Jones, Stevan Ridley and Colin Kaepernick

For my franchise player options I have:

Ray Rice, Dez Bryant

I will obviously be keeping Martin. For my other 2nd/3rd year guy Im leaning towards Ridley but I think both of the other guys arent bad choices. For my franchise player I have no idea who to pick. Rice seems to be the easy choice but I could potentially have Martin and Ridley already at RB and since this league is a non ppr Bryant actually outscored Rice last season. Kaepernick seems like a stretch but as my 3rd keeper Id only lose a 15th round pick and would have a QB locked up and not have to worry about drafting one because based on these keeper rules Id imagine Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning, RG3, Luck, Stafford, Ryan etc will already be gone.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
I remember we had a thread like this last season that a lot of people used. I need some keeper advice. This league has weird rules. You can keep up to 3 players, one is your "franchise" player and can play any position and be any age. The other two have to be going into their 2nd or 3rd seasons (Cam Newtons draft class). If you keep just one player you lose your 2nd round pick, if you keep 2 you lose your 2nd and 12th, and if you keep all 3 you lose your 2nd, 12th and 15th. This league is NOT PPR and its 12 teams.

For my 2nd and 3rd year guys I have:

Doug Martin, Julio Jones, Stevan Ridley and Colin Kaepernick

For my franchise player options I have:

Ray Rice, Dez Bryant

I will obviously be keeping Martin. For my other 2nd/3rd year guy Im leaning towards Ridley but I think both of the other guys arent bad choices. For my franchise player I have no idea who to pick. Rice seems to be the easy choice but I could potentially have Martin and Ridley already at RB and since this league is a non ppr Bryant actually outscored Rice last season. Kaepernick seems like a stretch but as my 3rd keeper Id only lose a 15th round pick and would have a QB locked up and not have to worry about drafting one because based on these keeper rules Id imagine Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning, RG3, Luck, Stafford, Ryan etc will already be gone.

Martin, Ridley kept

Bryant as franchise.

Ray Rice is 28, so I keep the younger player in the franchise selection slot.

Imo its pretty straight foward

Rice, Martin, Kaepernick

QB/RB is going to be thin as hell with that many keepers. You can always grab another QB if the price is right. I think NE rbs are extremely risky and Rice/Martin are both clear starters. Im a big Dez fan, but he also scares me. You can maybe get him with your first even if you are bottom half or a comparable wr. Cant say the same for rbs.

Thanks for the responses. I also want to add in case it was confusing that I could pick three players all from that first list, the guys on the 2nd list are just the only potential guys who have been in the league longer than 3 seasons but the franchise player could be anyone on the roster. Im leaning towards locking in Kaepernick as the 2nd keeper. The only decent qbs that will be in the draft are the Mannings and maybe Romo and I pick 9th out of 12.

I'm having a really tough time deciding on this trade cause I have no clue how to value draft picks. I got offered a 3rd and 7th rounder for my 4th and 5th rounders. So I'd be getting 24 and 64 overall for 32 and 49 overall. I also have 3 keepers...Skittles as a 6th rounder, Tony G as a 10th rounder and James Jones as an 11th.

What do you guys think?

I'm having a really tough time deciding on this trade cause I have no clue how to value draft picks. I got offered a 3rd and 7th rounder for my 4th and 5th rounders. So I'd be getting 24 and 64 overall for 32 and 49 overall. I also have 3 keepers...Skittles as a 6th rounder, Tony G as a 10th rounder and James Jones as an 11th.

What do you guys think?

I have no idea about fantasy football, but a real team would give up 32 and 49 for 24 and 64 every single time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
I would do that trade Row. The difference in value between 24 and 32 is actually a lot bigger than 49 and 64 (or whatever that was).

Ya I ended up accepting it. I'm pretty good at fantasy football but I've always been afraid to trade draft picks cause I have no idea how to value them but with this one, I figured I have 3 pretty good keepers who can be starters so I can basically have my starting lineup(minus kicker and defense) already filled out by pick 29 when my pick comes up in the 3rd round, that's hard to pass up.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
Ya I ended up accepting it. I'm pretty good at fantasy football but I've always been afraid to trade draft picks cause I have no idea how to value them but with this one, I figured I have 3 pretty good keepers who can be starters so I can basically have my starting lineup(minus kicker and defense) already filled out by pick 29 when my pick comes up in the 3rd round, that's hard to pass up.

I get where you are coming from. To get value, pull up rankings you'd use, or use your own sheet, cross off guys that are kept/think will be kept if you don't have everything yet, and it will give you a decent idea of what the actual 29th pick etc will look like. That's how you can truly value draft pick trades. Then you can start to imagine your team in both scenarios, and go from there.

In other words, I can't answer this question well without doing the above exercise for your league.

Who would you start as a 2nd flex...Andre Brown, Fred Jackson, Zach Sudfield, Tyler Eifert, Josh Gordon, or Ryan Broyles? Are one of the backup RBs worth starting over the potential of the other 4?

Also is Sudfield worth hanging onto or should I pick up Heath Miller who's coming off an ACL injury and will miss a few games?

EDIT-Just found out Gordon is suspended the first 2 games, so he's out.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Who would you start as a 2nd flex...Andre Brown, Fred Jackson, Zach Sudfield, Tyler Eifert, Josh Gordon, or Ryan Broyles? Are one of the backup RBs worth starting over the potential of the other 4?

Also is Sudfield worth hanging onto or should I pick up Heath Miller who's coming off an ACL injury and will miss a few games?

Id absolutely hang on to Sudfield. As far as who to start its a little early to decide for week 1 imo.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)

1 - Once he's off suspension, Josh Gordon easily.

2 - Absolutely yes. Sudfeld > Miller even when Miller comes back (which won't be until week 6 or so I'd imagine)

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)

I would go with Eifert or Sudfield.

Well my draft starts tonight and I got the 7th pick this year. I'm sure guys like Rice, Richardson, potentially McCoy, Lynch, Morris will be there as well as Megatron (I'm assuming guys like AP, Foster, Martin, Charles, maybe Spiller might be gone). My next pick is in #4 in the second round in a 10 team draft. My question is should I still use my first pick on a RB like McCoy/Spiller/Richardson then go from there or maybe use some strategy and try to nab Megatron (beef up my WR core with maybe Marshall in the second) and then get a RB in the 3rd round like say.. a MJD/Chris Johnson/Ridley/Murray then maybe Brown in the later rounds?

I'm strongly leaning toward the second one, but I might be over analyzing (I'll kick myself if say.. a Julio Jones was available in the 4th/5th round) but I wouldn't mind some opinions on this.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
Well my draft starts tonight and I got the 7th pick this year. I'm sure guys like Rice, Richardson, potentially McCoy, Lynch, Morris will be there as well as Megatron (I'm assuming guys like AP, Foster, Martin, Charles, maybe Spiller might be gone). My next pick is in #4 in the second round in a 10 team draft. My question is should I still use my first pick on a RB like McCoy/Spiller/Richardson then go from there or maybe use some strategy and try to nab Megatron (beef up my WR core with maybe Marshall in the second) and then get a RB in the 3rd round like say.. a MJD/Chris Johnson/Ridley/Murray then maybe Brown in the later rounds?

I'm strongly leaning toward the second one, but I might be over analyzing (I'll kick myself if say.. a Julio Jones was available in the 4th/5th round) but I wouldn't mind some opinions on this.

I did my first draft last night, it was a 12 team league. Starting RBs came off the board so quickly and there were WRs that are usable in the mid to late rounds but once the RBs are gone there is basically nothing left to get besides guys like the Carolina Rbs, Ingram, the Denver backs and handcuff type guys. Id go RB for sure in the first and then either RB or WR in the 2nd. Make sure you have at least enough RBs to start before it gets too late. There is better depth at QB and TE then there has been the past few seasons also, so unless you want to target one of the top tier guys like Rodgers, Brees etc, you can get guys like Romo, Luck, Stafford, Eli, RG3 a little later. Same goes for TEs. Unless you want Jimmy Graham you can get a solid fantasy TE in the later rounds.

Going back to my original post. After doing a draft it almost seems like I should be keeping Rice even if I dont want to. Basically now I have to decide before midnight tonight. I have to decide between Martin, Dez, Ridley or Martin, Rice, Julio. Any last minute thoughts?