8/22 games

danman31

Interesting that May has his 6th homer, and yet ONLY has 4 doubles. I understand that his time at Kanny is a small sample, but IMHO I didn't think he'd had this much power already. I'm wondering if he'll top out at 10HR or less a year, or if his upside/physical frame can help him hit double digit HRs every year.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 07:50 PM)
Why hasn't there been more talk about this Tony Bucciferro guy? Dude has only walked 6 guys in 79 innings, while striking out 86. That's rather incredible to me.

I know he's old for Kanny(24) but this is only his first full year in the minors.

I think he's still only 23. I have been keeping an eye on him too. Bucciferro, Lopez, and Cose are very interesting pitchers that don't get much talk. If one of them hits and becomes a real impact prospect that would be huge.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 01:33 AM)
Semien - 2-4, 2B, R, RBI.

Jaye - 7 IP, 2H, 3BB, 5K, 0 ER.

Adam Engel singled and stole 2nd and 3rd in the first for GF. Having a great year.

Tim Anderson - 2-4, 2B, K. Nice to see him get a hit that's not a single.

I can't remember the last time he had an error

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 08:25 PM)
I think he's still only 23. I have been keeping an eye on him too. Bucciferro, Lopez, and Cose are very interesting pitchers that don't get much talk. If one of them hits and becomes a real impact prospect that would be huge.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 08:30 PM)
Thaddius Lowry continues to be unimpressive. Still only 18, but discouraging from a 5th round pick.

How do these posts come from the same person? You're defending a 23-year-old in A ball for 'only being 23' and then are 'discouraged' by an 'unimpressive' 18-year-old in rookie ball. Do yourself a favor and pay little to no attention to an 18-year-old's stats.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 08:25 PM)

His fastball only touches 90, but he's got superb control over an array of pitches and a sinking fastball. We'll see if that plays at higher levels, but he's definitely a guy to keep an eye on. Him and Recchia were both NDFA pickups this year I believe, so that is some nice scouting. If one of them turns into something, great. Jacob Sanchez in the same mold.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
How do these posts come from the same person? You're defending a 23-year-old in A ball for 'only being 23' and then are 'discouraged' by an 'unimpressive' 18-year-old in rookie ball. Do yourself a favor and pay little to no attention to an 18-year-old's stats.

So we should pay no mind to Tyler Danish too, or does this rule only apply when the stats are bad?

The beauty of young players is that the expectation is non-success.

If they are unsuccessful, they are simply meeting expectations. If they do well, they are exceeding. It is difficult for an 18 year old to play below expectations.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 09:33 PM)
The beauty of young players is that the expectation is non-success.

If they are unsuccessful, they are simply meeting expectations. If they do well, they are exceeding. It is difficult for an 18 year old to play below expectations.

Yeah, it doesn't matter to me how bad the stats are in the first season during their draft year (personally I include college players too, but certainly for HS draftees). Of course it would be better to get out of the gate running, but it's a non-issue because that first acclimation to pro ball can be such a shock and require quite the adjustment period. Attitude/character would cause me to worry far more than stats.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 08:43 PM)
Tony Bucciferro was a 14th rounder out of MSU last year.

Rechhia was a Windy City Thunderbolt stand out and a NDFA as you said.

Correct on Bucciferro, not sure why I put him in with Recchia and Sanchez there. Sometimes these things cross over in my head.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 08:21 PM)
You are correct. What he is doing currently does not matter.

Maybe someone should tell Tyler that. I'm sorry but that's a real stupid way of thinking. I know that you're alluding to the fact that it's not just about the stats but about development, but you can't just throw the stats out the window either. Tyler Danish's stats say a lot. Just as do Nick Parent's.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
Maybe someone should tell Tyler that. I'm sorry but that's a real stupid way of thinking. I know that you're alluding to the fact that it's not just about the stats but about development, but you can't just throw the stats out the window either. Tyler Danish's stats say a lot. Just as do Nick Parent's.

How much stats say about a minor leaguer isn't a solid thing. First of all, they mean more as you move up levels - what a guy does in AA and AAA can tell you a lot. What a guy does in Rookie ball tells you very little. It also depends a lot on age - both actual age and development age (which are not always the same). And one final piece, which is very difficult to know, is that the numbers can often be skewed (especially in the lower levels) by developmental efforts being made specific to the player. A pitcher may be focusing on a certain pitch or two, a hitter may be trying to hit a certain way.

Add all that up - Tyler being in Rookie ball (until now), being a high schooler, having played in a less advanced high school league, and being a pitcher on limited innings... should all tell you that his numbers mean very little. Not NOTHING mind you, but, not a lot either.

I think one publication had Chris Bassitt as a preseason Top 10 in the org earlier this year, and I think he has to be sniffing Top 10 again, even though our system is much improved.

At 6'5", he has the ideal frame for a major league pitcher, and he supposedly threw around mid 90's as a closer in college. He also just shut down a pretty impressive Tennessee offense. I think he has potential to be the next Andre Rienzo.

Also, Jacob May has shown surprising power so far. I think he's at least a 3-4 tool player.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
I think one publication had Chris Bassitt as a preseason Top 10 in the org earlier this year, and I think he has to be sniffing Top 10 again, even though our system is much improved.

At 6'5", he has the ideal frame for a major league pitcher, and he supposedly threw around mid 90's as a closer in college. He also just shut down a pretty impressive Tennessee offense. I think he has potential to be the next Andre Rienzo.

You may be thinking of Myles Jaye, who was at #9 on BPN when no one else had him T20. I did see one guy, can't remember who, who mentioned Bassitt as a darkhorse to watch this year.

Why does Nick Parent's name come up so often in minor league discussion? The kid is bottom level organizational filler. Who cares what Nick Parent does?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
You may be thinking of Myles Jaye, who was at #9 on BPN when no one else had him T20. I did see one guy, can't remember who, who mentioned Bassitt as a darkhorse to watch this year.

Yes, thanks for the correction.

Bassitt was on the sleeper watch on Fangraphs earlier in the year.

CHICAGO: Chris Bassitt, RHP

How Acquired: 2011 16th round

Predicted 2013 Level: double-A

In a Perfect World: He becomes a No. 3 or 4 starter

What Could Go Wrong: He fails to develop his secondary offerings

Big League ETA: 2014

A big, strong hurler with a fastball that can hit 94-96 mph with heavy sink, Bassitt needs to further develop his secondary pitches if he’s going to stick in the starting rotation. He was a college closer at the University of Akron and didn’t take to starting until the second half of 2012 at the high-A ball level. His 6’5” frame helps him get an outstanding downward plane on his heater, which creates above-average ground-ball rates. That could allow him to develop into a dominating late-game reliever if the starting gig doesn’t work out.

Looks like his projection was a late game reliever, but now it looks like he has a chance crack the rotation. With his quality fastball, I think he has to be a legit prospect.

I would pretty much guarantee the White Sox say something to that effect to all their high school draft picks, especially the pitchers. They are taking these guys from heavy workloads in the spring to by far the toughest level of competition they have seen in their lives. Danish is throwing short outings out of the bullpen. It's a safe bet that he's never been a reliever for a prolonged period in his pitching career. Knowing the pitch limits and (temporary) adjustment to relief they told him that it doesn't matter if you fail or succeed. Just do your thing when you're out there. He's doing that and that's great, but I'm not going to judge a starting pitching prospect on what he does as an 18-year-old out of the bullpen. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.