Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wisconsin is physical in the paint. Purdue hacks on the perimeter. MSU is dirtier than both especially in the paint.

All Big Ten teams are physical compared to other conferences. However I can see how an IU fan would perceive playing defense as being unfair.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
Wisconsin is physical in the paint. Purdue hacks on the perimeter. MSU is dirtier than both especially in the paint.

All Big Ten teams are physical compared to other conferences. However I can see how an IU fan would perceive playing defense as being unfair.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
Come on SB, you know that 14.whatever figure is a joke. Bo Ryan teams get away with murder, especially at home (even though I agree with you they don't really tackle guys like other teams *cough* Purdue *cough*).

The home team advantage in the conference is pretty big no matter who we are talking about. Wisconsin's is probably the most one-sided because of the addition of the stupid ball they use.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
Come on SB, you know that 14.whatever figure is a joke. Bo Ryan teams get away with murder, especially at home (even though I agree with you they don't really tackle guys like other teams *cough* Purdue *cough*).

Those figures actually do matter because all of those teams play home and away games, so the stats should normalize, especially when you can go back through all the years of Bo Ryan basketball with similar results.

The argument though was concerning the actual article. And Wisconsin does not foul that way. If you believe they get away with murder (which they might as they are pretty much taught how to use their lower body to get advantage) its because they dont foul with their hands.

Wisconsin is a physical team, the reason they dont get a lot of fouls called on them is they dont reach and slap, which are the obvious fouls that refs call. Thus if there are more foul calls for hand slapping, the last team it will impact is Wisconsin.

If the rule change was to emphasis lower body contact that would be cause for concern for Wisconsin. Or even the charging rule change.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
A random internet person with one post stated otherwise on a message board! Book it!

It would be pretty epic if he did choose Illinois. Just to make some experts look really bad.

So Alexander a lock to Kansas because of Jerrance Howard and his girlfriend playing for Kansas women's team? Will he be academically eligible? Anybody know?

Where will the Okafor/Jones package wind up? It seems to me if they really are going to go to school together, the only possiblilities are Duke and/or Kansas.

Kentucky has a top PG coming in, meaning no way Tyus Jones goes there. Baylor is Baylor. They don't win these type of package recruiting battles for kids outside of the state of Texas.

I don't see why Okafor would want to go to Duke, being a Chicago kid. I could see why Jones would want to run the show at Duke.

That leaves Kansas. Okafor would be the latest big man to rule at Kansas and Jones would also start from Day One. Since Self is kind of a likeable guy to recruits, and Howard is Mr. Illinois, does Kansas win this package by default? Or do these 2 kids eventually decide against the package deal, like so many recruits do? Package deals rarely come to fruition.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 11:07 PM)
So Alexander a lock to Kansas because of Jerrance Howard and his girlfriend playing for Kansas women's team? Will he be academically eligible? Anybody know?

Where will the Okafor/Jones package wind up? It seems to me if they really are going to go to school together, the only possiblilities are Duke and/or Kansas.

Kentucky has a top PG coming in, meaning no way Tyus Jones goes there. Baylor is Baylor. They don't win these type of package recruiting battles for kids outside of the state of Texas.

I don't see why Okafor would want to go to Duke, being a Chicago kid. I could see why Jones would want to run the show at Duke.

That leaves Kansas. Okafor would be the latest big man to rule at Kansas and Jones would also start from Day One. Since Self is kind of a likeable guy to recruits, and Howard is Mr. Illinois, does Kansas win this package by default? Or do these 2 kids eventually decide against the package deal, like so many recruits do? Package deals rarely come to fruition.

There's been some rumblings from UK insiders that Kansas, with the addition of Jerrance Howard, has become pretty dirty. All rumors at this point, but Self/Howard have really, really picked it up to a UK level of recruiting of late. The number they keep throwing out is 800K to Wiggins' family and their claiming the NCAA is already looking into it.

There's been some rumblings from UK insiders that Kansas, with the addition of Jerrance Howard, has become pretty dirty. All rumors at this point, but Self/Howard have really, really picked it up to a UK level of recruiting of late. The number they keep throwing out is 800K to Wiggins' family and their claiming the NCAA is already looking into it.

Kentucky accusing others of being dirty. Now I've seen everything.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
I think Jones/okafor to Duke. Alexander/turner to Kansas.

My same random internet post I read explained that Jones doesn't want to go to Duke because he's not assured of playing time. And supposedly Kansas has been giving Jones/Okafor the hard sell on going there. Alexander, in turn, is option 2 which is why people think he's more of an Illinois lean.

But no one really knows anything.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)
My same random internet post I read explained that Jones doesn't want to go to Duke because he's not assured of playing time. And supposedly Kansas has been giving Jones/Okafor the hard sell on going there. Alexander, in turn, is option 2 which is why people think he's more of an Illinois lean.

But no one really knows anything.

Sounds like it was from an Illinois "insider."

Jones and Okafor would be option #1 if I was a school that was looking at all of those players, but Alexander/Turner would be a nice second prize.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
Sounds like it was from an Illinois "insider."

Jones and Okafor would be option #1 if I was a school that was looking at all of those players, but Alexander/Turner would be a nice second prize.

More likely it's from some nobody that made it all up to look cool on a message board.

BRAD STEVENS IS ON A PRIVATE PLANE TO CHAMPAIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
More likely it's from some nobody that made it all up to look cool on a message board.

BRAD STEVENS IS ON A PRIVATE PLANE TO CHAMPAIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What they didnt know is that it was a connection to Boston.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 08:27 PM)
Illinois basketball scrimmage tonight. I'm watching online. Ray Rice looks really good as does Jaylon Tate. The rest not so much. EDIT: Egwu too is definitely bigger and better.

Egwu could be playing himself into the NBA if he keeps developing. He's got the body for it. Sounds like he's worked a ton on his offensive game over the summer.

edit: from the highlights, wow is Darius Paul huge.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
Egwu could be playing himself into the NBA if he keeps developing. He's got the body for it. Sounds like he's worked a ton on his offensive game over the summer.

Well he definitely dominated last night. But hard to tell if it was more him or the weak front court.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
In more important news, 10 days until Cliff Alexander visits/commits to Illinois.

I've heard (from a source only a tick more reliable than "random internet person") that Illinois boosters are ponying up for whatever it requires to get him to the 'Paign.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)

I hope we don't lose another guy to the NBA right before he would get really good. Meyers Leonard would have been in a much better position right now had he stayed for senior year. Illinois could have been a Top 10-15 team and he probably would have been the number one pick (in that draft, at least). Not to say Egwu has the ceiling of Leonard, but it will be irritating if another guy departs before he is done developing and can take us to the promised land