9/4 White Sox vs Yankees game thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 02:01 AM)
Worst road team I can ever remember.

0-10 road trip would be fitting.

Team has had the look and feel of a loser most of the season. Hard to believe two teams are worse than the Sox record wise.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
Didn't watch the game. Did Johnson or Webb show anything of note? Anything to get excited about?

Honestly, I wasn't impressed by Johnson. But he also looked really nervous there.

I actually liked Webb out there more. He had some great movement on his slider, and was throwing 97.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
Honestly, I wasn't impressed by Johnson. But he also looked really nervous there.

I actually liked Webb out there more. He had some great movement on his slider, and was throwing 97.

I lovvvved Johnson's stuff...I could care less that he got a bit rattled...hopefully he works out the throws to first, but I loved what I saw out if him tonight.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)

First start in New York, I will give him a pass for tonight and his next start should be alot better.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
Johnson threw 4 different pitches tonight, with them ranking IMO

1- slider

2- fastball

3- curve

4- changeup

It was nice to see someone who's supposed to throw in the low 90s actually hit that mark and not in the high 80s

Regardless of what it is that the Sox do to their minor leaguers to get them to pitch out of their ass and over their heads (Dylan Axelrod putting up a 2.42 ERA over 260 innings between 3 levels), there were great reports of Johnson throughout and his ERA and perhipherals were even better. You're right that it is nice, and hopefully he's better after this.

Looks like a good start to Semien's career.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 04:02 AM)
Regardless of what it is that the Sox do to their minor leaguers to get them to pitch out of their ass and over their heads (Dylan Axelrod putting up a 2.42 ERA over 260 innings between 3 levels), there were great reports of Johnson throughout and his ERA and perhipherals were even better. You're right that it is nice, and hopefully he's better after this.

Looks like a good start to Semien's career.

So great to see a new player go 2-for-4 in his debut.

Johnson threw 4 different pitches tonight, with them ranking IMO

1- slider

2- fastball

3- curve

4- changeup

It was nice to see someone who's supposed to throw in the low 90s actually hit that mark and not in the high 80s

Did he have a cutter also or was that just a hard slider? It was hitting 87-88

Johnson, Webb and Semien all played in their first game. I am not sure how much positive or negative you can take from one game. You need some time to evaluate. I don't want to get down or up over what you see in a debut game or even game two or three.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 09:17 PM)
So great to see a new player go 2-for-4 in his debut.

I could care less whether he went 0-4 or 2-4, considering where we are in the standings.

What IS nice to see is whether these guys look like they actually have what it takes to be a major league player. In terms of Johnson and Webb, I look at their stuff, I look at the hitter's reactions to their stuff, their mound presence, etc. For the hitters, I am looking at how comfortable they appear in the box, how the ball comes off their bat, etc.

Many times we've heard about guys in our system being the real deal, only to have them come up and look like they are literally "out of their league." I didn't get that impression with any of the guys who played their first game last night.

Johnson was certainly a bit shaken up and nervous, but I'll give him a pass given the stage he was on last night. I hope to see him keep it together a bit more in his next start.

That's fantastic to hear. I wasn't able to watch the game but that's always my worry with our pitching prospects. Granted, his numbers were so dominating, I wasn't expecting that but you never know.