9/12 Game Thread

fathom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
We had a chance to hire Francona. Inexcusable omission. He'd have owned Chicago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)
Good point, but I don't want him. It's time for a mean bastard like Piniella or LaRussa.

These 2 posts don't really coincide with each other....Francona is considered one of the nicer coaches in the league.

I don't know why people are hoping for a new manager. We are going to be bad again next year too. I can't imagine we'd be this bad, but I wouldn't be shocked if we never made it over .500 next season. That being said, who cares who is at the helm? Doesn't Robin have a year left anyway? Just let him continue to sink w/ the ship, and get a new manager when we are ready to win again. I don't want to bring in a new manager for a bad team and then see people b**** about how bad the manager is, when it's likely just the product on the field.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 04:43 AM)
And Viciedo drops a fly ball. I'm going to be surprised if he's on the roster next year.

I would agree.

The guy is lousy defensively and just does not show much promise as a big-league hitter. He runs into a pitch now and again and hits it a mile, but so far not really that often.

I guess they could give him one more year but his approach is so lousy, I would not be upset if the Sox dump him on another team. I'd think he could be dealt in a change of scenery trade.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 04:47 AM)
These 2 posts don't really coincide with each other....Francona is considered one of the nicer coaches in the league.

Well, I'm assuming we can't get Francona. So given a choice I'd prefer a guy like Piniella/LaRussa who will get on the players.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 10:44 PM)
This is another of those games where you just wonder how nobody's been fired for these atrocities.

Nice catch, Tank. My gosh a 15-year-old high school player coulda caught that fly ball.

Viciedo in left field looks like the kids in the outfield at the home run derby. Please trade him.

I think if Larussa wanted to manage again, he would have a spot waiting for him on the Angels bench.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 04:51 AM)
Viciedo in left field looks like the kids in the outfield at the home run derby. Please trade him.

I think if Larussa wanted to manage again, he would have a spot waiting for him on the Angels bench.

That is a great line. One of the Chicago writers should borrow it. That truly is Tank out in left field.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 10:48 PM)
I don't know why people are hoping for a new manager. We are going to be bad again next year too. I can't imagine we'd be this bad, but I wouldn't be shocked if we never made it over .500 next season. That being said, who cares who is at the helm? Doesn't Robin have a year left anyway? Just let him continue to sink w/ the ship, and get a new manager when we are ready to win again. I don't want to bring in a new manager for a bad team and then see people b**** about how bad the manager is, when it's likely just the product on the field.

Well if what bucket said about Rick and company not simply punting on the season is true then the Sox think differently. I'm indifferent on bringing in a new coach though, I agree with the last bit of your post, it's the product on the field....Nothing a coach can do.

I know it sounds ridiculous but I agree with Hawk when he said a manager doesn't matter.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
Anyone notice Leury Garcia not start running to first on an lazy pop up? Good to see the veterans and their piss-poor effort has reached the young guys.

Rosenbloom had an article about that, stating that wait till A. Garcia stops being a Tiger and realizes he's a Sox.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 09:55 PM)
Well if what bucket said about Rick and company not simply punting on the season is true then the Sox think differently. I'm indifferent on bringing in a new coach though, I agree with the last bit of your post, it's the product on the field....Nothing a coach can do.

I know it sounds ridiculous but I agree with Hawk when he said a manager doesn't matter.

They need to sharpen the axe and use it on the farm system. They don't teach base running and if they do they are doing it wrong.

So this year the general consensus appears to be managers don't matter at all. OK, I'll remember that one as I follow baseball in the future.

I assume that goes for coaches as well.

So the only thing that matters is the GM, cause he assembles this talent that heads onto the field to play baseball.

So my suggestion to Rick Hahn for next year. ...

Position players for the roster

1B - Must acquire somebody (Paulie a bit too old).

2B - Must acquire somebody (Becks just can't hit; time to move on).

SS - Lexi.

3B - Must acquire somebody (Gillaspie is not a MLB answer for any team; good sub though).

LF - Must acquire somebody (Tank's hitting approach is reprehensible and Caufield/Fathom combo is better defensively).

CF DeAza (I'll give him one more year I guess).

RF - A. Garcia. Our only superstar in the making (if he decides he wants to be one).

C - Must acquire somebody (Phegs is our backup, though).

DH - Must acquire somebody. Dunn is kind of the poster boy for our lousy team, even though he has over 30 homers.

Pitchers

Go with the contingent we have, but go ahead and trade 2 of the starters in our system. Make the team motto, "our starters must go 7" next year, so the combo of Nate and Addison can finish almost all games.

Turn one of our many lefties into a setup guy.

Manager

Ask Robin politely to enter the front office. Open the job up to all candidates and hire somebody that will make our great city proud.

Comments?

I actually wouldn't be against making Danks and Hector our lefty setup guys. It makes some sense when you think about it. I'm sick of trotting guys like Veal/Thornton/Boone Logan, et all, out there. How bout take one of our current arms and make him a reliable lefty reliever??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 12:20 AM)
I actually wouldn't be against making Danks and Hector our lefty setup guys. It makes some sense when you think about it. I'm sick of trotting guys like Veal/Thornton/Boone Logan, et all, out there. How bout take one of our current arms and make him a reliable lefty reliever??

:huh:

No, it doesn't. It makes absolutely zero sense. They're much more valuable as starters, Greg.

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 11:55 PM)

Well to clarify I don't blame Rick Hahn if he wants to get a new manager. It looks really bad if you convey to the fans that you aren't counting on a season before it starts, but as a fan, I just don't give a s*** who the manager is next year because it's going to be very likely be an average team at best. So I'd rather not burn through a new manager when it doesn't matter. It's just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 12:20 AM)

Because a $14M+ setup guy is the worst way you could possibly use Danks, without making him a LOOGY or mop-up.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 11:10 PM)
So this year the general consensus appears to be managers don't matter at all. OK, I'll remember that one as I follow baseball in the future.

I assume that goes for coaches as well.

So the only thing that matters is the GM, cause he assembles this talent that heads onto the field to play baseball.

So my suggestion to Rick Hahn for next year. ...

Position players for the roster

1B - Must acquire somebody (Paulie a bit too old).

2B - Must acquire somebody (Becks just can't hit; time to move on).

SS - Lexi.

3B - Must acquire somebody (Gillaspie is not a MLB answer for any team; good sub though).

LF - Must acquire somebody (Tank's hitting approach is reprehensible and Caufield/Fathom combo is better defensively).

CF DeAza (I'll give him one more year I guess).

RF - A. Garcia. Our only superstar in the making (if he decides he wants to be one).

C - Must acquire somebody (Phegs is our backup, though).

DH - Must acquire somebody. Dunn is kind of the poster boy for our lousy team, even though he has over 30 homers.

Pitchers

Go with the contingent we have, but go ahead and trade 2 of the starters in our system. Make the team motto, "our starters must go 7" next year, so the combo of Nate and Addison can finish almost all games.

Turn one of our many lefties into a setup guy.

Manager

Ask Robin politely to enter the front office. Open the job up to all candidates and hire somebody that will make our great city proud.

Comments?

I don't think it's the consensus here that managers don't matter, I think me and Hawk are the only ones to say this, and I still feel somewhat ridiculous saying it...Certainly makes some sense.

As far as your assessment goes... Dunn stays and I'm fine with Tank staying as well, he's had an OPS near .800 after the break. If they miss out on Abreu at 1B then I'm cool with moving Tank to 1B and bringing in a good club house guy like Pence to liven up the dugout.

I'd love to see 2 FAs 2 players brought in via trade and hopefully Semien steps up and shows what he did in the minors(high obp/decent power) and takes the 2B or 3B spot depending on who they brought in at those positions.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 11:20 PM)

What?