9-17 game thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 09:16 PM)
Is Beckham's defense this year considered below average? He certainly seems to have regressed big time in the field.

I checked the other day and his UZR was about 1.5, so basically just slightly above average.

The stats definitely show him regressing and getting to quite a few fewer balls this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 08:20 PM)
I checked the other day and his UZR was about 1.5, so basically just slightly above average.

The stats definitely show him regressing and getting to quite a few fewer balls this year.

I'm new to all the sabermetric stats. Are UZR and WAR and all of this stuff really indicative of how they're performing in the field. (#TWTW but not really)

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)
I'm new to all the sabermetric stats. Are UZR and WAR and all of this stuff really indicative of how they're performing in the field. (#TWTW but not really)

UZR does a pretty good job of evaluating how a player does in the field, positive UZR means a player is above average fielding, a really good fielder will have a UZR of +10 or more. It varies a lot from year to year with players though so you have to be careful about how you interpret it, but with Beckham UZR agrees with the eye test, he's not getting to as muh as he did 2 years ago.

War tries to rate a players overall impact, taking the position they play, their defense, their hitting, and their baserunning all into account. Again pretty good but you have to decide sometimes how you compare things.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 08:53 PM)
UZR does a pretty good job of evaluating how a player does in the field, positive UZR means a player is above average fielding, a really good fielder will have a UZR of +10 or more. It varies a lot from year to year with players though so you have to be careful about how you interpret it, but with Beckham UZR agrees with the eye test, he's not getting to as muh as he did 2 years ago.

War tries to rate a players overall impact, taking the position they play, their defense, their hitting, and their baserunning all into account. Again pretty good but you have to decide sometimes how you compare things.

Thanks. Sometimes I just prefer the classic fielding percentage.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
Thanks. Sometimes I just prefer the classic fielding percentage.

FP just leave out te biggest thing you want to know. If a guy has terrible range, he won't make many errors because he doesn't get to tough balls. Errors need to be taken into account but I'll take the guy with 2x as many errors if he makes a couple hundred extra plays per year.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 08:47 PM)

UZR is the absolute best way to evaluate player defense - it is predicated on humans reviewing video with objective (ie, not opinion-based) measures. The belief is that UZR is best evaluated with about three seasons worth of data, though. This is of course true for lots of other statistics; we know that batting average and other conventional stats tend to be unreliable over short periods of time, even single seasons can be predicated on luck or random fluctuations.

So, I look at UZR with smaller sample sizes, but always take it with a grain of salt. One season isn't a bad amount of data, but when one season sticks out as different from the player's other years, you should definitely look upon it skeptically. This is especially true because defense isn't nearly as prone to things like slumps as offense, so in most cases a brief change in UZR is nothing to be alarmed about unless there is a clear cause like injury. Some players will have an upward trajectory in the early parts of their careers and many others will steadily get worse defensively.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 09:22 PM)
UZR is the absolute best way to evaluate player defense - it is predicated on humans reviewing video with objective (ie, not opinion-based) measures. The belief is that UZR is best evaluated with about three seasons worth of data, though. This is of course true for lots of other statistics; we know that batting average and other conventional stats tend to be unreliable over short periods of time, even single seasons can be predicated on luck or random fluctuations.

So, I look at UZR with smaller sample sizes, but always take it with a grain of salt. One season isn't a bad amount of data, but when one season sticks out as different from the player's other years, you should definitely look upon it skeptically. This is especially true because defense isn't nearly as prone to things like slumps as offense, so in most cases a brief change in UZR is nothing to be alarmed about unless there is a clear cause like injury. Some players will have an upward trajectory in the early parts of their careers and many others will steadily get worse defensively.

I thought it was opinionated. ESPN is also responsible for some of these new stats, for instance "Total QBR" which is a QB rating out of 100 rather than a PASSER rating up to 158.3. I guess Sabermetrics is doing the same.