9/24 at Indians

flavum

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:16 PM)
Notable 5th picks - Posey, Wieters, Braun, Teixeira, Drew, Vernon Wells, McDowell, Mercker, Gooden, Dale Murphy. Hopefully they win out and get that pick, right?

Seriously, this b****ing about the difference between the 3rd pick and the 4th pick is trivial and f***ing stupid.

Oh joy, we can be happy

Notable 25th picks - Michael Nelson Trout

That's where the Sox need to pick

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:18 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 38s

Jason Giambi is the oldest person ever to hit a walk-off home run at 42 years, 258 days. The previous oldest? Hank Aaron at 42 and 157.

Expand

Sox love to be part of history just the wrong side.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:29 PM)
I know historically the difference between the 3rd and 5th pick is very little, but I still want the Sox to pick before the Cubs next June. We've gone this far, might as well get the highest pick available and see what we can do with it.

It's still going to be a huge upset if they don't. It's been that way for about 2 weeks

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 01:55 AM)
I really wonder if Dunn's going to retire

Four strike outs in four at bats. He seems to do that more than once in a blue moon. How many times has he whiffed at least 3 times in 4 at bats in a game in a Sox jersey? My guess is a ton of games.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 02:06 AM)
He mentioned spring training in the Tribune today. Some may think walking away from $15 million for playing baseball for 6 months is noble if you aren't into it. I think it's dumb. He will be back.

Again, Dick Allen is the voice of reason. No fricking way he turns his nose at $15 million. I think if the Sox offered him 8 million to quit he still wouldn't do that. You can't do that to your family. Have to battle through one more season and bank those checks.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 02:26 AM)
Indians take the lead. Shove it KC

I see the Royals as the little kid who gets picked on all the time. Why root against them? Their fans aren't even that annoying. The only thing that annoys me about their fans is now that they are sort of in the race, they are blaming Yost for everything. They aren't even blaming the Sox for ruining their season. Sox have played .500 vs. KC and lost 13 in a row vs. Cleveland. If they just win six of those games vs. Cleveland, the Royals are in happy heaven.

Why hate KC, though? Their are harmless for the most part. The BBQ here is delicious; the steaks are very good as well and we have some delicious thin crust pizza in these parts.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 02:34 AM)
I can't see how anyone doesn't think he's finished as even an average big league hitter.

He's hitting .250. That's an average big-league hitter IMO. He's probably all beat up and if he can't stay healthy and apparently he can't anymore, he probably ought to retire.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 02:45 AM)
Just speaking for myself, even when Dunn had good streaks, I still hated his overall game. He's a losing player. Period.

I never liked him when he was raking, either, only because I knew it wouldn't last. I like his attitude and personality, though. Despise him as a hitter. He's so bad it's sad.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 03:14 AM)
His stuff isn't good enough to be a closer, IMO

He's blown 8 saves I think, but his main suckage has been of late, hasn't it? I mean he's had a lot of saves for this godawful team. I kind of like the guy in a closer role.

Edited by greg775

Reed has faded at the end of each of his seasons. This makes me wonder if he is simply tiring out. Could be an issue of experience, as this is a much longer and tougher season than what he had in college. His drop-off took a bit longer this year, which is encouraging.

Adam Dunn has 2 golden sombreros this year. Both have come in September. He had 3 last year, and 3 in 2011 too.

I wonder if he doesn't wear down as the year goes on. Finding a strong backup for him so he can actually be a platoon player (which he should be at this point in his career) will also save his health down the stretch and keep him fresher. Last year, on September 21, 22, 25th, and 30th, he had 3 strikeouts each. And, once he wears down, his bat speed slows down a great deal.

I think you can win with Adam Dunn, and I think you can do it with him hitting cleanup. He just can't do so against left handed starters. If he ends up with more than 75 PAs against lefties, he's really playing too much. He's at 140 PAs against LHP now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:57 PM)
Adam Dunn has 2 golden sombreros this year. Both have come in September. He had 3 last year, and 3 in 2011 too.

I wonder if he doesn't wear down as the year goes on. Finding a strong backup for him so he can actually be a platoon player (which he should be at this point in his career) will also save his health down the stretch and keep him fresher. Last year, on September 21, 22, 25th, and 30th, he had 3 strikeouts each. And, once he wears down, his bat speed slows down a great deal.

I think you can win with Adam Dunn, and I think you can do it with him hitting cleanup. He just can't do so against left handed starters. If he ends up with more than 75 PAs against lefties, he's really playing too much. He's at 140 PAs against LHP now.

It's amazing how few teams see the advantages of platooning your hitters. It's one of the main ways Oakland and Tampa compete with their smaller payrolls.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)
It's amazing how few teams see the advantages of platooning your hitters. It's one of the main ways Oakland and Tampa compete with their smaller payrolls.

Because it creates a new set of problems. Most players need to play everyday. Few can only play match ups. This isn't XBox.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)

He's had a bad year, but I think Michael Morse would be a good addition. He has actually had neutral or reverse platoon splits the past couple years, but he hits both pretty well. And, if he's putting up an .800 OPS overall, that's an .800 OPS against LHP when Dunn would be putting up .600 (or worse; or way, way worse)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 03:57 AM)

I do hope his final year in a Sox jersey has him only batting against righties, but we know that's not going to happen. I wonder if the Sox could pay him incentives for hitting to center and left center. Everytime he does so and gets a hit, throw him a $10,000 bone. Let's say he gets 60 hits that way next year, that's a measley 600,000 bucks for all that production!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:49 PM)
I see the Royals as the little kid who gets picked on all the time. Why root against them? Their fans aren't even that annoying. The only thing that annoys me about their fans is now that they are sort of in the race, they are blaming Yost for everything. They aren't even blaming the Sox for ruining their season. Sox have played .500 vs. KC and lost 13 in a row vs. Cleveland. If they just win six of those games vs. Cleveland, the Royals are in happy heaven.

Why hate KC, though? Their are harmless for the most part. The BBQ here is delicious; the steaks are very good as well and we have some delicious thin crust pizza in these parts.

Cause they have spoiled the Sox season multiple times.

We have to hear about their extended run of dominance that is coming anytime now.

The food in KC doesn't matter. Seriously. Why bring that up?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 03:22 AM)
Cause they have spoiled the Sox season multiple times.

We have to hear about their extended run of dominance that is coming anytime now.

The food in KC doesn't matter. Seriously. Why bring that up?

Well I can understand your position if u want to get even for them beating us in the past. The food? I just wanted to point out it's a nice little town.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 09:18 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 38s

Jason Giambi is the oldest person ever to hit a walk-off home run at 42 years, 258 days. The previous oldest? Hank Aaron at 42 and 157.

Expand

It's been over 100 days since Giambi's last walk off HR against us?

EDIT: No, it hasn't it's been 56 days.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/30/j..._n_3676346.html

Edited by Chilihead90