Konerko to address media this afternoon

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
Time to hang it up Paulie. It's been a good run.

Yeah, I'm sure greg will come up with a derogatory name (a la draftnik) for those of us that want Paulie to retire, but the fact is we all love him, we just don't want him to become a zombie. It's been a good run, Paulie -- you're rich, you're a local legend, you got a ring. We'll build you a statue. I'll try to show up Sunday to see you rid eoff into the sunset.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
Unless they signed him to a cheap extension (which I doubt), I assume he's going to retire at this press conference.

Rivera, Helton, Konerko, Pettitte.

I think this fits better. Kotsay was good in his prime but I don't think people will wax poetic about him 10 years from now

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
Unless they signed him to a cheap extension (which I doubt), I assume he's going to retire at this press conference.

If this is the case which I assume it is, it makes me genuinely sad. Sadder still that I can't be there to see his last game. Ahhhh, the memories though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
I never get sentimental about this stuff, I'll always love Paulie for what he did here but I hope he's retiring.

I ALWAYS get sentimental about this stuff. I cry easily. I cry at all weddings even when I haven't known either the bride OR the groom. I'm a real softie. I've cried watching retirement announcements of players I didn't even like.

He's "meeting with the media", it's not an official press conference, which I think would be pretty standard if he was going to announce he was hanging them up. He may hint which way he's leaning, but I don't think anything official comes out today.

Paul Konerko announcing his retirement would be a gigantic story. I don't think it would quietly happen. Not to be dramatic, but it would be one of the biggest White Sox stories the past 30 or 40 years with the WS, Frank leaving and Ozzie leaving.

Edited by Dick Allen

Yea I don't think this is a retirement announcement. Meeting with the media is a usually a quick "q and a" in the locker room before tonights game. If he were retiring it would be an offical press conference. I imagine this "addressing the media" is going to come down to nothing more than saying he's going to wait until the offseason, reevaluate things and go from there. I don't think this is going to be much of anything. I could be wrong though.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
If it were nothing, then why even call it? What gain is there? Why not wait until the season is over in a few days? Something's definitely up. He's either announcing this is his last year with the Sox, or he's flat out retiring.

I have to agree. He takes questions in the lockeroom or dugout almost daily. This was an announced thing, a full day in advance. It is almost assuredly something more than the same stuff we've been hearing.

The proper way to announce a retirement is in March just prior to the regular season, so as to give all the teams on your road schedule ample time to prepare gifts and a video board montage- so maybe he's making an announcement that he's going to make an announcement in Spring Training that he's going to retire.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
The proper way to announce a retirement is in March just prior to the regular season, so as to give all the teams on your road schedule ample time to prepare gifts and a video board montage- so maybe he's making an announcement that he's going to make an announcement in Spring Training that he's going to retire.

:huh:

Outside of Chicago, PK really isn't that much of a big deal. And Paul doesn't strike me as a guy looking for all the attention.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
If it were nothing, then why even call it? What gain is there? Why not wait until the season is over in a few days? Something's definitely up. He's either announcing this is his last year with the Sox, or he's flat out retiring.

Ya, I can't imagine it being anything else. Announce it now so then fans have a few days to give him a proper farewell.

Anyone know if this will be televised? Time?

I heard Cal Ripken interview PK on his radio show within the last couple of weeks.

PK asked Ripken what he should do.

Ripken said don't rush into a decision.Take your time. Wait until after the season has been over for a few days and then make up your mind.

PK said that sounded like a good plan.

I doubt we hear anything substantive today.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
I heard Cal Ripken interview PK on his radio show within the last couple of weeks.

PK asked Ripken what he should do.

Ripken said don't rush into a decision.Take your time. Wait until after the season has been over for a few days and then make up your mind.

PK said that sounded like a good plan.

I doubt we hear anything substantive today.

I'd rather he do it now so the fans can give him a standing O. Have him play 1B, go out there for 9th then have Robin pull him.