2014 Outfield

Jerksticks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get rid of De Aza. He serves no purpose on a team that is 2-3 years away from contention (without any significant upgrades).

Keep Viciedo, he's got a couple years before we NEED to replace him.

I'd give CF to Garcia in hopes he gets better over the offseason and in ST. If we can acquire a better CF, then that's fine too.

I really wouldn't mind having the Tank-ADA-Garcia OF back.

If De Azas back I'd hope he's in the 6th or 7th spot. He's shown some good pop and over his career he's hit .317/.368/.506 w/RISP.

Same thing with Tank, he actually hit .313/.336/.490 w/RISP.

Just gotta get guys on in front of them.

To quote someone else here...."Alejandro DeAza will not be a part of the next White Sox playoff team."

Viciedo's young and his upside is still pretty high...enough that he deserves all of next season.

As far as Garcia goes, he's probably better suited for RF.

Honestly, they need to go out and get a much better version of DeAza, someone who's a real/natural CFer and probably leadoff guy...they could have taken a shot at Michael Bourn, and they probably won't get very far with Ellsbury. FWIW, they're more than Jacoby away from having a productive offense.

They would need at least two more pieces to legitimately be in contention.

Adding Granderson doesn't really seem to be the ideal solution as he's not a leadoff guy anymore, questionable defense/arm and his platoon splits. Local hero/Chicago product angle aside, that's not going to put any butts in the seats if the team is struggling again going into early May.

Choo isn't a natural CFer and will be too expensive to purchase based on his 2013 production.

In 2005, the Tigers finished 28 games behind the White Sox and added Kenny Rogers to their staff. In 2006 they played in the World Series. Turnarounds can be done quickly, especitally when you have good pitchers in place, a couple of potentially good hitters, and a lot of money to burn.

The last time the Sox had a season as bad as this one, or almost as bad was 1976. They had no money to spend, yet 1977 was a fun year with 90 wins.

Last offseason, we really didn't find out much about Rick Hahn. This offseason, it will be exactly the opposite. As bad as this season was, White Sox news-wise this winter should be a lot of fun. Last winter was kind of boring.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
In 2005, the Tigers finished 28 games behind the White Sox and added Kenny Rogers to their staff. In 2006 they played in the World Series. Turnarounds can be done quickly, especitally when you have good pitchers in place, a couple of potentially good hitters, and a lot of money to burn.

The last time the Sox had a season as bad as this one, or almost as bad was 1976. They had no money to spend, yet 1977 was a fun year with 90 wins.

Last offseason, we really didn't find out much about Rick Hahn. This offseason, it will be exactly the opposite. As bad as this season was, White Sox news-wise this winter should be a lot of fun. Last winter was kind of boring.

Ha.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)

While I appreciate your example of the Sox quick turnarounds, I think I have a better, more recent one.

The last time the White Sox had a season about this bad was 2007. They won the division in 2008.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
While I appreciate your example of the Sox quick turnarounds, I think I have a better, more recent one.

The last time the White Sox had a season about this bad was 2007. They won the division in 2008.

The Griffey factor.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
They should all be back. Even if we bring in a guy like Granderson, I expect the rest to stay.

You can't have too much depth, and frankly, having all those guys on the team will give Ventura a lot of creativity in setting his lineup.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 11:23 PM)
Would anybody bet that Tank-De Aza-Garcia is out starting outfield next year? I guess no.

What are the chanes the Sox play Garcia in CF? I guess not likely.

Who's more likely to be out. De Aza or Tank.

If the sox don't add someone to te OF that's exactly the lineup I'd put out there, but I'd also have had Garcia know he was moving to CF a month ago.

In terms of dumping a guy, I don't like losing either for nothing but I don't know how things went behind the scenes. How the staff reacted to de Aza and Viciedo is something we only have glimpses of from Harrelson and Venturas refusal to bench guys. I won't be mad if they are replaced but I will be if they're dumped but we still have a gaping hole at 1b.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
I would like to do sign Abreu and plug him at 1B with an occasional spell by Dunn. Sign or trade for a defensive CF.

Let LF/1B/DH all duke it out with Abreu almost always starting.

RHP

1B Abreu (occasional Dunn spell)

DH Dunn

LF Viciedo/De Aza

LHP

1B Abreu

DH Vicedo

LF De Aza

Huh? If you platoon DeAza, he isn't playing against LHP. Tank needs to be out there agaisnt both LHP and RHP. Prior to this season, he raked LHP and couldn't hit RHP. For some reason, and maybe even encouragingly so, his splits nearly flipped this year.

I think I side with the argument that Garcia's size will prevent him from being a plus CF long term. Therefore we shouldn't even bother sticking him out there. Let's find a plus plus defensive CF to help Avi n Tank/Aza. Danks might really evolve into a plus 4 which is great to have.

Garcia in center is not maximizing run prevention. Seems forced.

The more i think about it, the more i believe that Hahn will bring in Shin Soo Choo. His high OBP is exactly what this team is craving for. He will also come at a cheaper price tag than Elsbury and likely Granderson. His 20 HR/ SB #s won't hurt his value to the team as well. We all know Steve Stone absolutely raves about his abilities as well. I'm sure he will be in Hahn's ear this winter about signing him.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 11:15 PM)
The more i think about it, the more i believe that Hahn will bring in Shin Soo Choo. His high OBP is exactly what this team is craving for. He will also come at a cheaper price tag than Elsbury and likely Granderson. His 20 HR/ SB #s won't hurt his value to the team as well. We all know Steve Stone absolutely raves about his abilities as well. I'm sure he will be in Hahn's ear this winter about signing him.

I'd be stunned if Choo costs less than Granderson. My ballpark guess had Choo getting 2x as much as Granderson. Ellsbury, yeah, he ought to get more than Choo, but not extremely more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
I'd be stunned if Choo costs less than Granderson. My ballpark guess had Choo getting 2x as much as Granderson. Ellsbury, yeah, he ought to get more than Choo, but not extremely more.

Just how expensive will he be? $$ per year? Do you think $12 million per season??

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:19 PM)
Just how expensive will he be? $$ per year? Do you think $12 million per season??

Let's try closer to $18 million. Choo is a terrible fit for the Sox right now. He's a platoon player at this point and he's a poor defender anywhere he plays in the outfield.

Ellsbury is a different story. He's a plus defender, has a well rounded skill set, and is entering his age 30 season. If you gave him 6/$120, he'd probably return surplus value for at least the first 4 years of the contract, and he has the skill set that will age well so it could legitimately be for all 6.

If the Sox are willing and able to spend and get their guys - we'll say Ellsbury (6/$120), Abreu (7/$70), and McCann (4/$60), which is also $45 million added to the payroll, give or take how they set up the contracts - you can look at a lineup of

Ellsbury - CF

Semien - 2B

Abreu - 1B

McCann - C

Dunn - DH

Garcia - RF

De Aza - LF

Ramirez - SS

Gillaspie - 3B

That team at least gives a shot. That's not what I'd do, but it's an option and that team can absolutely be competitive.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:40 PM)
Let's try closer to $18 million. Choo is a terrible fit for the Sox right now. He's a platoon player at this point and he's a poor defender anywhere he plays in the outfield.

Ellsbury is a different story. He's a plus defender, has a well rounded skill set, and is entering his age 30 season. If you gave him 6/$120, he'd probably return surplus value for at least the first 4 years of the contract, and he has the skill set that will age well so it could legitimately be for all 6.

If the Sox are willing and able to spend and get their guys - we'll say Ellsbury (6/$120), Abreu (7/$70), and McCann (4/$60), which is also $45 million added to the payroll, give or take how they set up the contracts - you can look at a lineup of

Ellsbury - CF

Semien - 2B

Abreu - 1B

McCann - C

Dunn - DH

Garcia - RF

De Aza - LF

Ramirez - SS

Gillaspie - 3B

That team at least gives a shot. That's not what I'd do, but it's an option and that team can absolutely be competitive.

And then trade De Aza and a pitcher to San Diego for Arenado or Gyorko or Headley (obviously that would be determined by which pitcher we give up), and I would be very, VERY happy going in to 2014.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:40 PM)

Ellsbury - CF

Semien - 2B

Abreu - 1B

McCann - C

Dunn - DH

Garcia - RF

De Aza - LF

Ramirez - SS

Gillaspie - 3B

I'd be all over that team, though I'd let Conor and Gordon duke it out in Spring Training, with the loser becoming a good utility player.

I'd also resign Floyd and stick him in AAA as insurance. Look to trade one of Santiago or Danks and then go off to the races.

Could a package of Dayan, Danks, and cash net the Sox something? Or would it have to be Viciedo and Santiago?

Edited by Quinarvy