2014 Outfield

Jerksticks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why people are so down on Viciedo. He has alot of upside and, to me, is the kind of guy you want. He's young, going into his 3rd year, and looks like a guy who could breakout like Dominic Brown did in Philly. I'd like to add a CF and keep De Aza as the 4th OF.

How about a trade for Carlos Gomez? I know that's taking a chance that this past year was a "career" year but it may also be that he is hitting his prime and may be coming into his own. Milwaukee could use some pitching.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 05:59 PM)
Arenado is on Colorado. Why would San Diedo want De Aza for either of those players? Gyorko is a young, controllable player.

s***, you're right, I always think he is on the Padres for some reason.

And the Padres could use De Aza in CF over Amarista, who had a terrible year, although he is still young.

The centerpiece of that deal would obvious be whatever pitcher we send over, I just didn't list one because that would depend on who the Sox got back between Gyorko or Headley.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:40 PM)
Let's try closer to $18 million. Choo is a terrible fit for the Sox right now. He's a platoon player at this point and he's a poor defender anywhere he plays in the outfield.

Ellsbury is a different story. He's a plus defender, has a well rounded skill set, and is entering his age 30 season. If you gave him 6/$120, he'd probably return surplus value for at least the first 4 years of the contract, and he has the skill set that will age well so it could legitimately be for all 6.

If the Sox are willing and able to spend and get their guys - we'll say Ellsbury (6/$120), Abreu (7/$70), and McCann (4/$60), which is also $45 million added to the payroll, give or take how they set up the contracts - you can look at a lineup of

Ellsbury - CF

Semien - 2B

Abreu - 1B

McCann - C

Dunn - DH

Garcia - RF

De Aza - LF

Ramirez - SS

Gillaspie - 3B

That team at least gives a shot. That's not what I'd do, but it's an option and that team can absolutely be competitive.

Like you said, not necessarily what you want to see, but it sure would be much more fun to watch.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 12:46 AM)
I don't understand why people are so down on Viciedo. He has alot of upside and, to me, is the kind of guy you want. He's young, going into his 3rd year, and looks like a guy who could breakout like Dominic Brown did in Philly. I'd like to add a CF and keep De Aza as the 4th OF.

I'm down on Viciedo because like many of the Sox prospects, he has started his big league career slowly, some might say poorly. He's 24 years old (allegedly) so nobody's going to be willing to give up on him yet (DeAza will be the guy the Sox dump), but his numbers have been unimpressive. I'm hoping badly it's just a natural progression and he'll get better but I'm not holding my breath.

This year he hit .265 with .304 OBP. He had 98 strikeouts to 24 walks in 473 plate appearances. So he swings at everything pretty much. In 543 plate appearances in 2012 he hit .255 with .300 OBP with 120 strikeouts, 28 walks.

Considering his lack of speed and average to below average fielding, coupled with his annoying habit of swinging at everything, I just don't like him anymore.

He'll get one year or more with our next hitting coach. I hope he develops, but I don't like anything about his approach at the plate right now or the results at the plate. Beckham has had five years to do something, so I'm pretty sure Sox won't give up on the Tank yet.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 09:50 PM)
I'm down on Viciedo because like many of the Sox prospects, he has started his big league career slowly, some might say poorly. He's 24 years old (allegedly) so nobody's going to be willing to give up on him yet (DeAza will be the guy the Sox dump), but his numbers have been unimpressive. I'm hoping badly it's just a natural progression and he'll get better but I'm not holding my breath.

This year he hit .265 with .304 OBP. He had 98 strikeouts to 24 walks in 473 plate appearances. So he swings at everything pretty much. In 543 plate appearances in 2012 he hit .255 with .300 OBP with 120 strikeouts, 28 walks.

Considering his lack of speed and average to below average fielding, coupled with his annoying habit of swinging at everything, I just don't like him anymore.

He'll get one year or more with our next hitting coach. I hope he develops, but I don't like anything about his approach at the plate right now or the results at the plate. Beckham has had five years to do something, so I'm pretty sure Sox won't give up on the Tank yet.

ok this is a fake greg. Somebody hacked him. This post is outstanding.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 09:50 PM)

I appreciate this post. I will point out that he had a .792 OPS in the second half after an incredibly disappointing first half, but you are looking at the numbers. You will find that doing so will legitimize your arguments.

Looking at this.

I think that the outfield probably only needs one player, probably in centre field.

Assuming that we will line up with Avi Garcia in RF and De Aza in LF, with Jordy Danks as the back up outfielder and Tanky moving to either 1B or perma DH.

I would like to see us pick up Choo or Ellesbury for that spot.

Realistically, we will probably end up picking up Nate McLouth for RF and moving Avi to CF.

McLouth would give up an on-base guy who can steal bases which would give us something we have been lacking since Pods.

De Aza would move to the bottom third of the lineup where his speed and production would be suited. A lot of work needed on his baserunning in the off-season though.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 05:46 PM)

How about a trade for Carlos Gomez? I know that's taking a chance that this past year was a "career" year but it may also be that he is hitting his prime and may be coming into his own. Milwaukee could use some pitching.

That's what I've been thinking for a while. I want a true defensive Cf who hits LH . Gomez would be ideal but prying him away from the Brewers would be near impossible but someone like Ben Revere who has no power would fit my bill also.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
I appreciate this post. I will point out that he had a .792 OPS in the second half after an incredibly disappointing first half, but you are looking at the numbers. You will find that doing so will legitimize your arguments.

Thank you sir.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 3, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
Greg uses stats in a post.

We are all overcome with shock and awe.

I think you all underestimate me. I think I am a brilliant person, evidenced by the fact when I gamble and start a thread it usually gets a lot of responses. See my risky Miley Cyrus thread.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
Thank you sir.

I think you all underestimate me. I think I am a brilliant person, evidenced by the fact when I gamble and start a thread it usually gets a lot of responses. See my risky Miley Cyrus thread.

Just stop talkin' in 3rd person and you're all good.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
Thank you sir.

Brilliance: Measured in risky threads/replies ratio.

I'll stick with Malcolm Gladwell, lol.

Well....there are four players on the Rays roster (none of them are superutility guys like Sean Rodriguez or Elliot Johnson) we could definitely take serious looks at.

1) Fernando Rodney on a sign and trade move, especially if we deal Reed...or just because he might not get a contract as a closer the way this season is ending for him

2) Matt Joyce as a 4th outfielder or possibly they could try him at 1B as a cheap alternative to other more expensive firstbasemen on the market....or maybe Viciedo moves to 1B and Joyce is your leftfielder...he ended the season in such a funk he'd be cheaper than Beckham probably

3) Jose Molina as back-up catcher/veteran presence

4) James Loney

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 8, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
I'll stick with Malcolm Gladwell, lol.

Well....there are four players on the Rays roster (none of them are superutility guys like Sean Rodriguez or Elliot Johnson) we could definitely take serious looks at.

1) Fernando Rodney on a sign and trade move, especially if we deal Reed...or just because he might not get a contract as a closer the way this season is ending for him

2) Matt Joyce as a 4th outfielder or possibly they could try him at 1B as a cheap alternative to other more expensive firstbasemen on the market....or maybe Viciedo moves to 1B and Joyce is your leftfielder...he ended the season in such a funk he'd be cheaper than Beckham probably

3) Jose Molina as back-up catcher/veteran presence

4) James Loney

Matt Joyce would be a good 4th outfielder. Also I think Hahn is pretty sharp. In saying that I hope he picks up as many left handed batters as possible. That and more switch hitters. We need guys to get on base, & lefties are a closer to 1b. Sounds simple, but we had 2 lefties all year & one struck out more then he should. Plus the fact that Detroit has all stud RH pitchers, that should be a no brainier. Even if you had 7 LH batters batting .230, should be able to give Detroit some problems.

Loading up on Lefties occurred to me while I watched what Oakland did by taking Detroit 5 games, two reasons good pitching & having tons of Lh batters. 7 GUYS batting lefty against Detroit. That being said, moves like picking up a Matt Joyce, a Luke Scott & continuing to load on pitching should be the sox philosophy. That & getting guys to play multiple positions like the Rays do.

Long story short Tampa Rays-Oakland A's hybrid.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
Matt Joyce would be a good 4th outfielder. Also I think Hahn is pretty sharp. In saying that I hope he picks up as many left handed batters as possible. That and more switch hitters. We need guys to get on base, & lefties are a closer to 1b. Sounds simple, but we had 2 lefties all year & one struck out more then he should. Plus the fact that Detroit has all stud RH pitchers, that should be a no brainier. Even if you had 7 LH batters batting .230, should be able to give Detroit some problems.

Loading up on Lefties occurred to me while I watched what Oakland did by taking Detroit 5 games, two reasons good pitching & having tons of Lh batters. 7 GUYS batting lefty against Detroit. That being said, moves like picking up a Matt Joyce, a Luke Scott & continuing to load on pitching should be the sox philosophy. That & getting guys to play multiple positions like the Rays do.

Long story short Tampa Rays-Oakland A's hybrid.

Cleveland has 4 switch hitters and 6 other leftues. I held them up as a model example how to go about retooling and win within the division We do need lefties badly.

Thank you, gentlemen. For a long time, I have been asserting the importance of having more left handed hitters, especially in our division. The idea was largely dismissed as "unimportant". The response was simply; "It doesn't matter from which side of the plate they hit, as long as they are good hitters". I'm glad some agree that the Sox need a couple of good LH hitters.

It might even be feasible to get a couple of guys who don't have very impressive overall stats, but who really dominate RHP.

If they can be platooned vs the occasional LHP, that would work, and such players might be much more affordable.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 05:47 PM)
Thank you, gentlemen. I have been asserting the importance of having more left handed hitters, especially in our division, for a long time. The idea was largely dismissed as "unimportant". The response was simply; "It doesn't matter from which side of the plate they hit, as long as they are good hitters". I'm glad some agree with the arguments I've been making.

It might even be feasible to get a couple of guys who don't have very impressive overall stats, but who really dominate RHP.

If they can be platooned vs the occasional LHP, that would work, and such players might be much more affordable.

........just as long as his name is not Adam Dunn.