Josh Johnson?

hi8is

You decide...  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or nay

• Yay
    • Nay

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
I think he's a big sleeper for the Sox who could allow us for ability in trades from our position of strength.

Would like to see a one year deal with a team option.

What'da ya think, SoxTalk?

I think he could be a great buy low candidate looking to re-establish value. Let Coop take a crack at him. Could be flipped at the deadline for value if he bounces back and the Sox aren't in it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
If the White Sox add a pitcher it should be a guy on a minor league contract with an invite to spring training and possibly an option for the 2015 season. They should not spend more than that on any pitcher unless they've traded a couple guys beforehand.

Agreed. They have enough good arms to fill the major league rotation.

Among the team's dozen potential free agents are starters Ricky Nolasco and Edinson Volquez, along with bearded reliever Brian Wilson, who revived his career while bolstering the Dodgers' bullpen. Relievers J.P. Howell and Carlos Marmol could leave, too, as well as infielder Juan Uribe, considered a clubhouse favorite by his teammates.

The Dodgers' bench could be facing a makeover, with veterans Jerry Hairston, Nick Punto, Skip Schumaker and Michael Young all eligible for free agency.

Would prefer Volquez on a much lower spec contract than Johnson or Gavin Floyd.

JP Howell would be a decent option for LH reliever, but he'll probably be at a price more than they're willing to spend (unless they add 2-3 more pieces and feel they're close to contention again, that move of overspending on the bullpen doesn't make any sense...)

Marmol would be another option if we don't keep Lindstrom...

Edited by caulfield12

I would be all over Johnson if possible in the $6-$9M range on a one year deal. Can never have too much good starting pitching. That said, I second the other opinions that we have other more important needs. C and 3B should be priority number 1 and 2 for now.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
If the Sox decide to spend cash on a right handed veteran starter, the guy I want is Ervin Santana. I have been a fan of his for a long time and he can be a good #2/3 guy to put between the many lefties that we have.

They are buying high on a starting pitcher for sure. Why would they?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
They aren't going to spend big money on a starting pitcher project. They might bring in some reclaimations, but that will be about it. I still fully expect a minor league deal/option year type contract to get worked out with Gavin Floyd.

See, I disagree with you here. I think if Hahn is seriously considering trading one of young SPs for a young bat, he'll definitely look at a guy like Johnson on a short-term deal. We have tons of cash right now and very little to spend it on that won't cost us a draft pick. Signing a project SP where the only downside is losing some money is exactly the type of low-risk, high-reward moves we should be considering. Plus I think our pitching depth is incredibly overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love our current 1-5 and think Rienzo is a great insurance policy as our #6 starter, but take out Quintana or Santiago and the complexion of the rotation suddenly changes and that depth is basically gone IMO. However, I think you can mitigate that by adding a guy like Johnson to the mix. Look at what happened to us this past year, you simply can't have enough pitching depth.

Now, if Hahn wants to hold on to both Quintana & Santiago then it's a totally different story. But we shouldn't be afraid to spend at a position of strength if an opportunity presents itself there. Hahn will have to be creative to get this team competitive again and this may be the type of move to help get us there.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
See, I disagree with you here. I think if Hahn is seriously considering trading one of young SPs for a young bat, he'll definitely look at a guy like Johnson on a short-term deal. We have tons of cash right now and very little to spend it on that won't cost us a draft pick. Signing a project SP where the only downside is losing some money is exactly the type of low-risk, high-reward moves we should be considering. Plus I think our pitching depth is incredibly overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love our current 1-5 and think Rienzo is a great insurance policy as our #6 starter, but take out Quintana or Santiago and the complexion of the rotation suddenly changes and that depth is basically gone IMO. However, I think you can mitigate that by adding a guy like Johnson to the mix. Look at what happened to us this past year, you simply can't have enough pitching depth.

Now, if Hahn wants to hold on to both Quintana & Santiago then it's a totally different story. But we shouldn't be afraid to spend at a position of strength if an opportunity presents itself there. Hahn will have to be creative to get this team competitive again and this may be the type of move to help get us there.

The onus to trade a starting pitcher dissipated a ton with the signing of Abreu. Unless the right deal comes up involving the right catcher or 3B, we aren't dealing young starting pitching anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
The onus to trade a starting pitcher dissipated a ton with the signing of Abreu. Unless the right deal comes up involving the right catcher or 3B, we aren't dealing young starting pitching anymore.

Huh? Why has it dissipated? This team still has plenty of holes and a surplus of pitching. I fully expect a starter to be dealt.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)

Wonderfully said. Johnson makes a ton of sense. Certainly a risk, but as you said, the exact type of risk a team in the SOX position should pursue - that is if competing next year is a priority to the FO. There are many here who would say it isn't, and shouldn't be. Not that I necessarily disagree, but I'd always prefer to watch a winner.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 06:02 PM)
Wonderfully said. Johnson makes a ton of sense. Certainly a risk, but as you said, the exact type of risk a team in the SOX position should pursue - that is if competing next year is a priority to the FO. There are many here who would say it isn't, and shouldn't be. Not that I necessarily disagree, but I'd always prefer to watch a winner.

Hell, even if they're not competing by the deadline and someone like Johnson has built value on a one year deal... Hello rebuilding/retooling/reshuffling/restocking/reupping trade at the deadline.

How's that for retooling vs rebuilding?

:P

I am one of those fans that are pushing for a rebuild of the organization, but I am all for the White Sox signing Johnson to a one year deal, only because if he performs well Rick Hahn can deal him to a contending team at the deadline and get some good prospects in return. My only reservation is that the Sox would loose a draft for signing him, and to me he is not worth it.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
Huh? Why has it dissipated? This team still has plenty of holes and a surplus of pitching. I fully expect a starter to be dealt.

Unless they get a franchise 3B, I don't see them dealing starting pitching. It was a bit different before we signed Abreu, but I am sure the Sox feel they have their clean up and 1B for the next six years now. It solidifies the line up a lot.