Jim Leyland stepping down

Kyyle23

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
IMO he did not do a very good job of managing the last few years. They had the most talented team in the division so they did win, but he wasn't much help.

It is a really poorly put together playoff team though. You aren't going to win in October with the sort of bullpens and defense that they have had. They will be an interesting team to watch this off-season. Do they double-down again to try to win that World Series? Do they break with the spending and make some radical changes to try to rebalance the team? Do they try to come back most in-tact from this season?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
It is a really poorly put together playoff team though. You aren't going to win in October with the sort of bullpens and defense that they have had. They will be an interesting team to watch this off-season. Do they double-down again to try to win that World Series? Do they break with the spending and make some radical changes to try to rebalance the team? Do they try to come back most in-tact from this season?

They are nearing a really ugly situation. They have Fielder, Sanchez, and Verlander locked up to monstrosities for the foreseeable future, they almost certainly have to resign Miggy, plus they Scherzer, Fister, Jackson, and any of their actual good relievers coming up as free agents soon, and even if they can spend a lot of money, they aren't going to be able to fill all of their holes through free agency soon enough.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
They are nearing a really ugly situation. They have Fielder, Sanchez, and Verlander locked up to monstrosities for the foreseeable future, they almost certainly have to resign Miggy, plus they Scherzer, Fister, Jackson, and any of their actual good relievers coming up as free agents soon, and even if they can spend a lot of money, they aren't going to be able to fill all of their holes through free agency soon enough.

With all of their spending, Detroit has as many WS titles since 2006 as the Cubs or Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)

Yeah, that is why they will be an interesting team to watch. They are about to get really old and really expensive, really quick. At some point they either have to spend a ton more money to stay where they are or advance, or blow it up and start over.

I was wondering to myself about Leyland's future with the Tigers if they fell short yet again. Guess I didn't have to wait long. He seemed to me to be quite the character, despite that whole managing within the Sox division tidbit.

n2xuso.jpg

Hope he sticks around baseball in some capacity. He would probably be pure gold in a TV studio or some team's booth.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 11:55 PM)
I have some Tiger fan friends that are ecstatic over this! Said they wish it was about 2 years earlier...

They are crazy is what they are. It's why sports figures deserve the big bucks they get. The only way to shut everybody up is to win. Sounds simple, but it is true.

The Tigers completely have been dominating the division, but they haven't been able to take it all, so eventually the fans tire of the guy.

He's a great manager. I wonder how old he is. Would love for the Sox to get him after next season when Robin is done.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 05:55 PM)
I have some Tiger fan friends that are ecstatic over this! Said they wish it was about 2 years earlier...

Leyland is a good manager they will be hard pressed to find a better one.

Edited by Soxfest