2 Realistic trade options I came up with

TheFutureIsNear

Trade 1: White Sox trade Gordon Beckham, Hector Santiago, and Chris Beck to Dodgers for Andre Eithier.

Why it makes sense to me:

- Its no secret that LA has 1 too many OF'ers and Eithier seems to be the odd man out.

- Beckham can play either 2b or 3b and both are positions of weakness for the Dodgers. Uribe, Schumaker, and Mark Ellis saw a lot of PT for them

- Although hes been a bit of disappointment for us, Beckham is a good buy low option for a team like LA.

- Santiago is a young, cost controlled SP who should excel in the NL west. Presents a very cheap #4 starter for the next 3-5 years.

- Beck is a decent arm that could be a 5h/middle reliever in the near future.

- Don't think I need to explain why Either is a good fit for us.

Trade 2: Alexei Ramirez for David Freese

-No need for me to ramble here. They need a SS and we need a 3B. Freese's down yeaer of .260/.340 is sadly a huge upgrade for us at 3b but he should be much better next year, especially at The Cell.

Let me know what you guys think....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
Trade 1: White Sox trade Gordon Beckham, Hector Santiago, and Chris Beck to Dodgers for Andre Eithier.

- Its no secret that LA has 1 too many OF'ers and Eithier seems to be the odd man out.

- Beckham can play either 2b or 3b and both are positions of weakness for the Dodgers. Uribe, Schumaker, and Mark Ellis saw a lot of PT for them

- Although hes been a bit of disappointment for us, Beckham is a good buy low option for a team like LA.

- Santiago is a young, cost controlled SP who should excel in the NL west. Presents a very cheap #4 starter for the next 3-5 years.

-No need for me to ramble here. They need a SS and we need a 3B. Freese's down yeaer of .260/.340 is sadly a huge upgrade for us at 3b but he should be much better next year, especially at The Cell.

Deal 1 is horrid.

Deal 2 No.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 12:01 AM)

You are giving up too much in that first deal. i'd take Ethier for Beckham straight up. Or for Hector straight up. I'm much higher on Q than Santiago.

Freese isn't a good player. Good idea on that one, though. I'd trade Lexi for a good hitting third baseman.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)

Welcome to Sox talk ! You can't talk about Ethier without talking about his contract and who picks up how much of it . We're not in a position to give away youth for a high contract .

The other trade then who plays SS for the Sox ? And beleive it or not but Gillaspie was better than Freese last year and is younger and one of our few LH bats. Freese turns 31 in April.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:03 PM)
Those are both god awful deals.

Dodgers would be lucky if we just ate Ethier's entire contract.

Alexei is leaps and bounds better than Freese.

Freese for Alexei would be terrible. Freese had a bad year and a worse World Series. You don't trade to fill a hole and create another. Freese may be better than what we have for 3rd but then you would have to give up an asset to get another shortstop.

How are Eithier and Freese not good players?

Eithier is going to hit .280+/.350+ with 15-20 hr's and play a very solid LF. Not saying he's great or anything, but how is he bad? And how would he not represent a HUGE upgrade to our OF?

Ramirez is bad by the way. Very good glove, but he can't get on base and has lost almost all of his power at this point. What use does he have offensively at this point? Less than 10 hr's and a OBP barely above .300 is pretty horrible. Freese presents a huge upgrade to our lineup.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
Welcome to Sox talk ! You can't talk about Ethier without talking about his contract and who picks up how much of it . We're not in a position to give away youth for a high contract .

The other trade then who plays SS for the Sox ? And beleive it or not but Gillaspie was better than Freese last year and is younger and one of our few LH bats. Freese turns 31 in April.

Gillaspe was only better than Freese if you think HR's are the only stat that matters. Because he literally didn't do anything else better. And you're also factoring in Freese's career worst year.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)

Eithier is going to hit .280+/.350+ with 15-20 hr's and play a very solid LF. Not saying he's great or anything, but how is he bad? And how would he not represent a HUGE upgrade to our OF?

Ramirez is bad by the way. Very good glove, but he can't get on base and has lost almost all of his power at this point. What use does he have offensively at this point? Less than 10 hr's and a OBP barely above .300 is pretty horrible. Freese presents a huge upgrade to our lineup.

Welcome to Soxtalk!

Who would you have playing SS for the Sox? I wouldn't mind Freese. Eithier on the otherhand is too expensive. They would have to pay a lot of his salary.

I'm not ready to give up on Tank in favor of Ethier. I suppose if a good trade came along for him(Dayan) I wouldn't mind him(Ethier) on the team so long as the Dodgers pick up a good deal of his contract. Not sure I'd give them Santiago though, and I'm iffy on Beck as well.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
Gillaspe was only better than Freese if you think HR's are the only stat that matters. Because he literally didn't do anything else better. And you're also factoring in Freese's career worst year.

Gillaspie's WAR was better. His defense is better. not even close . His SLG % was better. He hit's righties better in a division full of RH starting pitching .He's 4 years younger with more upside than a 31 yr old coming off his worst season. And you are still not talking about Ethier's contract. He makes $17 M a year for the next 4 years ! That's the same as what the Sox just signed Abreu for but in 4 years as compared to 6 for Abreu and Abreu is 5/6 yrs younger. Ethier will be 32 in April . If everyone elses reaction to these "realistic" trades doesn't tell you something , I'll give up.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)

Ramirez is bad? 39 doubles and 30 sb's from a pretty elite fielder. Yeah, he sucks.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 05:29 AM)
What is this infatuation with Andre Ethier? Hey look, a 32-year old platoon player who is still owed $70+ million!!! Where do I sign up?

Because he's a "name" player, just like Curtis Granderson.

Now whether he's too expensive, too vulnerable to LH pitching and can't play CF regularly, well....those issues are not so important.

That said, I would still trade him for Danks if the Dodgers sent us $20 million along with the deal (which they wouldn't do).

The Dodgers also know they have 4 outfielders but that Kemp and Crawford struggled to stay healthy last year...so they're not exactly compelled to deal Ethier, Kemp or Josh Beckett, etc.

Not unless they get the exact return they desire.