Tigers Name Brad Ausmus New Manager

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
Here's hoping that in 2 years the Tigers look exactly as sloppy as the 2013 White Sox.

The Tigers have been a sloppy team for a long time, they are just able to hit and pitch over their errors

It would be interesting to see if there's any correlation at all between intellect/IQ/EQ of the managers and GM's of the respective MLB teams and their respective records.

We went/are going through the Ricciardi/DePodesta/Epstein/Daniels/Luhnow/Andrew Friedman "anti-traditional scouting/saber/Ivy League/MBA" time period...to see how long it takes to bounce back again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
It would be interesting to see if there's any correlation at all between intellect/IQ/EQ of the managers and GM's of the respective MLB teams and their respective records.

We went/are going through the Ricciardi/DePodesta/Epstein/Daniels/Luhnow/Andrew Friedman "anti-traditional scouting/saber/Ivy League/MBA" time period...to see how long it takes to bounce back again.

Somehow I doubt that those thigs have anything to do with "intelligence".

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 07:43 PM)
The Epstein way was simply a smarter way of having more money than everyone else and spending it

Whoever brought David Ortiz in from the Twins deserves half of the credit.

The other half for drafting/developing Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester, Buchholz, Dubront, Middlebrooks (although the jury's still out), etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 06:56 AM)
Whoever brought David Ortiz in from the Twins deserves half of the credit.

The other half for drafting/developing Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester, Buchholz, Dubront, Middlebrooks (although the jury's still out), etc.

And whoever pumped Ortiz full of PEDs deserves the other half of credit.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
i am sure it takes a lot of intellect/IQ/EQ to send Ortiz and Manny to PED providers that wont get caught. Manny left the Red Sox and it all fell apart

Well, surely that's the main reason they hired Terry Bevington and Ozzie Guillen.

So why are we to believe Hahn's better qualified to be a GM because he went to Northwestern and Harvard Law? If I remember correctly, Jon Daniels went to Cornell. Epstein went to Yale. Jeff Luhnow went to Penn and then Kellogg for MBA. Chris Antonetti went to Georgetown/UMass-Amherst. DePodesta went to Harvard. Kim Ng, University of Chicago. AJ Hinch, Stanford. KW, Stanford. Cherington/Amherst. Hoyer/Wesleyan. Michael Hill (Marlins) Harvard. Beane would have gone to Stanford. Josh Byrnes/Haverford. Anthopolous (McMaster/Canada-ECON).

JP Ricciardi from St. Leo University is an outlier. Or this guy, the front office member with the most interesting background in all of baseball, not to mention the fact that he's Indian-American.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sig_Mejdal

J. Mozeliak, Univ of Arizona/Univ. of Colorado, Jack Z. (Austin Peay), Andrew Friedman (Tulane)

Wouldn't 50-75% of the GM's be coming from "non-elite" or state university Sports Management programs?

Back when I was going to graduate school, Ohio University, UMass, Ohio State and Georgia Southern University (where I went) were all among the top five graduate programs.

Whether it's presidents or MLB GM's, people have an expectation that leaders should have attended elite educational institutions and possess higher IQ's/SAT scores, what have you.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
Well, surely that's the main reason they hired Terry Bevington and Ozzie Guillen.

So why are we to believe Hahn's better qualified to be a GM because he went to Northwestern and Harvard Law? If I remember correctly, Jon Daniels went to Cornell. Epstein went to Yale. Jeff Luhnow went to Penn and then Kellogg for MBA. Chris Antonetti went to Georgetown/UMass-Amherst. DePodesta went to Harvard. Kim Ng, University of Chicago. AJ Hinch, Stanford. KW, Stanford. Cherington/Amherst. Hoyer/Wesleyan. Michael Hill (Marlins) Harvard. Beane would have gone to Stanford. Josh Byrnes/Haverford. Anthopolous (McMaster/Canada-ECON).

JP Ricciardi from St. Leo University is an outlier. Or this guy, the front office member with the most interesting background in all of baseball, not to mention the fact that he's Indian-American.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sig_Mejdal

J. Mozeliak, Univ of Arizona/Univ. of Colorado, Jack Z. (Austin Peay), Andrew Friedman (Tulane)

Wouldn't 50-75% of the GM's be coming from "non-elite" or state university Sports Management programs?

Back when I was going to graduate school, Ohio University, UMass, Ohio State and Georgia Southern University (where I went) were all among the top five graduate programs.

Whether it's presidents or MLB GM's, people have an expectation that leaders should have attended elite educational institutions and possess higher IQ's/SAT scores, what have you.

KW went to Stanford for 1 year. You mentioned Beane "would have" gone to Stanford. He didn't. This is baseball,not something that you can learn in a classroom at a University. I just think that some of these guys are from more highly thought of schools is just coincidence at this point. I don't really think there is anything at Cornell or Harvard or Yale or Stanford that actually better prepares you for a MLB GM job. The guys with the advanced degrees seem to have the same problems the GMs who barely made it out of HS have.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
KW went to Stanford for 1 year. You mentioned Beane "would have" gone to Stanford. He didn't. This is baseball,not something that you can learn in a classroom at a University. I just think that some of these guys are from more highly thought of schools is just coincidence at this point. I don't really think there is anything at Cornell or Harvard or Yale or Stanford that actually better prepares you for a MLB GM job. The guys with the advanced degrees seem to have the same problems the GMs who barely made it out of HS have.

You have to be at the right place at the right time.

If you speak Spanish, that's very helpful. I should have gone to Venezuela or the Dominican and worked with the winter league teams, but if you work for a minor league team, offseason is all sales work.

If I had things to do all over again, I would have accepted an internship from the Red Sox paying I think it was $300-500, but I instead took a job working for a minor league team because I thought it would give me a broader array of experience, I could do sales/marketing right away and earn more money (at least $1000-12000 per month, plus they gave me a free apartment).

I also had a job with the Cardinals but I blew it by joking around with the interviewer about what I would do if I had free tickets....the answer, even in jest, wasn't selling them.

But, oh well. If you're not a former professional baseball player and you haven't gone to an elite school, the odds are stacked against you.

Twenty years ago, everyone was following the new/emerging sports management trend. Right now, I'm sure almost none of the GM's have degrees in anything but Econ, Math/Quant Analysis, MBA/Law School, etc. Very very few liberal arts majors, I think one or two English or Communications majors. Daniels was in marketing/MBA/advertising if I remember correctly.

I made the second big mistake of meeting the wrong NFL football player and placing my trust in working for him and organizing a charity for him. I wasn't at all surprised a decade later when he was convicted for real estate fraud ($11 million total) and ended up in Federal prison in Miami. Made me think of him last week when I saw a similar story about Irving Fryar.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
You have to be at the right place at the right time.

If you speak Spanish, that's very helpful. I should have gone to Venezuela or the Dominican and worked with the winter league teams, but if you work for a minor league team, offseason is all sales work.

If I had things to do all over again, I would have accepted an internship from the Red Sox paying I think it was $300-500, but I instead took a job working for a minor league team because I thought it would give me a broader array of experience, I could do sales/marketing right away and earn more money (at least $1000-12000 per month, plus they gave me a free apartment).

I also had a job with the Cardinals but I blew it by joking around with the interviewer about what I would do if I had free tickets....the answer, even in jest, wasn't selling them.

But, oh well. If you're not a former professional baseball player and you haven't gone to an elite school, the odds are stacked against you.

Twenty years ago, everyone was following the new/emerging sports management trend. Right now, I'm sure almost none of the GM's have degrees in anything but Econ, Math/Quant Analysis, MBA/Law School, etc. Very very few liberal arts majors, I think one or two English or Communications majors. Daniels was in marketing/MBA/advertising if I remember correctly.

I made the second big mistake of meeting the wrong NFL football player and placing my trust in working for him and organizing a charity for him. I wasn't at all surprised a decade later when he was convicted for real estate fraud ($11 million total) and ended up in Federal prison in Miami. Made me think of him last week when I saw a similar story about Irving Fryar.

I think the number one skill required is to be able to think analytically at a high level. It doesn't matter what you majored in or graduated with an advance degree in per se, but those subjects which encouraged and developed your ability to analyze complex subject matter were probably more helpful.

Mozeliak happened to be in the right place at the right time; he went fly-fishing with Bryn Smith, ended up getting a job with the Rockies, but then happened to have a father who worked for IBM that helped him provide some defensive data for the Club. This got the attention of Walt Jocketty, who then brought Mozeliak with him later to the Cardinals, and then when Jocketty left to go to Cinci, Mozeliak became the GM of the Cardinals.

There are a number of different paths one can take, but sure a key factor is being in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the opportunity, as you mentioned.