What do you want done with this team?

TheFutureIsNear

What do you want done with this team?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want done with this team?

• Sign big name free agents and go for it. The team isn't far away.
    • Keep trading vets to get younger. Use this year as a rebuilding year
    • Stand pat and only make a couple minor moves. They have a chance as is

I'm not sure you can just say one of those or another. I know I talk about signing Ellsbury a lot but I'd like to see what Hahn can do in trades 1st or with improvements through the mid-tier free agents. How much he can make some interesting trades can determine if it's worth it to go after bigger names.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I could go either way. As a fan, I'd always love to see them try to compete the following year. Watching 99 loss seasons is tiring. Go out and sign Ellsbury, trade for Jason Castro, add Josh Johnson and a solid veteran in the pen and I am set. That team still needs a whole lot to go right to be playing baseball in October, but at least it has a chance. For this team, as currently constructed, literally absolutely everything has to go right - that is not going to happen. But nor is signing Ellsbury.

This year makes a lot of sense to just sit back and see what we have, continue to trade the aging assets you have, with the plan to compete in 2015 and beyond. Let the Dunn contract expire, let Abreu and Avi have year to get their feet under them, and spend some $$ in 2015. I don't love that plan, but respect that it is probably the most wise. I just hate wasting another year of Sale.

I went with the first option but I kinda doubt it happens because I don't think they'll wanna give up the draft picks.

Like I've spewed out there in another thread the Sox lost more than half(55) of their games by 2 runs or less so I don't think it's unrealistic to think that if they upgrade 3-4 guys that the Sox can win half of those games.

But of course, like Cali said, they wouldn't make all those upgrades in just FA, so it's really a mix of the 2.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
There are numerous ways the Sox can go about this rebuilding and that's a big point in their favor. I think we'll find out which way they are going by what they do with Quintana and/or Santiago.

By the way , I didn't vote because none of those choices reflects an accurate way to describe what I think will be done. I don't even think Hahn knows how things will or will not fall into place. I know he'd prefer to get more guys like Avi Garcia 1st and foremost and he isn't completely ruling out free agency. His first major trade will dictate subsequent moves.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
There are numerous ways the Sox can go about this rebuilding and that's a big point in their favor. I think we'll find out which way they are going by what they do with Quintana and/or Santiago.

1) Trade Santiago/Quintana/Johnson/Rienzo (depending on how Hahn and Cooper feel about the chances for the latter two)

2) Trade Ramirez (if they can get a useful piece back)

3) Trade DeAza (if they can get a useful piece back)

4) Trade Addison Reed (if they can get a useful piece back)

5) Trade Beckham or Dunn (if they can get a useful piece back at midseason)

Plus, there's always the possibility they sign Josh Johnson, Dan Haren, Phil Hughes or Edinson Volquez to a one year contract and flip them at the ASB.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
I could go either way. As a fan, I'd always love to see them try to compete the following year. Watching 99 loss seasons is tiring. Go out and sign Ellsbury, trade for Jason Castro, add Josh Johnson and a solid veteran in the pen and I am set. That team still needs a whole lot to go right to be playing baseball in October, but at least it has a chance. For this team, as currently constructed, literally absolutely everything has to go right - that is not going to happen. But nor is signing Ellsbury.

This year makes a lot of sense to just sit back and see what we have, continue to trade the aging assets you have, with the plan to compete in 2015 and beyond. Let the Dunn contract expire, let Abreu and Avi have year to get their feet under them, and spend some $ in 2015. I don't love that plan, but respect that it is probably the most wise. I just hate wasting another year of Sale.

That's a pretty good take. I agree completely with your last sentence on Sale.

1) Explore trade possibilities. If Hahn can continue to add depth to the farm system by trading veterans then that should be the plan. If Hahn is comfortable with the young pitching depth, then perhaps he can deal some of that in attempt to acquire a true 3b.

2) Fill in the gaps on the MLB roster by signing mid level free agents such as Young for CF, Salty for C and one of the right handed starters available to fill up a rotation spot. The buy low/ sell high approach may be best if their long term plan is to compete for a division crown in 2015.

I'm 50-50 on my stance for 2014. A part of me wants them to break the bank on a guy like Choo or Ellsbury and another part of me wants them to play if safe, obtain their #3 draft pick in June and play the 'see what we have approach' until they go for it all in 2015. I mean, if they stumble once again in 2014, would it be the end of the world for this organization to obtain yet another top 5 pick in consecutive seasons? I hate losing more then the next guy, but unless Hahn can be super creative in trades, I'd say let's wait until 2015 before we break the bank...

I voted for option 3. I don't want to lose a draft pick by signing a top free agent, and I don't see any veterans on our roster who would fetch much in terms of prospects. I would be open to trading one of our starting pitchers for help at the major league level, but I'd mostly like to see some small moves to fill in gaps.

Explore trades, look at the middle tier free agents. It isn't like the Sox got ridiculously old overnight. If Abreu can give you 2012Paulie production, and Garcia, Viciedo and Beckham hit, ther is no reason to think they can't get back to middle of the pack in runs scored. They were 4th in 2012. I also think their defense will be better just by the law of averages. They do need a couple of players. One thing is for sure, this is going to be a much more fun winter for Sox fans than the past couple.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
One thing is for sure, this is going to be a much more fun winter for Sox fans than the past couple.

That makes me come up with this one.

Ricky did the #1 thing I wanted him to do already with Abreu.

Now I want him to....surprise me. Come up with something I'm not expecting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)

One guy I would really like them to look at, and it opens the door for a couple of trades, is Franklin Gutierrez. He has been banged up for a few years and was at one time one of the best defensive players in baseball, and he has a lot of power. I think he could be a poor man's Jermaine Dye type of signing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
One guy I would really like them to look at, and it opens the door for a couple of trades, is Franklin Gutierrez. He has been banged up for a few years and was at one time one of the best defensive players in baseball, and he has a lot of power. I think he could be a poor man's Jermaine Dye type of signing.

If something was done productively with De Aza I'd be game, but I keep stressing, De Aza is a solid player and shouldn't be given up for nothing.

I don't see how spending money on Gutierrez is an obviously better option than Jordan Danks as the backup OF unless someone is moved beforehand. They're both basically backups right now - Gutierrez has played 92, 40, and 41 games the last 3 seasons, and even in his good years you're downgrading OBP from De Aza by quite a bit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
If something was done productively with De Aza I'd be game, but I keep stressing, De Aza is a solid player and shouldn't be given up for nothing.

I don't see how spending money on Gutierrez is an obviously better option than Jordan Danks as the backup OF unless someone is moved beforehand. They're both basically backups right now - Gutierrez has played 92, 40, and 41 games the last 3 seasons, and even in his good years you're downgrading OBP from De Aza by quite a bit.

I'd also ask this...what's the long term plan with him? If Gutierrez is great for us for a few weeks, what happens to him? Isn't the best result basically he's traded for a minimal return? Even a solid season from him they'd be unlikely to offer him a Q.O. for $14 million for the next year...he's not going to be traded for an all-world return given his injury history even if he is being successful, and a long-term extension for him would be very risky even if he was having success.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)

Yes! I think a nice surprise can really rejuvenate this fan base.

I'm more for the idea of rebuilding, and if every player plays to his potential, we become a contender. If we don't compete, not a big deal, at least hopefully we saw some players progress.

1. Sign an OF to spell De Aza and Tank. Options that I like are Gutierrez, Young, and Sizemore. Go one year with an option in case one of them goes back to old form

2. As much as I would like to see Phegley/Flowers develop into avg Major Leaguers, it's tough for me to see that happening. Sign Gio Soto to split time with one of them and trade/DFA the other

3. Sign a reliable reliever: this could be crain, downs, chris perez (hasn't been that reliable but love his upside), or someone of that nature. 2 yrs max

4. Sign a cheap reliever that has a chance to turn it around (Aardsma, Dotel, Farnsworth)

5. Don't trade pitching...YET. If we trade Quintana/Santiago this offseason, and Danks or Johnson end up sucking, then youve turned a strength into a weakness. If you keep Quintana/Santiago then you have 3 fairly reliable starters, and can live with an average Danks and Johnson.

6. Give Gillaspie a chance...but have a reliable backup option... could be Semien, or a guy like Uribe

This gives us best case scenario and the players playing to their potential...

(AVG/OPS HR RBI)

1. De Aza (270/750 15 60)

2. Beckham (290/800 15 75)

3. Abreu (300/950 40 110)

4. Dunn (240/850 40 100)

5. Garcia (290/800 20 80)

6. Viciedo (270/775 30 85)

7. Soto (275/775 15 60)

8. Gillaspie(260/725 15 50)

9. Ramirez (285/725 15 70)

Too lazy to do pitchers, but thats a solid lineup if everyone plays to their potential. Unfortunately there's like a 1% chance of this happening

Makes me kinda optimistic tho.