2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:38 AM)
Interesting about the new t.v. contract.

It can't be for Comcast, because that one expires in 2019 (along with the White Sox deal). WGN?

When do the White Sox come up for a new deal with WGN?

Rumor is Cubs want to start their own network similar to YES, I believe partnering with Comcast

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor is Cubs want to start their own network similar to YES, I believe partnering with Comcast

Terrible idea. NY Metro area has over twice as many people as Chicago, plus the Yankees have another team as a partner in the Nets.

Don't forget that games are blacked out outside of the Chicago area, so there is no incentive to get this channel if you live anywhere else.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:40 AM)

And Comcast is 40% owned by Reinsdorf/Sox/Bulls.

This would be fine if they had a good product to sell, but they should be targeting 2014 or 2015 (especially) when they would theoretically have more leverage and pent-up demand.

On the other hand, maybe there's concern that the losing will go on for a long time and that they should strike while the iron is hot financially (with all the new tv deals the last couple of seasons) rather than waiting it out for another year or two.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
And Comcast is 40% owned by Reinsdorf/Sox/Bulls.

This would be fine if they had a good product to sell, but they should be targeting 2014 or 2015 (especially) when they would theoretically have more leverage and pent-up demand.

On the other hand, maybe there's concern that the losing will go on for a long time and that they should strike while the iron is hot financially (with all the new tv deals the last couple of seasons) rather than waiting it out for another year or two.

Pretty sure the Cubs own a portion as well. I dont think Reinsdorf plays into it at all

I read an article about the Cubs perhaps starting their own network. The problem is programing. Sure they will have people watch the games if they are good, but what about all the other time when there isn't a game? There are only so many times you can run an Inside Ernie Banks special.

I read an article about the Cubs perhaps starting their own network. The problem is programing. Sure they will have people watch the games if they are good, but what about all the other time when there isn't a game? There are only so many times you can run an Inside Ernie Banks special.

Exactly. Even the Yankees, who have an endless supply of championship teams and HOF players to discuss, still found a second team as a partner because ultimately, live games are what drive the ratings of sports networks.

If the Cubs could find a way to partner with the Hawks (since I'm assuming the Bulls are out of the question), it's possible, but I still think it's iffy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)

This is worth noting. Keep in mind that is before they drop a single penny into Wrigely.

Apparently all it takes to own one of the most storied franchises in sports history is the rich person's equivalent to a down payment on a house. When the Ricketts family bought the Cubs, Wrigley Field and an interest in the local sports network for $845 million, it put down $171 million – a hair over 20 percent – and financed the rest through a number of means. And in the half-decade since, that $674 million-plus in debt has left the Cubs in perpetual duress, acting as if they're Kansas City or Tampa Bay.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
This is worth noting. Keep in mind that is before they drop a single penny into Wrigely.

That really explains why they are so concerned with "maximizing revenue" in and around the ballpark. That seems to be project #1 instead of the actual team, and all that debt is a big reason why.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
That really explains why they are so concerned with "maximizing revenue" in and around the ballpark. That seems to be project #1 instead of the actual team, and all that debt is a big reason why.

More than the debt has got be the drop off in revenue. I know they can't have planned for attendance and advertising falling off as much as it had.

The counter-argument is that they are spending all their money on scouting and obtaining minor league players. The thing is that they need to hit on almost ALL of them for the team to be any good.

I’m not sure how much longer the fans will continue to wait.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
The counter-argument is that they are spending all their money on scouting and obtaining minor league players. The thing is that they need to hit on almost ALL of them for the team to be any good.

Yea, thats all cub fans talk about is the prospects they have. Soler, almora, edwards, bryant, baez, they seem like real good prospects but it hardly ever works that way where all your top ten pan out. And this city should know that well with patterson, guzmqn, pie, choi, prior, anderson, borchard, sweeney, reed, etc

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
More than the debt has got be the drop off in revenue. I know they can't have planned for attendance and advertising falling off as much as it had.

Given how bad they have been their attendance is still pretty good. I know the fanbase is loyal, but did they really expect to keep selling out with three straight 90 loss seasons?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)

They aren't spending "all of their money" on it. With the budgetary limits that have been placed in those areas, there is a pretty good chance they are spending less in terms of real dollars than the ever had before.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
Given how bad they have been their attendance is still pretty good. I know the fanbase is loyal, but did they really expect to keep selling out with three straight 90 loss seasons?

The purchase was made before 3 straight 90 loss seasons.

jon greenberg ‏@jon_greenberg 58m

Too funny. “@DannyEcker: Cubs cracking down on indy vendors at #CubsCon. Fees up, weeding out "opportunist" sellers: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201...vention-vendors …”

The Cubs major league product is a complete sham by design, and the team is worried about vendors that pay to sell crap at their convention.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
Well I wonder if Grand Wizard Theo told him that he planned on tanking several seasons before the team may be good again.

I think it was pretty well known that they planned to break it all down and try to rebuild the entire system from the ground up.

I’m just not sure if they expected to a) be as awful as they have been the last couple of years and b) to have so much trouble trying to renovate the stadium.

I also think the rules that changed about how much money they can spend on draft picks hurt them a lot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
They aren't spending "all of their money" on it. With the budgetary limits that have been placed in those areas, there is a pretty good chance they are spending less in terms of real dollars than the ever had before.

I wasn’t even necessarily talking about the draft. I was talking about spending more on scouts/scouting and getting the managers in the minors all teaching the players the same thing the same way, all the way up through the majors. I’ve heard them talking about “the cub way” a few times and even having a written manual that explains it.