2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 08:07 PM)
The last time you were this in love with a Cubs pitcher was Travis Wood

I don't think Hendricks is good, I'm more making fun of the media. And yes, I still nailed my prediction that Wood would be better than Nestor Molina.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
I don't think Hendricks is good, I'm more making fun of the media. And yes, I still nailed my prediction that Wood would be better than Nestor Molina.

That was only part of it. You were pimping that guy as the next coming

Cubs have been in a rain delay for 3 hours...except it hasn't rained in a while. They had an issue calling for the tarp late, and when they did, they couldn't get it on before a ton of damage was done. It's midnight and they are still considering playing. Only the bottom of the 5th. Everyone is just standing around watching the field dry, because not a lot can be done. So bizarre.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:04 AM)
Cubs have been in a rain delay for 3 hours...except it hasn't rained in a while. They had an issue calling for the tarp late, and when they did, they couldn't get it on before a ton of damage was done. It's midnight and they are still considering playing. Only the bottom of the 5th. Everyone is just standing around watching the field dry, because not a lot can be done. So bizarre.

I was at the Sox game and was wondering what the hell was going on since there was clear skies at the cell.

Given that the Giants are battling for a playoff spot, I'm sure they'll wait as long as possible to play the game. I guess according to MLB rules, you can't suspend this game and play tomorrow. Either call it official or wait it out. Same thing happened in July in New York.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mlb-is...p;vkey=news_mlb

Surely the Giants will protest and lose, but it really sucks for a playoff contender to have a chance to win a game be taken away by the lack of preparedness by an opponent's grounds crew.

Granted, it was a very very localized storm, but it shouldn't decide a playoff race...or contribute to deciding one.

One of the only examples of a protest being upheld that I can remember was the early 80's George Brett pine tar game, where the league office overruled the umpires...gave the Royals the lead and then they ended up going to New York on an offday to play the bottom of the inning, with the Yankees going down 1-2-3. I think they even offered discounted $3-5 tickets for folks who didn't attend the original game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
Attention all playoff contenders: If it starts raining during an "official" game, advise your grounds crew to work as slowly and clumsily as possible. If the field becomes unplayable, you win!

It would really be hilarious if they miss the top draft pick by one game.

QUOTE (Iguchicago @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:47 AM)
I was at the Sox game and was wondering what the hell was going on since there was clear skies at the cell.

I live about 3 miles south of Wrigley and about 5 miles north of USCF. A couple of times last night it couldn't have been raining any harder by me.

No shock that both Samardzija and Hammel are performing poorly (Hammel's been awful) for the A's. Still no idea what Beane was thinking giving up Russell for those guys, as Samardzija has a history of tailing off as the season drags on.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
I'm shocked it was upheld. Logically it makes sense for it to do so, but by the letter of the rule, it doesn't make any sense, there's nothing in there that supports it. I have no idea how they got away with that. A tarp is not mechanical.

One of the guys moving it had a prosthetic arm. :D

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
I'm shocked it was upheld. Logically it makes sense for it to do so, but by the letter of the rule, it doesn't make any sense, there's nothing in there that supports it. I have no idea how they got away with that. A tarp is not mechanical.

Sounds like their excuse is that it was wrapped up incorrectly last time, so there was nothing the crew could have done to prevent it yesterday, therefore it's mechanical?

Might be a slight bending of the rules, but I am glad to see them use common sense.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
Sounds like their excuse is that it was wrapped up incorrectly last time, so there was nothing the crew could have done to prevent it yesterday, therefore it's mechanical?

Might be a slight bending of the rules, but I am glad to see them use common sense.

Yes. A 15 minute rain should not wash out a major league game. Whether or not that technically was a mechanical problem, sometimes common sense is a good thing too.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 07:03 AM)
http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-wrigley...o?mod=yahoo_itp

On Why Cubs Attendance Is Falling...Fans Actually Expect Winning Baseball for a Change

That's just an awful article. The author completely ignores that every major attendance spike of the past 30 years coincided with a Cubs playoff appearance. Attendance reached an all-time high in 2008 because the team had the best record in the entire National League.

Do people attend Cubs games just for the Wrigley experience? Of course. But that ballpark won't fill if the team completely sucks for years on end.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 06:45 AM)
That's just an awful article. The author completely ignores that every major attendance spike of the past 30 years coincided with a Cubs playoff appearance. Attendance reached an all-time high in 2008 because the team had the best record in the entire National League.

Do people attend Cubs games just for the Wrigley experience? Of course. But that ballpark won't fill if the team completely sucks for years on end.

This usually happens when "finance/business" people write baseball articles.

They usually can't see the bigger picture, with their limited sports background and knowledge of the teams.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 07:45 AM)

Yea, it only looks bad because they are comparing it to the years when they were consistently over 3 million every year no matter what.

Sure it’s down a little now but they were drawing over 2.5 million in the early 2000’s as well when they were losing 90+ games a year. Another couple years of missing the playoffs and they’ll be under 2 million.