2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
I don't think there's anything wrong with stating that Baez has the look of a boom or bust prospect, but he will definitely be given every chance to prove himself. I think of a guy like Chris Carter, who also put up really good numbers in the minors but had better walk and strikeout rates. He's also a 1B, but he's been incredibly mediocre as a pro.

He's the very definition of boom or bust. 1-6 with 3k's and a HR isnt going to keep you in the majors. He has to show pitch recognition and the ability to get on base.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
I think he's a much, much better prospect than Almora.

No doubt (I doubt anyone disagrees there) but the hype, comparisons, etc. Cubs fans, media, etc. give these two is pretty ridiculous. I love Bryant, I love Soler. Obviously I'm not a scout, but even I don't see some of the hofty crap with those two (and with Bryant I could at least understand since he is awesome :D)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
No doubt (I doubt anyone disagrees there) but the hype, comparisons, etc. Cubs fans, media, etc. give these two is pretty ridiculous. I love Bryant, I love Soler. Obviously I'm not a scout, but even I don't see some of the hofty crap with those two (and with Bryant I could at least understand since he is awesome :D)

Yeah, I changed my post a little bit. The 3 guys I really, really like from their system are Bryant, Soler, and Russell. I like Baez, but there's just a lot of boom/bust going on there, and I don't understand why Almora has gotten the rankings and praise he has other than based on where he was drafted. His numbers look a lot like Christian Colon's.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
I think he's a much, much better prospect than Almora.

I see what you're saying. I still find it kind of hard to agree with. Almora is holding his own in AA, but Baez has been fairly good at a very similar age at a higher level.

It is a very small sample size but Almora has been terrible at AA and he wasn't particularly impressive at high A either.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
He's the very definition of boom or bust. 1-6 with 3k's and a HR isnt going to keep you in the majors. He has to show pitch recognition and the ability to get on base.

It reminds me of my argument with Jason about Chris Young in the FutureSox thread a few years ago. I was right at the end (sorry Jason :P), but even he showed better strike zone judgement. But alas, we'll have to wait and see. I can easily see Theo dangling him in a deal for pitching in the off season though.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
It is a very small sample size but Almora has been terrible at AA and he wasn't particularly impressive at high A either.

I thought I read that he projects out to be like a David dejesus? Good defense , speed, but nothing crazy? But when he's talked about you'd think he's the next adam jones lol

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)

I did disagree. I think Almora has a better chance of being a long term MLB player than Baez. I think Baez has a better chance to be an All-Star. But I think he also has a better chance to bust.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
A caller on the score just said he's a white sox fan but he's been watching more cubs games this year because of the young guys their calling up and how it's fun to see something being built blah blah blah. I guess seeing eaton , avisail , Abreu , sale , Quintana is not enough lol and we have some decent prospects too like Johnson who doesn't get as much hype, semien etc. people get so caught up with prospects and forget about the proven young players on a team already. Like people will say do the white sox have the best farm system like the cubs? No but I wouldn't trade places with the cubs. Your still hoping for those guys to pan out because ATM they haven't done anything(aside from Rizzo and Castro) ill take the sox players mentioned above since besides avisail, we've seen them succeed

Funny that person is a cub fan who obviously wanted to make a point, although not correct, a point none the less.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 07:05 AM)
But there was no strawman. You just imagined one. Again. All I said was if Courtney Hawkins puts up Javier Baez numbers next year in AAA, the posters here would want to see him in Chicago, and no one would be saying he's a bust waiting to happen.

I agree; I think we'd all be aware of what the potential flaw in his game would be that would lead him to being a bust, but we absolutely would want to see him play for the big league club and there is no denying the potential upside. Baez is clearly a better prospect then Hawkins too.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)
It reminds me of my argument with Jason about Chris Young in the FutureSox thread a few years ago. I was right at the end (sorry Jason :P), but even he showed better strike zone judgement. But alas, we'll have to wait and see. I can easily see Theo dangling him in a deal for pitching in the off season though.

Young did put up back to back 5+ WAR seasons, which is pretty good and then a 3rd season of a 2 WAR, which was still serviceable. He faded fast after he left Arizona and clearly didn't put all of the offensive game together but there was still value in Chris Young, more so then a lot of prospects. Makes me feel old that he's 30, haha.

I'm thinking they're eventually going to end up moving Baez to 3B and Bryant to RF.

That situation could end up reversed, whichever plays the better infield defense which "frees them up" to think about offense the most and doesn't become a negative distraction (error totals/media focus on this aspect). If Baez can be a notch better (defensively) than Conor Gillaspie, those power numbers at 3B would certainly play well, even if he strikes out at a Mark Reynolds-esque pace, as getting a 750-775 OPS from 3B these days in the majors is pretty huge.

We all know Baez has an ultra high ceiling but higher bust possibility, lower floor. That's well documented.

Finally, Russell and Castro can play middle infield...not sure if Russell will move to 2B or Castro will give up SS. It will be interesting, either way.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
Reports out that Cubs were the team that put the claim in for Hamels. I would be shocked if they worked out a deal, but so much for the theory they don't have money.

They went after Tanaka, they obviously have some money squirrelled away for a big pitching target

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
They went after Tanaka, they obviously have some money squirrelled away for a big pitching target

It's easy to say you had the money and pursued Tanaka when Tanaka isn't there to make you put up or shut up

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
So every respected reporter was wrong on the Cubs making a strong bid?

Or they were all fed the same line of garbage. Heck I am still waiting to hear what the Sox or Cubs bids were. The media in this town is a bunch of lap dogs. They don't say anything without the approval of the team they cover.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)
At the Cubs vs Rockies game today. Needless to say Baez's power is massive. That second one today was very impressive.

He has as much raw power as anyone in the game, including Abreu. He actually reminds me a lot of Abreu in terms of what his home run spray chart will look like. It will be interesting to see how the league adjusts to him. If he can limit his strike outs like he has the last two games, he's going to be a superstar.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
That's the last you will hear about Jose Abreu in Chicago this season. The Cubs hype train has left the station and there's no stopping it now

Sad but very true. Thankfully the Bears are coming into focus.