2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
There's definitely a chance that Baez can be a complete bust but he's still ridiculously young too.

Where I think Baez will be dangerous for the Cubs is that he projects to maybe be their 4th-6th best hitter. If you have guys like Rizzo and Bryant being OPS monsters, then having someone that you can rely on to hit 35 homers a year playing 2nd base could be very valuable.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
I noticed today that Jason Parks took a job with the Cubs scouting department. He did always seem to follow their minors pretty closely.

Yeah my friend texted me that last night. He is always on the Cubs nuts. Fits him well.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
Yeah my friend texted me that last night. He is always on the Cubs nuts. Fits him well.

Well maybe he was on the "Cubs nuts" because they have awesome offensive prospects. If the White Sox or another team had those guys, I'm sure he would have been on their "nuts" too.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
Well maybe he was on the "Cubs nuts" because they have awesome offensive prospects. If the White Sox or another team had those guys, I'm sure he would have been on their "nuts" too.

As someone who listened to a ton of Fringe Average Podcasts (RIP), Parks really WAS all over the Cubs nuts. He would bring them up constantly, while Mike Ferrin would be discussing other things. I mean, the Twins have a loaded farm system too and he never spoke of them, other than Buxton.

Really sad to not have Parks as a prospects resource anymore. He was really funny and I enjoyed hearing him talk prospects. But as soon as I heard he was going to work for the Cubs, I stared laughing because that was such a perfect fit for him.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
As someone who listened to a ton of Fringe Average Podcasts (RIP), Parks really WAS all over the Cubs nuts. He would bring them up constantly, while Mike Ferrin would be discussing other things. I mean, the Twins have a loaded farm system too and he never spoke of them, other than Buxton.

Really sad to not have Parks as a prospects resource anymore. He was really funny and I enjoyed hearing him talk prospects. But as soon as I heard he was going to work for the Cubs, I stared laughing because that was such a perfect fit for him.

I'm still not sure how having such a "homer" working for your team helps in any other way other than public relations, like a Scott Merkin. Why would any other organization who's looking to trade for a Cubs' prospect do anything but take what he says with a grain of salt and actually perform a lot more due diligence to compensate for the fact that few prospects can ever live up to such constant hyping and media sensationalism.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
I'm still not sure how having such a "homer" working for your team helps in any other way other than public relations, like a Scott Merkin. Why would any other organization who's looking to trade for a Cubs' prospect do anything but take what he says with a grain of salt and actually perform a lot more due diligence to compensate for the fact that few prospects can ever live up to such constant hyping and media sensationalism.

I think if you're qualified to evaluate prospects, it shouldn't matter if you have a bias like that. Those other teams have to do their own homework on guys too.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
Soler looks incredible. Already looks more comfortable than Baez at the plate.

Agree but I was saying the same thing about Lake last year. Soler has a short quick swing.