2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:29 AM)
Avi's swing looking more like Baez lately.

He's always had solid success at the MLB level, but I truly believe his entire swing needs to be changed. He's too big and strong to barely get his lower half into his swing. Until it's fixed, he's nothing more than a complimentary player.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
The potential 3-4-5 of Rizzo, Bryant and Soler is scary. You add Castro, Russell and Baez to that....uh oh

Yup. Going to be some fun Chicago baseball to watch next season. I already find myself flipping back and forth to catch some of Baez/Soler at bats.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
Then why bring up Baez and Soler?

Soler was signed to a major league contract, so calling him up really doesn't change anything contractually.

For Baez to be called up while he was striking out a ton in AAA was surprising to me. I mean, Baez and Davidson had the same K-rate this season in AAA. Baez did not deserve a call-up.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 07:13 PM)
Soler was signed to a major league contract, so calling him up really doesn't change anything contractually.

For Baez to be called up while he was striking out a ton in AAA was surprising to me. I mean, Baez and Davidson had the same K-rate this season in AAA. Baez did not deserve a call-up.

Marketing.

B&B and other shows have been touching on the topic of Baez lately. It is way too early to make any sweeping generalizations. However, if Baez ends up being Mark Reynolds, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. He's a 2B. Even if he K's a ton, plays average defense, and hits 30-35 bombs a year with a low average, I'd take that. Many would be disappointed with that but jeez how many 2B hit like that? Not many.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
B&B and other shows have been touching on the topic of Baez lately. It is way too early to make any sweeping generalizations. However, if Baez ends up being Mark Reynolds, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. He's a 2B. Even if he K's a ton, plays average defense, and hits 30-35 bombs a year with a low average, I'd take that. Many would be disappointed with that but jeez how many 2B hit like that? Not many.

Mark Reynolds can draw walks though, so I'm not sure that's a great comp offensively.

It's way too early to jump to any conclusions, but Baez is going to make some serious strides to be worth a damn.

Did anyone believe Alcantara would have more homers than Baez?

That's been a surprise, although overall his offensive numbers indicate more or less a slightly below average MLB CFer...and he's doing on the job training defensively.

Of course, Soler's the new "golden child" of the moment and Baez has been kind of been forgotten about, but his season, were it not for September...is to the point where you'd have to consider sending him back down or shutting him down if that was an option. So he has no choice but to struggle and try to battle his way out of it, which the Cubs ultimately believe he'll be able to do.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
Did anyone believe Alcantara would have more homers than Baez?

That's been a surprise, although overall his offensive numbers indicate more or less a slightly below average MLB CFer...and he's doing on the job training defensively.

Of course, Soler's the new "golden child" of the moment and Baez has been kind of been forgotten about, but his season, were it not for September...is to the point where you'd have to consider sending him back down or shutting him down if that was an option. So he has no choice but to struggle and try to battle his way out of it, which the Cubs ultimately believe he'll be able to do.

While all the while, if he continues to struggle, we'll hear more and more how he was a Hendry guy. Funny how we didn't hear that when he was being hyped a month ago.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
While all the while, if he continues to struggle, we'll hear more and more how he was a Hendry guy. Funny how we didn't hear that when he was being hyped a month ago.

In all fairness, they were giving Hendry a lot of credit at the time...almost going out of their way to do it with Castro and Baez.

The Cubs' FO is lucky that Hendricks, Wada and Soler are doing well, or there would be a lot more attention focused on Javier's struggles and the fact that his OPS is currently well below "bad" Gordon Beckham territory despite all the power.