Is there a market for Dunn

TheFutureIsNear

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Dunn has bopped 20-25 HR at the A-S break and has an .800 OPS or better, he may well net a king's ransom on the trade market. He is the exact type of player people go bonkers over when there is hardly any more money owed. When he's only owed a half year's salary, we'll probably be much more open to tossing in some money as well.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
If Dunn has bopped 20-25 HR at the A-S break and has an .800 OPS or better, he may well net a king's ransom on the trade market. He is the exact type of player people go bonkers over when there is hardly any more money owed. When he's only owed a half year's salary, we'll probably be much more open to tossing in some money as well.

This. Why deal him now if you have to pay over half his salary and get squat back. Take a chance since he is in a contract year that he comes out like gangbusters and you get a nice little return at the trading deadline. Somebody in the pennant race will need a bat...and a bonus is an expiring contract. Hang on to him....

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
Dunn is the poster boy of this awful offense. With all the money flying around MLB currently even $10M paid to get rid of him is worth it because it shows a fresh start. Sox fans have had enough of Dunn.

Paul Konerko was the captain of that awful offense. He was the #1 contributor on the roster to the awfulness of that offense. He's the epitome of everything that went wrong last year.

Oh, and he's also right handed and we have enough righties.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 12:55 PM)
If you wanna go for another top 3 pick then sure, go for it.

Only way I'm giving up Dunn is if they get a LH middle of the line bat in here. Even then I might not do it.

Paul Konerko offered close to nothing against RH pitching, which is what the Sox predominantly face. Dunn had an OPS nearly 200 points higher than PK against RHers.

And if we keep Dunn until the deadline we finish with the 7th worst record instead? Who cares? Save $ and get younger, this team won't be serious contenders with or without Dunn.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
And if we keep Dunn until the deadline we finish with the 7th worst record instead? Who cares? Save $ and get younger, this team won't be serious contenders with or without Dunn.

We're not going to do both save money and get younger. That's the point. If you want anything useful back to actually help the team get younger...you're going to have to basically pay his contract, and even then you're not going to get all that much.

There aren't a lot of options that are better than Dunn currently on the roster or in free agency. The upshot of that is that if a contender needs a lefty power bat at the deadline they might be more inclined to eat more of Dunn's remaining contract.

Hold on to him for now.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
Get younger by replacing Dunn with an older Konerko? Huh?

The prospect(s) we would get in return would make us younger. I've said it like 3 times already, but I'm not expecting anything great in return. I think we get 1 or 2 Brandon Jacobs type prospects back. Or a KW special and a 23/24 year who is considered a failed top prospect. Something along those lines. With so little good hitters available I could see a GM who misses out on McCann or Cruz settling for Dunn rather than overpay for a guy like Morales. We eat $5M and get a teams 10th and 15th best prospects back in return? IDK, seems very reasonable to me.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
The prospect(s) we would get in return would make us younger. I've said it like 3 times already, but I'm not expecting anything great in return. I think we get 1 or 2 Brandon Jacobs type prospects back. Or a KW special and a 23/24 year who is considered a failed top prospect. Something along those lines. With so little good hitters available I could see a GM who misses out on McCann or Cruz settling for Dunn rather than overpay for a guy like Morales. We eat $5M and get a teams 10th and 15th best prospects back in return? IDK, seems very reasonable to me.

Looking at the guys ranked 10-15 in the White Sox org...I wouldn't give up one of them for the right to pay Adam Dunn $9 million next year. I might have given up a guy around #20 if the White Sox kicked in about $8-$10 million.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)

Regardless of whether or not you or anyone else thinks the team can be contenders, Hahn has made it clear that they're not punting the season. He'll be there opening day with the plan B being he hits well and nets us better prospects at the deadline if and when the Sox are out of it.

In other words we make the assumption that the Sox will be sellers at the deadline, eating half Dunn's salary in a trade this offseason would net us prospects X. Making the measured gamble that Dunn can hit well in the first half (in effect eating half of his salary by playing him) would net us a group of prospects better than X.

JR isn't going to pay 7-15M for a prospect. The only way Hahn trades Dunn is if he really wants and thinks we can make a run at the World Series next year and he decides Dunn's general performance is counterproductive to that goal. Which is a legit possibility but I'd say not likely. If we trade Dunn that means we are in it to win it baby!

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)

I still don't see a team that fits Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)

But 1Bmen will get injured, DHs will get injured, 1Bmen and DHs will underperform for teams who are buying at the deadline. If Dunn can manage to be something resembling solid, someone will want to add his power.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)

Yankees acquired Vernon Wells with basically a 2 year/$14 million contract. I'm sure they would be willing to take on 1 year of Dunn for $10 million. I could see Texas willing to do it as well if they miss out on McCann. Mitch Moreland is their best LH bat.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
Yankees acquired Vernon Wells with basically a 2 year/$14 million contract. I'm sure they would be willing to take on 1 year of Dunn for $10 million. I could see Texas willing to do it as well if they miss out on McCann. Mitch Moreland is their best LH bat.

But there's no way they'd give you anything of value if they need that bat.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
Again, why are we trading Dunn? There is nobody in the system to take his place in 2014. If by the small chance you compete in 2014, his home runs will be a reason why. Keep him. Maybe an AL team gets desperate at the deadline.

Everything about this.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)
Again, why are we trading Dunn? There is nobody in the system to take his place in 2014. If by the small chance you compete in 2014, his home runs will be a reason why. Keep him. Maybe an AL team gets desperate at the deadline.

This.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
JR isn't going to pay 7-15M for a prospect. The only way Hahn trades Dunn is if he really wants and thinks we can make a run at the World Series next year and he decides Dunn's general performance is counterproductive to that goal. Which is a legit possibility but I'd say not likely. If we trade Dunn that means we are in it to win it baby!

abreu_field_2.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Just teasing!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)

Well there may be. If Paulie comes back ( hope not) he may be reduced to a DH. Abreu is going to play 1B but we are not sure how well. When the Red Sox were looking at him, they projected him as a DH when Ortiz retired.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
Well there may be. If Paulie comes back ( hope not) he may be reduced to a DH. Abreu is going to play 1B but we are not sure how well. When the Red Sox were looking at him, they projected him as a DH when Ortiz retired.

Just to stress again from a baseball perspective...let's imagine that the Sox sold off Dunn and re-upped Konerko.

De Aza

Beckham

Garcia

Abreu

Konerko

Viciedo

Ramirez

Keppinger/Gillaspie

Phegley/Flowers

No one sees the obvious baseball problem there? Our lefties are De Aza and Gillaspie. Just from a baseball perspective that's a lineup set up to be destroyed by RHP.