Matt Wieters

Boopa1219

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
Soon to be a free agent. Boras client.

I'd still take him. He would be a huge upgrade for two seasons and would yield a first round pick after that, or if he gets back to where he was producing before this season you could spin him for more prospects after next season.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
As stated in the other thread(perhaps we can move all take here?) I'd rather just sign Salty if possible. Then trade a pitcher to fill a hole else where.

Salty will cost twice as much and not be as good. And the way the market for catching is looking, the Sox are probably out on Salty anyway. McCann goes to Tex, Ruiz to the Rockies, and the bidding war starts for Salty.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
I'd be willing to take him if we can extend him and buy out 1-2 years of FA. I know that isn't Boras's style but I'd be willing to pay a slight premium price to do so.

Given that we'd have to extend him I'm not sure I'd be willing to move Quintana in said deal.

We have had players (Danks) dump Boras before to sign an extension. Maybe a year in the clubhouse makes him amenable to such a deal.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
We have had players (Danks) dump Boras before to sign an extension. Maybe a year in the clubhouse makes him amenable to such a deal.

You can't project that in the event of a trade though. You have to trade for the guy assuming "he's a FA in 2 years and his agent is Mr. Boras". You make an offer based on that.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
I'm sorry.

A guy with a .287 OBP will cost c. Quintana?

I'll take him - if we pay the price one should for a .287 obp hitter. WE've got plenty of complements to that around.

His career OBP is .319, the 2 previous seasons it was in the range of .320-.330, last year was the first year of his career below .319, and he posted a .247 BABIP (worst of his career by 0.025+).

If you said he's a .320 OBP player I'd buy that.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
As stated in the other thread(perhaps we can move all take here?) I'd rather just sign Salty if possible. Then trade a pitcher to fill a hole else where.

I was the one who brought up Weiters for the sake of argument because we need a catcher. But I agree with this because Weiters has declined the past 2 seasons and getting Salty at 4/40 is a nice piece for what Hahn is trying to build. Then trade Santiago + to get your franchise third baseman.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
I was the one who brought up Weiters for the sake of argument because we need a catcher. But I agree with this because Weiters has declined the past 2 seasons and getting Salty at 4/40 is a nice piece for what Hahn is trying to build. Then trade Santiago + to get your franchise third baseman.

If Salty is already one of the worst catchers in baseball throwing base-stealers out, what will he be by Year 3

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
If Salty is already one of the worst catchers in baseball throwing base-stealers out, what will he be by Year 3

Who knows? Sometimes guys can actually get better at throwing if they can work on their footwork or if the pitchers help them out. AJ was below average throwing people out his first 5 years with the white sox but has been average to even above average since 2010.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
Salty will cost twice as much and not be as good. And the way the market for catching is looking, the Sox are probably out on Salty anyway. McCann goes to Tex, Ruiz to the Rockies, and the bidding war starts for Salty.

I think Saltalamacchia will be as good or better than Wieters and the Sox would have him for twice as long. Wieters has a higher ceiling, but the odds are against him reaching said ceiling.

This brings out "will he be here when the Sox are competing?" argument, but this one is legit because the Sox would actually have to trade for him (unlike Alexei Ramirez, who likely won't be on the next competitive Sox team, but is a player the Sox currently have under contract and as such should try and extract as much value as possible out of).

Wieters is a good player, but based on the hype behind him when he came up, he's been quite a disappointment.

He's only had two above average offensive seasons. He might be a great defensive catcher, but he's quite mediocre with the bat.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
I'd be willing to take him if we can extend him and buy out 1-2 years of FA. I know that isn't Boras's style but I'd be willing to pay a slight premium price to do so.

Given that we'd have to extend him I'm not sure I'd be willing to move Quintana in said deal.

Might be a moot point with Quintana as Hahn pretty much rates him untouchable. But, the MLB Trade Rumors also kind of debunk the Orioles wanting to trade Wieters at the same time it say he may be offered. I think it is just one of those "no one is untouchable for the right deal things"

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 12:18 AM)
I'd be ok with that.

We trade a decent cost controlled young pitcher and a 2B who needs a change of scenery for a catcher with deflated value who has a nice ceiling offensively, but provides stellar defense and a great throwing arm. His lack of controlled years makes it a fair swap to offset his the amount of talent he provides over Santiago/Beckham.

And Orioles needs SP and 2B right now, so it seems like a good fit for both teams. Maybe we throw in someone like Snodgress to sweeten the deal, but either way.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
Frankly, Wieters is a busted prospect who is 2 years away from being a very expensive free agent, and people are talking about trading 3 players for him. Christ

If he had 4 years of service time left, he would be a great "buy-low" candidate for a team like the Sox. But given his situation, IF he lives up to his prospect hype, then he just prices his way out of your budget. Maybe you do trade him for something, but it doesn't seem worth the risk.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
If he had 4 years of service time left, he would be a great "buy-low" candidate for a team like the Sox. But given his situation, IF he lives up to his prospect hype, then he just prices his way out of your budget. Maybe you do trade him for something, but it doesn't seem worth the risk.

I like this post. This is exactly how I feel.