Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
Ok, well you are using the "He is 30 and more likely to regress" reasoning for Freese. Thats fine, but what about "Conor Gillaspie had his first season in the bigs at 26, so this is probably the best he is ever going to be"?

Usually players that couldnt get out of the minors until that age end up being nothing more than AAAA players. Freese has demonstrated that he can produce at the big league level

You do realize the first MLB action David Freese got was at age 26 which he had 34 PA. At age 27 he had 270. At age 28 he had 363. so according to this and you Conor is ahead of schedule and will be better then Freese :)

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
You do realize the first MLB action David Freese got was at age 26 which he had 34 PA. At age 27 he had 270. At age 28 he had 363. so according to this and you Conor is ahead of schedule and will be better then Freese :)

I also realize his numbers were much better than Conors in all three of those seasons.

Like I said, Im not saying I want Freese, Im just saying he is better than Conor

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)

Then compare their minor league numbers. Freese blows Gillaspie out of the water there too.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
I also realize his numbers were much better than Conors in all three of those seasons.

Like I said, Im not saying I want Freese, Im just saying he is better than Conor

Huh?? At age 26 David Freese had 31 ABs with 1 home run and 7 RBIs

Conor Gillaspie who was 25 to start last year had 408 AB's 13 home runs and 40 RBIs

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
Maybe should try a split finger pitch then. A lot of pitchers have sucess with it. I can't even remember the last guy the Sox had who threw one unless you count Contrersas and his forkball. Doesn't seem like they teach it in the Sox system perhaps because it's hard on the elbow and shoulder ?

I don't think Cooper allows or teaches a split finger. Too much stress on the arm.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 05:27 PM)
Sorry lol. Being from St. Louis I had to hear everyone say how awesome David Freese was and how everyone loved him and I said from the beginning he was overrated.

He was a hometown World Series hero. Of course people loved him. But I think that feeling has waned over the past 2 seasons.

Wow. The Sox better do something soon because the natives are clearly restless. Neither player seems to be a long term solution for the Sox so in the end does it really matter? I will say Conner is young enough to say "ya never know" , just not something I would count on.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
And now you are a person from St. Louis overrating Conor Gillaspie.

Don't think he overrated him just saying Conor has some upside value and he's a better fit at 3rd base than Freese being younger and LH and thats hard to argue . When saying Conor is better than Freese I'm pretty sure that was the gist of his argument rather than career numbers since Conor hasn't had much a career yet.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
And now you are a person from St. Louis overrating Conor Gillaspie.

Not overrating him. If you look at one of my post I said he had a chance to be above average. I know he isn't great or will be great but I think he is better then Freese and I would much rather have him on this team then Freese. And he is younger and left handed which is what we need. I personally want him to get another chance at 3rd this year.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 06:03 PM)
Not overrating him. If you look at one of my post I said he had a chance to be above average. I know he isn't great or will be great but I think he is better then Freese and I would much rather have him on this team then Freese. And he is younger and left handed which is what we need. I personally want him to get another chance at 3rd this year.

He'll be in the mix, don't you worry. If they go out and get a legitimate 3B, cya later, but I don't see that happening, and Freese is not that guy.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
Mistake in which way? You really like Gillaspie huh? If Semien hits in the Spring he absolutely deserves AB's over Gillaspie.

I don't think Semien is a true 3B just like Beckham wasn't and they forced him there.. I want Semien to play but not at 3B unless somehow Beckham turns it around.

Right now I would rather have Gillaspie then Beckham in the line up.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
I don't think Semien is a true 3B just like Beckham wasn't and they forced him there.. I want Semien to play but not at 3B unless somehow Beckham turns it around.

George Kottaras just DFA. Not a long term solution, but I'd still get him in camp unless they plan on getting something better. He'd be a natural platoon with Phegley, or Flowers.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)

I'd rather go with Beckham who actually, once upon a time, had above average tools, and would garner interest from other teams if he did show a pulse. I don't see how anyone can think Gillaspie will ever be starter worthy.

Beckham played a good 3B for the sox.

Gillespie would be okay for 1 year - see if he can improve. He had a near 9% walk rate, which is stupendous for this organization. Put MS there - that would be fine too. Certainly don't use assets on a declining veteran there for this transition year.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)

Ehh ok, I can't even argue with that. Im all for Beckham not starting, somehow I dont think its going to happen though.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
Beckham played a good 3B for the sox.

Gillespie would be okay for 1 year - see if he can improve. He had a near 9% walk rate, which is stupendous for this organization. Put MS there - that would be fine too. Certainly don't use assets on a declining veteran there for this transition year.

I honestly don't see us entering the 2014 season with both Ramirez & Beckham on the team. IMO, one of these guys will be traded this offseason. If that happens, Semien will be needed in the middle infield. And quite frankly, I'd rather not use him as a bandaid at 3B if he's going to be a 2B/SS long-term. Let him develop him defensively where he protects to be.