Frank Thomas Is a Hall of Famer

southsider2k5

This stuff happens every year. It's basically a Minnesota beat writer doing a favor for a friend.

If you don't think there are 10 guys worthy of a HOF vote and want to use one of your extra spots to throw a bone to a guy you covered, I have no problem with that. If you had to take somebody off your ballot to fit him in, then that's a problem, especially if it happened to be Biggio.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this stat line:

Frank Thomas is one of just three men in history to finish a career with 10,000 plate appearances and a slash line of .300/.400/.550. The other two: Stan Musial and Babe Ruth.

Put that on the board.

There are a lot of great numbers behind Frank Thomas, but this is perhaps the greatest. The combination of contact, plate discipline, and power.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
Megan Thomas ‏@meganthomas35 51m

President Obama just called my husband!! #BigHurtHOF

I was wondering if he called. I figure the most prominent Sox fan would take advantange of being President and making that call. I would.

I'll definitely be in Cooperstown for Frank's induction. I've attended the ceremonies a couple times before so just to warn people, it will be nuts there. If you're coming from out of town book hotels in the next couple days, not weeks.

Frank Thomas was the reason I became a White Sox fan living in NY. I've been waiting for this since the day he retired.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
i sometimes forget those 90s lean years for NYY

must not have been the most appealing baseball fandom to join at that point

We were living in Germany when I became a fan. My dad doesn't pay attention to sports. Prior to our move my granfather and uncle apparently really tried making my brother and I Yankees fans. Thankfully it didn't work.

Greg Maddux said something interesting today. When asked about his minor league career, he said, "You gotta keep moving up. You can't repeat a level."

I thought of some current Sox minor leaguers. It may not be true for every player, but when Greg Maddux says it, there's some truth in it.

I knew this was coming but I'm still pretty giddy about it. I stole this from Hammerhead's signature because it reminds me just how awesome Frank was:

Coming out of the big series in Cleveland in late July, the Big Hurt wasn't doing much for the first-place Chicago White Sox except leading the American League in hitting, runs, walks, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, extra-base hits, ropes, bombs, shortstops moving out of the way of nuclear ground balls, and number of clubhouse boys sent running for more double-strength Mylanta.

Try this on for size: This year, barring a protracted strike, Thomas could break Babe Ruth's records for runs, walks, and extra-base hits in a single season. He could become the first man since Ted Williams to have an on-base percentage of .500 or higher, and the first one since Williams with a slugging percentage above .700. Now here's a sentence without Ruth or Williams: Thomas looks as if he'll be the first man to bat .350, hit 50 home runs, and walk 150 times in one season- period. Oh, and he's after the Triple Crown and Roger Maris's 61 home runs, too.

Basically, he is scaring baseball right out of it's Bikes. Somebody asked Cleveland Indian manager Mike Hargrove the other day how to pitch to Thomas, and he said "Throw it 10 feet in front of the plate and hope he doesn't hit it on the first hop". Already New York Yankee manager Buck Showalter has said he would consider walking him with the bases loaded. "I wish they'd let us put on the masks and shin guards", Cleveland Indians pitcher Dennis Martinez says. "Pitchers shouldn't be left out there alone with him".

Taken from August 8, 1994 issue of Sports Illustrated

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
I knew this was coming but I'm still pretty giddy about it. I stole this from Hammerhead's signature because it reminds me just how awesome Frank was:

Professional sports strikes suck.

Frank's numbers in a 162 game season (by my own math):

54 HR

202 Hits

156 Walks

144 RBIs

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
Professional sports strikes suck.

Frank's numbers in a 162 game season (by my own math):

54 HR

202 Hits

156 Walks

144 RBIs

He really slumped at the start of the second half and was still on that pace. That's unbelievable. At the All Star break he was on pace for

61 HR

219 Hits

159 Walks

147 RBIs

Top that off with a slash line of .383/.515/.795 and you're talking possibly the greatest season of all time. As good as he was, he would have come out of his little mini slump and probably ended up with a slash line very close to his all star break levels. My god was that man a beast.