Frank Thomas Is a Hall of Famer

southsider2k5

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have found the asshole. Ken Gurnick, Dodgers beat reporter on MLB.com, did not vote for Greg Maddux. In fact, he refuses to vote for any player who happened to play in the PED era. He voted for one player, Jack Morris. Gurnick should not be allowed to ever attend another baseball game in his life.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
We have found the asshole. Ken Gurnick, Dodgers beat reporter on MLB.com, did not vote for Greg Maddux. In fact, he refuses to vote for any player who happened to play in the PED era. He voted for one player, Jack Morris. Gurnick should not be allowed to ever attend another baseball game in his life.

Is this the same Dodgers beat writer that gave Chris Sale his first place Cy Young vote?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)

While it's stupid, at least it's consistent if that's his process.

To me, Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas (and maybe Biggio) are getting in tomorrow. And that should be looked as a positive thing rather than focusing on a handful of crackpot voters and steroids users.

Here's how MLB.com writers voted

There are some gem of a ballots in there, including:

Bagwell, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Glavine, Maddux, Morris, Mussina, Palmeiro, Piazza

Bagwell, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Glavine, Maddux, Morris, Piazza, Trammell, Larry Walker

Glavine, Maddux, Morris

Glavine, Maddux, McGriff, Smith, Thomas

Bagwell, Biggio, Glavine, Maddux, Morris, Smith, Trammell

Morris

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
While it's stupid, at least it's consistent if that's his process.

To me, Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas (and maybe Biggio) are getting in tomorrow. And that should be looked as a positive thing rather than focusing on a handful of crackpot voters and steroids users.

What's stupid is that two of the best seasons Morris had came in his late 30s in 1991 & 1992, when the PED had already begun. So he's not consistent at all.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
What's stupid is that two of the best seasons Morris had came in his late 30s in 1991 & 1992, when the PED had already begun. So he's not consistent at all.

Yeah I was going to say...the argument is neither consistent or intelligent. Its just plain stupid.

Updated: Jan.7 - 10:30 ~ 149 Full Ballots ~ (26.1% of vote ~ based on last year)

100% - Maddux

96.6 - Glavine

92.6 - F. Thomas

80.0 - Biggio

———————————

71.1 - Piazza

62.4 - Bagwell

59.1 - Jack (The Jack) Morris

57.7 - Raines

43.0 - Bonds

42.3 - Clemens

38.9 - Schilling

30.2 - Mussina

25.5 - E. Martinez

23.5 - Trammell

23.5 - L. Smith

14.8 - Kent

13.4 - McGriff

10.1 - L. Walker

10.1 - McGwire

8.1 - S. Sosa

6.0 - R. Palmeiro

5.4 - Mattingly

———————————

0.7 - P. Rose (Write-In)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)

Well, its been said that there's an asshole in every crowd and it looks like this guy is proud to be the one. Maybe he didn't like the " chicks dig the long ball" commercials. Glad his vote really won't make a difference.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)

To me, the steroid era ballooned after 1993. Basically 1994-2002/2003. Obviously there was use before that and after that, but it got out of hand in the second half of the 90's.

I'm not going to get into a big thing with Morris. He's more of a borderline case than people want to give him credit for, and that's fine. Close but no cigar it looks like.

But if this guy always voted for Morris and not Trammell or Raines in the past. then at least he's consistent with his process--which is a dumb process.

I have a bigger problem with leaving blank spaces and leaving off Bagwell if you voted for Piazza, or leaving off Mussina if you voted for Glavine.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
To me, the steroid era ballooned after 1993. Basically 1994-2002/2003. Obviously there was use before that and after that, but it got out of hand in the second half of the 90's.

I'm not going to get into a big thing with Morris. He's more of a borderline case than people want to give him credit for, and that's fine. Close but no cigar it looks like.

For me it really seemed to happen with the 1987 rookie race. What happened that year blew away everything that had happened before it in all MLB history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
For me it really seemed to happen with the 1987 rookie race. What happened that year blew away everything that had happened before it in all MLB history.

I can agree with that. Wally Joyner admitted to some stuff later on in his career. But I think it really went crazy in the second half of the 90's.

edit: Wally Joyner was before 87. The 86 race was Joyner and Canseco, so maybe that was the year you meant.

Edited by flavum

There was obviously something going on with McGwire & Canseco, the Bash Brothers.

This is Jack Morris' last year on the ballot. If Gurnick defines the PED era as ending at the end of the 2004 season, with testing having started in 2005, then a player would have to have started his MLB career no earlier than 2005. Since you have to play at least ten seasons and be retired for at least five, the earliest possible year that Gurnick will again be voting for anybody is 2020.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
If you don't want to vote for anyone, that's great -- in some ways, it's better than speculating on who did what. But don't vote for anybody then!

The best thing people can do is not click anything from the writer. Giving them publicity is exactly what they want.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/newsst...ollecting_gizmo

Up to 149 ballots

100% - Maddux

96.6 - Glavine

92.6 - F. Thomas

80.0 - Biggio

———————————

71.1 - Piazza

62.4 - Bagwell

59.1 - Jack (The Jack) Morris

57.7 - Raines

43.0 - Bonds

42.3 - Clemens

38.9 - Schilling

30.2 - Mussina

25.5 - E. Martinez

23.5 - Trammell

23.5 - L. Smith

14.8 - Kent

13.4 - McGriff

10.1 - L. Walker

10.1 - McGwire

8.1 - S. Sosa

6.0 - R. Palmeiro

5.4 - Mattingly

———————————

0.7 - P. Rose (Write-In)

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
When you have 550-600 people making a decision like this, there are always going to be a handful of nut jobs.

Focus on the positive of who gets in.

Especially when that group of people makes more money for drawing attention to themselves.

While Canseco and few were using then, it really wasn't until the early to mid-90's that it became wide spread. In the mid-80's most players were just beginning to lift weights. That is why the actucal time is blurred.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Check this article out: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/art...ids-2637503.php

Tom House says he was doing it in the 70's

The reason is wasn't as effective was that they didn't lift weights back then. He though it would increase endurance and probably did a little. However, without the added workouts the PEDs wouldn't have the same effect.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
While Canseco and few were using then, it really wasn't until the early to mid-90's that it became wide spread. In the mid-80's most players were just beginning to lift weights. That is why the actucal time is blurred.

Yeah, I get that, but for me that stands out as the time that the numbers on the offensive side really changed. The rookie HR record was just destroyed at that point. 40HRs became the new 25.