Paul Konerko Returning to White Sox

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
I've seen "Now if we can just trade Dunn!" appear numerous times here in this thread.

Who in their right mind would ever shell out for Dunn?

Looking at some of the deals for mediocre ass players, that reality has changed a lot since October.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
I've seen "Now if we can just trade Dunn!" appear numerous times here in this thread.

Who in their right mind would ever shell out for Dunn?

More importantly, who in their right mind would trade him, knowing you have to send money and get basically nothing back? He was one of the couple best hitters on the team, and you don't want Paulie getting 600 AB. He doesn't even want that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
More importantly, who in their right mind would trade him, knowing you have to send money and get basically nothing back? He was one of the couple best hitters on the team, and you don't want Paulie getting 600 AB. He doesn't even want that.

We've got 4 choices.

Trade Dunn and get nothing back.

Trade Keppinger and get nothing back

Have either no backup OF or no backup SS on the roster.

A 6 man bullpen.

Take your pick. I don't like any of those, but we have to chose one of them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
We've got 4 choices.

A 6 man bullpen.

Easy choice: Trade Keppinger and get nothing back

He provides little to no value for this team as constructed, and eating part of his salary is a small amount of money. Him leaving doesn't create nearly the whole trading Dunn does.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)

He provides little to no value for this team as constructed, and eating part of his salary is a small amount of money. Him leaving doesn't create nearly the whole trading Dunn does.

Keppinger is owed $4M in '14 and $4.5M in '15. Trade him and send half his salary, someone will take him for 2/4M, get back a nothing prospect to make it look patent. You save a couple mill each of the next two years, and lose nothing you need.

Dunn is owed $15M for '14. No one will pay that, you probably have to send say $7M with him - and get back a B level prospect. Meanwhile, since PK doesn't want to play a lot, meet Andy Wilkins: your new DH. Not pretty. The most you save is maybe $8M, as opposed to $4M... but with you are removing THE SECOND BEST HITTER FROM LAST YEAR's TEAM. And doing next to nothing for the future, as you are only saving an extra $4M and not getting any significant prospect in return.

Remember, their plan here is to rebuild while not completely destroying the current team.

I'll take Door #1.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)

And you can theoretically receive someone like Jose Lobaton in return

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 05:31 PM)
We've got 4 choices.

A 6 man bullpen.

I choose PK-Keppinger-Garcia-Catcher

Leury can play CF so when De Aza needs a rest your covered, when Dayan needs a rest you shift ADA to LF, when Garcia needs rest you move Dayan to RF.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
But at what cost? Nearly every team in the league has moved to utilizing the DH as a way to utilize depth effectively. The early innovators of this (A's, Rays) have seen great success, and there are so few monster DH bats left in the game. That roster spot is valuable -- especially if it allows some younger guys to get the PT they need.

Teams that win WS rings do not observe this approach. Papi is 100% DH, the Rays and A's have combined for less World Series wins in the last 20 years than the White Sox. The approach does help keep guys fresher throughout the regular season, but in the playoffs those big bats are what make the difference. And as far as every team in the league, it is really only about three teams, the Rays, A's, and Orioles, and thats only cause they can't find anyone better to DH. The Angels and Ranger played some regulars there this season, but that was mostly due to injuries to Pujols and Berkman.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 06:26 PM)
I don't know if having Konerko on the team really sets the bench. Beckham could probably play a few games at SS in a pinch. Alexei rarely if ever needs a day off. So a bench or Danks, Flowers/Phegley, Keppinger, and Konerko could work too.

Yup, we've got the versatility to make it happen.

Either the one you purpose or the one i just posted both work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
We've got 4 choices.

A 6 man bullpen.

Dunn has value he will bring back something if traded. Given the current landscape, his contract is not unreasonable.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
Dunn has value he will bring back something if traded. Given the current landscape, his contract is not unreasonable.

I still disagree with this. The only thing Adam Dunn does valuable is up at the plate against right handed pitching. I don't even want to call it hitting anymore, because he hits some homers and draws some walks. He's an incredibly flawed player who has become more flawed as a member of the White Sox.

Playing him in the outfield is similar to playing Paul Konerko in the outfield. Playing him at 1B is probably worse than that. He just does nothing well in the field any more. He can't run, he doesn't hit for a good average, and he strikes out a ton.

He's, at best, a 1-2 WAR player being paid $15 million this year. The only thing not unreasonable about it is that it's only for 1 year, but, again, why wouldn't a team find it easier to go with a guy like Garrett Jones or Generic AAA Slugger over Adam Dunn right now? If they feel Adam Dunn can make that much of a difference, they'll trade for him come midseason and pay 1/2 to 1/3 of his salary.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
I still disagree with this. The only thing Adam Dunn does valuable is up at the plate against right handed pitching. I don't even want to call it hitting anymore, because he hits some homers and draws some walks. He's an incredibly flawed player who has become more flawed as a member of the White Sox.

Playing him in the outfield is similar to playing Paul Konerko in the outfield. Playing him at 1B is probably worse than that. He just does nothing well in the field any more. He can't run, he doesn't hit for a good average, and he strikes out a ton.

He's, at best, a 1-2 WAR player being paid $15 million this year. The only thing not unreasonable about it is that it's only for 1 year, but, again, why wouldn't a team find it easier to go with a guy like Garrett Jones or Generic AAA Slugger over Adam Dunn right now? If they feel Adam Dunn can make that much of a difference, they'll trade for him come midseason and pay 1/2 to 1/3 of his salary.

If JDA never hits, and Paulie Eeyore's his way to a Memorial Day retirement, I will at least acknowledge the benefit of these offseason moves if I never have to see the bolded ever again. I hope it was just a fluke that he hit better while playing the field - the compromise is virtually never worth it in his case.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 06:38 PM)
If JDA never hits, and Paulie Eeyore's his way to a Memorial Day retirement, I will at least acknowledge the benefit of these offseason moves if I never have to see the bolded ever again. I hope it was just a fluke that he hit better while playing the field - the compromise is virtually never worth it in his case.

If JDA never hits the answer is to keep playing him. Yet somehow I don't see that happening.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
I don't know if having Konerko on the team really sets the bench. Beckham could probably play a few games at SS in a pinch. Alexei rarely if ever needs a day off. So a bench or Danks, Flowers/Phegley, Keppinger, and Konerko could work too.

Alexei had zero days off last year until August because Beckham is not playing short.

Anyone think that they trade off Keppinger and Elmore makes the roster for his ability to play everywhere and emergency catch?

Bench:

Back up catcher

Konerko/Dunn (based on who starts that day)

Garcia (IF/OF)

Elmore (IF/OF/emergency catcher)

Chances are, Konerko or Dunn on the bench are still going to get an at-bat every game hitting for the catcher late in the game. I know teams are iffy about taking the starting catcher out of the game, but with an emergency catcher like Elmore on the team, it could make them not worry about that so much if he only had to catch for an inning after the replacement were to get injured (big if that the backup would come in and get hurt). Just a thought and another option for the team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)
Alexei had zero days off last year until August because Beckham is not playing short.

Beckham did play short in 2 games this year and would be just fine to start there in the 1 or 2 theoretical games that Alexei could potentially take off during the year.

So the Sox say they owe it to Konerko to go out on his own terms. How about they owe it to the fans to stop BSing us. Oh yea we want to compete. Konerko was paid massive amounts of money to play for the Sox. You don't owe him anything. Try owing the fans a winner. The White Sox "family" atmosphere includes guys like Baines, Ventura and Konerko but the fans are not part of the family. Apparently we are the red-headed step child.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside